Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impression - The Elder Scrolls Online

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Impression - The Elder Scrolls Online

The Elder Scrolls is about to go online for the first time. Will this trip to Tamriel be worth it?

IMPRESSION
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 02-11-2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Correcting article type
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

What little has leaked out of the CBT has pretty much killed what little interest I had in the game as a MMO. That being said, I'm not an ES fan so YMMV.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    The game feels too single-player to warrant a monthly subscription IMO. PvP...I have Guild Wars 2 for World vs World.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    The game feels too single-player to warrant a monthly subscription IMO. PvP...I have Guild Wars 2 for World vs World.
    The single player feel is actually what has gotten me into the game, and why I have pre ordered it.

There are issues though, especially around the lack of loot in the game. Ultimately rewards and drops are too far apart and uncommon. Also like stated before, the opponents lack ai.

Hopefully they make some changes in that regard for release. Whether or not I make an on going sub will be determinant on them making some fundamental changes.

This preview pretty much hit what I felt for this game exactly. After playing in a few betas, I find that I think the game has potential, but it will have a lot of work on its hands. I don't think this game is good enough for a sub quite yet. I will probably buy the game for the PS4 but I have no desire to pre-order it or anything.

I can't wait to run into my buddies Sephiroth666 and Stoner1993 in the world of Tamriel!!
    Oh wait, no I don't.

Yeah, but as a single-player TES fan (and also as someone who played WoW and other MMOs for a while), the idea of not being able to just wander around the world and smack enemies around without a quest involved sounds totally crazy. Why the heck did they do that? What's going to happen when people run out of quests to do?

(I played WoW mostly as a solo player - running around the world exploring, beating up random monsters for the heck of it, collecting crafting mats - i.e, Random Undirected Activities - filled up a great deal of my time. As it has in several other MMOs I've played around with. And that kind of Wander & Explore gameplay is 90% of what I do in the solo TES games. From both points of view, what the impression described seems less than ideal.)

I do look forward to exploring the other provinces we have yet to see, but other than that, this doesn't sound like a very worthy investment of my time and money. Hopefully they will still be doing betas next month because my datacap is about to jump (still sucky at 100gigs though).

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'm just not sure Zenimax understands that in this particular MMO design, it has alienated an awful lot of the people who are actually fans of the Elder Scrolls games and setting. Yeah, stupid people mean that you have to put limits on what characters are free to do in MMOs, but there was an opportunity here to make something different and interesting. Yet another theme park MMO just isn't going to cut it anymore, particularly when a similar MMO with a far more popular franchise (SWTOR) failed to meet expectations.

(TG: Check out Teksavvy if it's available in your area. I've got 300 gigs a month from them with my basic DSL service. Used to be 200 but when the big telecoms tried to force 25 gig caps on the entire industry, Teksavvy raised it to 300 in celebration of that attempt being thwarted. )

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I really like how they are going with the 3 realms metric, which is what will probably get me to try it out, since I was a huge fan of DAoC.

And it sounds like it will be possible to level without having to do PvE? For me, I play an MMO 100% for the PvP, so if I could NOT have to do a single quest, or NOT have to kill a single MOB, then it's the kind of game I'd be into! (I did the same in SWTOR, actually. Once I hit level 10, I never did PvE again, and got all the way to 50 through PvP, and got all my gear that way, as well, and I thought it was quite awesome.).

Interestingly, I'm a fan of the franchise, too. But when I play it as an MMO, my priorities will be different.
    Last edited by MobiusZero; 02-11-2014 at 02:24 PM.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    You don't unlock PvP until level 10. You HAVE To grind to 10 before you can PvP.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Hi all,

I decided to register simply due to the fact that i am very dissapointed with the impression piece while the game is still under nda. I strongly encourage anyone on rpg gamer that will be reviewing or doing future beta impressions to ensure at the apsolute mininum to do the pvp, dungeons and aim for around level 15 at least before reviewing the game. I am a avid rpg gamer and love the reviews you guys put up as well as impressions. However I do expect more of your reviewiers/impressionts compared to every other site out there. Given I can not talk about the game yet I will state that this is most fun i have had in a rpg in over a decade and thats from playing over a 100 different rpgs during that time frame. If you do get a chance to play once again I strongly encourage play until you at least get to level 8. You are simply short handing yourselves from one of the best gaming experiences i have ever had the pleasure of participating in otherwise. Once again I respect your opinion and understand the starting areas lead to a bad first impression especially to people seeking to try out the game. I encourage open discussions and cant wait till the nda is lifted

Awww, RPG Gamer used to be a tabletop website. Now it's for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Their impressionists were quite good though. I know this because I never disagreed with their opinion.

*wink*
    Last edited by InstaTrent; 02-11-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Its honestly not your fault Insta its just infuriating. I honestly wish Zenimax would have set it up in a way that a review can not be posted until public dungeons, pvp has been played and level 15 has been hit. I cant count how many reviews where the reviewer stated they didnt level past say level 5? Now you can argue they should have done a better job hooking people in but it just seems like the comparison between the press impressions and beta testers are like night and day. I am aware that the press beta did not have access to the pvp so maybe thats a part of it. I appreciate all the awesome news and reviews you guys do im just pissed because press nda is off and those of us that have 100+ beta hours cant post any reviews ;( That and it just dosnt seem like people are playing the same game.

Anyways thanks for your impression. I have no idea how long you played so it is unfair of me to critisze ;( The only construstive I would offer is please do not use the term pay wall in aspect to this game. While Imperials may be a new race your race makes such a minimal diffrence I feel its more of a skin then anything else (until such a time that racial abilites are listed if imperial gives you a gross advantage over other races that feel free to call it a pay wall all you want . Hope you did enjoy atleast some of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Abalon View Post
    The only construstive I would offer is please do not use the term pay wall in aspect to this game.
    I wonder what else I could call a system that blocks me from having or doing something unless I pay real money.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

I suppose its more of a difference in opinion I view a pay wall as you need to play 20 dollars to have access to this dungeon, pvp zone something to that effect Neverwinter nights is a good example of this with their content packs. Having access to a race being a pay wall *shrug* it just comes across as exageration i guess? Once again I understand that its more a problem with pr issues and might just be a difference of opinion i kinda view the imperial addition more akin to like a new skin you can get for one of your characters in a rpg that might have a slight change in stats?

Also to be honest Insta I cant wait for the nda to be lifted and the game to come out. I am either hoping for 1 of 2 things game becomes a huge hit and everyone loves it. Or game comes out and people that dont like or care for it just stop talking about it and move on to whatever they want. You have to agree that the amount of hate the game is getting is obsurd compared to any other game launch in memory. Its like star wars old republic x100(just look at some of the reddit post last week). Once again i do'nt expect all positive and glowing impressions/reviews because the negatives will help the company to improve the product for the rest of us.
    Last edited by Abalon; 02-11-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: formating

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Wait what? RPGamer is for sale?
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by goateguy View Post
    Wait what? RPGamer is for sale?
    Nope, RPGamer is not, but RPG Gamer is.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

People like to credit us with more Gs than we have.