Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIS America Announcement Spectacular

NIS America Announcement Spectacular

NIS America's annual press event brought about a few interesting announcements. Three new RPGs, along with Danganronpa 2, are heading this way in 2014.

Story here!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Fairy Fencer F... why do I feel like it's a trap? I am not trusting Compile Heart with any money until one of our fine reviewers has suffered through it and told me whether it's awful.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Definitely getting Disgaea 4 Return. The others I'm on the fence about. Danganronpa 2 is likely though, I think I'll enjoy the first one.

Fairy Fencer F is one I'll probably like if it doesn't make me grind boring quests over and over to move on in the story. I disliked Victory for that(but liked mk2).

Disgaea 4 is something I hope to pick up someday but the others I"m not sure about. I can probably deal or even enjoy the stories, but I'm not so sure yet on the gameplay.

When I get a Vita, I'll get Disgaea 4 (again) but Compile Heart is going to have to earn my money.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I am.... intrigued by the beat'em up RPG. The art isn't entirely my cuppa (holy cuteness), but oh my goodness does it look fun.

Danganronpa 2 already greenlit?

Take it away, Mr Bryan!
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Uematsu working with Compile Heart? How the mighty have fallen.
    Fairy Fencer looks just enough like Hyperdimension Neptunia to make me cringe. Never again.

Battle Princess of Arcadias caught my attention, though. Looks kinda like an Odin Sphere clone (that's a good thing).
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)

Quote Originally Posted by ironmage View Post
    Uematsu working with Compile Heart? How the mighty have fallen.
    Fairy Fencer looks just enough like Hyperdimension Neptunia to make me cringe. Never again.

Battle Princess of Arcadias caught my attention, though. Looks kinda like an Odin Sphere clone (that's a good thing).
    Uematsu working for Compile Heart is not a "mighty has fallen" He's a free agent who does work on a number of different projects for different entities (including anime titles too)
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Uematsu working for Compile Heart is not a "mighty has fallen" He's a free agent who does work on a number of different projects for different entities (including anime titles too)
    This right here. Besides that, it also means he's gaining even more experience composing for other genres, which can only mean good things for music lovers. He IS one of the few legendary Japanese RPG gaming composers after all, whose ranks include Shoji Meguro and Yoko Shimomura.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I know Uematsu is freelance, and that's kinda the point.

Compile Heart is responsible for some of the worst games in existence. A freelancer who is in demand can pick-and-choose from the better jobs, and can afford to turn down a job if it might damage his reputation.

Now, maybe they're paying Uematsu really well, or maybe he's just slumming between real jobs. Maybe he has some reason to believe this is going to be a good game. Maybe things work differently in Japan, I don't know. But if Compile Heart is the best gig he can get, then I would say he wasn't doing very well. Mistwalker at least I could respect.

I hope I'm wrong. But Hyperdimension Neptunia was the worst game I have ever played, and I view anything connected to Compile Heart with extreme prejudice.

CH exaggerated Uematsu's level of involvement with the game just like Amano's (who only did some concept art). He did the main theme and a battle theme. The rest is by ZIZZ members, other Earthbound Papas members and the resident Idea Factory composer.

There are some fun tracks, but it's not a particularly impressive soundtrack.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Fairy Fencer F... why do I feel like it's a trap? I am not trusting Compile Heart with any money until one of our fine reviewers has suffered through it and told me whether it's awful.
    While I did play it at TGS 2013, I had a hard time saying anything other than "it's adequate" when it came to an impression. I didn't have enough time at the demo to get into the battle system, which DID seem to be an improvement over earlier CH games I've played, nor did the story get a chance to show me that it was more than the usual moe-fest. The fact that a lot of the official artwork out months before the game released was already verging on Rule 34 territory... that does not inspire much confidence in me either.

Quote Originally Posted by tootbrush View Post
    CH exaggerated Uematsu's level of involvement with the game just like Amano's (who only did some concept art). He did the main theme and a battle theme. The rest is by ZIZZ members, other Earthbound Papas members and the resident Idea Factory composer.
    Thanks. If his involvement was minor, that makes me feel a bit better. I'll go with the "slumming it between real jobs" interpretation, and add "misleading marketing" to Compile Heart's list of sins.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmage View Post
    Thanks. If his involvement was minor, that makes me feel a bit better. I'll go with the "slumming it between real jobs" interpretation, and add "misleading marketing" to Compile Heart's list of sins.
    Not really really. Uematsu has only had passing work done in FF for YEARS and he's still listed as a composer for them. The industry is very different in JP then in other countries (like they don't do royalties) so he could really just needed the work or he could wanted to do it. Lots of reasons
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I am still playing through D4 on the PS4. I swear I do not recall any of the other Disgaea's requiring so much leveling / grinding / etc to just get through the main story portion. I've reincarnated everyone twice, and level up their weapons, and I'm still getting my rear handed to me by the S rank mobs they throw out on the last chapter. Yesh. While I loved doing D3 again on the Vita (yeah PSN Plus!), I'm not sure I'm up for ANOTHER go around of D4, ROFL. I do like the story and characters, though. For sardines!

Not really really.
    Not really....what? Are you trying to say that I don't really feel better? Are you saying that two tracks out of forty-one is more significant than it looks? Are you saying that I shouldn't try to interpret what looks like a bad situation in the best light possible?

I picked up the Last Story partly because Uematsu's name was on the cover, but I found the music mostly forgettable. That was worrisome. If Uematsu is relying on work from companies like Compile Heart, that's bad. But if he's just helping out a bit here and there between major projects, then it doesn't mean too much.

Uematsu has only had passing work done in FF for YEARS and he's still listed as a composer for them.
    For Compile Heart to give Uematsu top billing over only two tracks is just as disingenuous as if S/E were to do the same thing with an FF game.

What's the point of this exchange, anyway? I'm expressing concern over the state of Uematsu's career, and that's pretty much it. If you're trying to make me feel better, you're not helping. Try posting a link to a recent Uematsu soundtrack that you think is particularly well done, or something.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    It's his life, don't you forget. The man composes for I assume those who interest him. Who are we to know how the minds of composer gods work?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Last Story had an awesome soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    It's his life, don't you forget. The man composes for I assume those who interest him.
    I know, I know. I'm just making random suppositions based on insufficient information, in a desperate attempt to construct a plausible delusion that allows me to reconcile an apparent connection between one of my favorite composers and my most hated game company. "Cognitive dissonance in action". Please don't take anything I'm saying seriously.

The music for Project Phoenix is going to turn out to be absolutely fantastic, and then we can all look back on this and laugh.

Who are we to know how the minds of composer gods work?
    But even the gods must face Ragnarok, someday...

Quote Originally Posted by Aurian View Post
    Last Story had an awesome soundtrack
    It wasn't a bad soundtrack, by any means, but I think I went in with my expectations set too high. I still have snippets of FF6's soundtrack stuck in my head after all these years, but nothing in the Last Story affected me that way.