Thread: RPGCast - Episode 296: "Canada is Far"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 296: "Canada is Far"

RPGCast - Episode 296: "Canada is Far"

Manny educates Chris on the importance of Canadian libraries. Chris recounts his adventures of prospecting land in Everquest Next Landmark. That's pretty much it, other than a bunch of Nintendo announcements.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/296

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Canada is Far"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    hurray you used my title suggestion! i always feel so special when that happens.

Here's a news item for the next RPG Cast...

World of Warcraft Challenge Modes and Rewards for Mists of Pandaria are going away. Not with patch 5.4.7, but they will go away in a pre-patch released shortly before the next expansion, Warlords of Draenor. No one knows yet how far off that is, but my guess would be 3-6 months. If you play WoW and want CM transmog armor ("transmog" = "for flashy looks only"), or an Ancestral Phoenix mount, get them now.

Source: A direct quote from Blizzard, on their forums. Here it is. The "in the spirit of fair play" line is a little questionable, because people can and have paid others in-game gold (typically 90,000 to 130,000 g) to be "carried" through challenge modes.

"Countless adventurers continue to brave the most trying versions of Mists of Pandaria dungeons, but the clock is ticking. This “season” of Challenge Modes will be coming to an end with the upcoming release of a patch prior to the expansion’s release.

Challenge Modes are designed to offer as close to a “normalized” difficulty as possible, and they’re tuned to be tough to master. With Warlords of Draenor’s class changes, itemization changes (e.g. the removal of Hit and Expertise), and—of course—increased level cap on the horizon, the difficulty of Mists of Pandaria’s dungeons will no longer be tuned the same as they were. In the spirit of fair play, when the aforementioned patch is released a little while before the new expansion launches, the current slate of Challenge Mode dungeons will no longer be available, and the achievements they award will be converted to Feats of Strength. The reward items will still be available for purchase by those who qualified prior to the end of the season, but it will not be possible for new players to earn those rewards going forward.

If you still need to earn your Undaunted title, Ancestral Phoenix, or class-specific Transmogrification sets, now’s the time to get out there and prove your worth. In Warlords of Draenor, an entirely new set of Challenge Modes will be available . . . and with them an array of new rewards for you to earn. Until then, stay sharp!"

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    hurray you used my title suggestion! i always feel so special when that happens.
    But Canada is near! It's right under my butt!

(This statement to be taken entirely literally.)
    Last edited by Ocelot; 02-16-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Lol.....makes me think of the song "Blame Canada" from South Park The Movie. Yeah South Park! Gotta love the Robin Williams performance of the song at the awards show that year. Btw...I hold no ill will to our friendly neighbors to the north. :-P
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    But Canada is near! It's right under my butt!

(This statement to be taken entirely literally.)
    canada is far from my face!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    First off, way to intentionally misinterpret Chris' argument to make him look bad, Manny.

I think it's pretty clear what Chris means regarding the topic of extremism in the feminism debate. Simply saying "oh that's everything," is not an excuse to essentially shout down calls for more civil discourse. That, more than anything, is the problem with the current feminism debate in regards to video games. There are no moderate voices out there, no room in between "the breasts are too large, BURN THE DEVELOPERS AT THE STAKE!" and "MAKE ME A SANDWICH, WOMAN!" The two sides are as far on the spectrum as possible, and instead of the sort of common ground needed for meaningful evolution in the industry, we shout each other down with increasing vitriol, and it becomes increasingly clear to developers and publishers that it's just safer to have as few female characters in their games or employees in their offices as possible, if only to stay out of the fecal flinging frenzy.

As the current partisan gridlock in Washington shows us, the best way to ensure nothing happens at all is to scream "my way or the highway" at the top of your lungs and focus not on convincing people that you're right, but convincing them to bow out of the discussion entirely. That's not a healthy approach to discussing real issues of any sort, and it shouldn't be codified by saying it's okay because it's everywhere.

I just defended Chris.

I need to take a shower.

Maybe three.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Canada is some six hours or so by car away from me. Not too far away.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Man, there are lots of moderate voices in the debate about the portrayal of women in video games. Like, tons. Way more than extremist voices. People just don't notice or listen to them. Nobody clicks on or comments on articles that aren't shouty, or if they do, they do so to claim that a moderate person is actually an extremist, in order to move the bar. It's a problem on the Internet.

The most annoying people often are the ones that attract the most people to their stuff, especially on the internet. I have more discussions with moderates than other types, but I can say that extreme one way or the other has often irritated me to the point where I couldn't forget it if I tried and thus leaves me a little sour. For example, there are people out there that say sexism this and that and if you don't agree with them you are sexists and a bad person, which is a completely ridiculous mindset to be in. But then, people hear someone talk about something in a less confrontational/insane way and even if they agree it usually goes in one ear and out the other.

People are hard, yo.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Not to That Guy, but I find it difficult to ignore that the people who most often claim that extremists views prevent them from engaging seriously with this topic are the group that have the least to lose if things were to remain the way they are. There is a reason why feminists are doing everything they can to force people to take a position on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Not to That Guy, but I find it difficult to ignore that the people who most often claim that extremists views prevent them from engaging seriously with this topic are the group that have the least to lose if things were to remain the way they are. There is a reason why feminists are doing everything they can to force people to take a position on this.
    Seriously? So people with nuanced opinions are simply championing the status quo? I'm sorry, but calling out the anti-sex "feminists" who have gone past pushing for equality and have moved into male shaming isn't a sign that you're against gender equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot
    Man, there are lots of moderate voices in the debate about the portrayal of women in video games. Like, tons. Way more than extremist voices. People just don't notice or listen to them. Nobody clicks on or comments on articles that aren't shouty, or if they do, they do so to claim that a moderate person is actually an extremist, in order to move the bar. It's a problem on the Internet.
    I'll give you that. It's not just the internet. Fox News and MSNBC have made it a habit of branding anyone who isn't lock step with them as raving lunatics. Seriously, when it comes to news, just stick to local broadcasts and AP articles online.

There is a difference between critiquing the more extreme views and using them as an excuse to avoid the topic entirely. If you don't feel like you're doing that, then perhaps I misread the intention behind your post, but that's more or less what Chris was doing when he tried to shut down the discussion with Manny before it started. If people want the discussion to be "nuanced", then they need to share their nuanced opinions. Wash your hands of it and you let the wrong guy off the hook.
    Last edited by Drav; 02-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    There is a difference between critiquing the more extreme views and using them as an excuse to avoid the topic entirely. If you don't feel like you're doing that, then perhaps I misread the intention behind your post, but that's more or less what Chris was doing when he tried to shut down the discussion with Manny before it started. If people want the discussion to be "nuanced", then they need to share their nuanced opinions. Wash your hands of it and you let the wrong guy off the hook.
    To a point, I agree with you. However, people get exasperated when caught in the middle of a screaming room with two sides reduced to calling each other names and screaming at one another. Obviously people need to share a more diverse array of opinions, but you have to be pretty steely to get in and be the adult surrounded by that many children.

How about I just give an example of what's out there and worth reading, if you're only willing to take a look?

Witches, Wise Women, and Widows: A Cultural Look at Viking RPG The Banner Saga

It's about gaming, it's about society. It's about why it's important to talk about this stuff... because it teaches us about ourselves and helps us see things from a different point of view. The author retains her personal conviction (which I share) that holds that the roles we play in society and video games should not be restricted by our genders, but also looks at the strong points of a more traditional (yet different from the tradition we're used to) system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    How about I just give an example of what's out there and worth reading, if you're only willing to take a look?

Witches, Wise Women, and Widows: A Cultural Look at Viking RPG The Banner Saga

It's about gaming, it's about society. It's about why it's important to talk about this stuff... because it teaches us about ourselves and helps us see things from a different point of view. The author retains her personal conviction (which I share) that holds that the roles we play in society and video games should not be restricted by our genders, but also looks at the strong points of a more traditional (yet different from the tradition we're used to) system.
    That was deeply interesting. Using ancient social norms not as an excuse to demean or lessen women in the game, but to portray a very different, but equally important type of strength. Definitely an interesting article, and a prime example of what we need to see more of in games set in these fantasy settings.

I wonder if the Bravely Default character, said to have an annoying voice was Airy?!
    She is a fairy and I guess fairy voice-acting does tend to rub people up the wrong way.

But what I actually wanted to ask was whether there were a lot of RPGs which give better rewards for playing on a hard mode?
    Because most of the ones I've played, have actually decreased the rewards just to add to the challenge...

...Well except for the usual bragging rights achievements they add to games. (Shame that is only really an option for SquareEnix members in Japan.)

As for the not-so-next current gen, couldn't Chris just call it something else? E.g. maybe "new-current gen", or "new gen".
    (Although I guess he would have to be very vocal to get it to stick elsewhere.)