Thread: The Active Topical Banter Show - Episode 1: Famine, War, Pestilence, Death and Bias

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar

Cool The Active Topical Banter Show - Episode 1: Famine, War, Pestilence, Death and Bias

RPGamer has a new editorial roundtable podcast. They're coming out of the gate with a the twin questions of 'Is objectivity possible?' and "Is it worth attempting?', the answers will surprise and infuriate.

Download Audio

New Member Member
    I think the traditional model of game reviews is not as relevant today as it once was. Pure text based reviews which attach a score don't have as much as an impact for me personally. When I'm interested in a game, it usually only takes a quick search of gameplay footage on youtube to make a decision on whether I believe I will enjoy a game or not. I also prefer recommendations via podcasts, as listening to someone talk about a game in a positive way has a greater influence on me than any text based review. I have added countless awesome games to my backlog which I would have otherwise missed if not for podcasts such as the RPG Backtrack. Hearing Phil, Mike, or other guests talk about their experiences with certain games piques my interest in an almost salesman like fashion.

I believe reviews and impressions can impact sales or public perception of a game. We can look back to the release of Nier when the infamous joystiq review came out, and most peoples first exposure to a great game was a reviewer struggling at a minigame because he was unable to read and follow in game instructions. The video was extremely exaggerated and created for the sole purpose of generating clicks. I too would have passed up Nier if I hadn't heard it praised here on RPGamer during the game of the year podcast. I've learned to distrust the big media reviewers because one reviewer may be playing and/or reviewing multiple games at once, and have a lower tolerance for some of the nuances of rpgs, or a game may be given to a reviewer unfamiliar with the genre. Just the fact that RPGamer requires a reviewer to complete the game is a huge bonus to its credibility as with knowing the reviewers have a wide knowledge set of other rpg experiences in which to draw comparisons to because of the site's singular focus on the genre.

Interesting topic. I enjoyed the first show and look forward to more.
    Last edited by DeadBow; 02-17-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    enough about the show. who enjoys my most fantastic logo?

I can't wait to listen....I can't wait to listen!
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    enough about the show. who enjoys my most fantastic logo?
    I do! It is indeed awesome.

I look to reviews for those games I'm either pensive about or just curious about but don't know much about. I do, however, like to read review for games I'm looking forward to to see what reviewers thought. I do enjoy it when the review is positive, and while I may get disappointed if that isn't the case, it's the game, not the person reviewing it. That's also only assuming that other reviews have followed suit and agree that the game is either poor or lacking in certain areas. Regardless, it's ridiculous to get mad at the reviewer, and I really can't believe how far some people will go in response to reviews.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I'm looking forward to the RSS feed going up so I can give this a listen. I'm all up for new podcasts.

(I just prefer to have BeyondPod being able to grab it for me automagically, and so I can listen at 2x)

the rss feed lives! a direct itunes link will be available once a hi-res logo can be found,

oh Sam, you make my laugh everytime!
    I have to say that beside this site, I don't read review. But here is an other story, I am always sure that it's done the best way and I find all your review to have a lot of weight in my decision to buy or not a game.
    That and Phil taking about some of is game he can't live without in the rpgBacktrack

On the topic of objective vs subjective, most of what I would have said was covered already. However I do believe the main flaw with most readers is any sort of expectation of objectivity. From my point of view, the entire point of a review is a subjective, biased opinion. People should seek out reviewers that show similar tastes that to themselves. Objectivity in and of itself is flawed thinking, short of a simple statement of facts, which you can read on the back of the box most of the time, and not what most readers really want despite it being what they think they want. They really want a biased, subjective review that agrees with their own biases.

When I read a review, I find that there are 3 things I do first. Look at the author- there are some I trust and several I know have generally bad taste in games, then I glance at the scores and any pro/cons lists, and then I read the final paragraph, which should be a summary. Depending on those three things I will decide whether the rest of the review is worth my time, and I will usually then either skim or really read through the rest of the review.
    Last edited by smacd; 02-22-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Woo! Finally listened to it at work the other day and let me tell you what...That was certainly an exciting start to a brand new podcast! I really enjoyed listening to it even though I disagreed with the opinions given in the episode. The presenters did a really good job giving their opinion on the subject which did a good job of keeping me engaged in what was going on rather than tuning it out (as I have been known to do on specific podcasts that bore me or irritate me). Keep up the great work

Edit: thought about topics to cover (based upon a conversation from rpgcast yesterday). Race and/or sexuality of characters in rpgs. ...specifically like Syrian and whatnot.
    Last edited by goateguy; 03-02-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: new thought

Darn you, Must you folks eat up all my podcast listening time. At least this one won't make me want to spend large amounts of money like RPG Backtrack does........

almost like we do that on purpose....

but glad you like, i mean we're only a monthly show for now, so that shouldn't demand too much of your ear time. but if you do have any more time there might be some other shows in my signature you should check out...