Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPGamer Mailbag presents: Final Fantasy Opened Mind Second Chance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar

RPGamer Mailbag presents: Final Fantasy Opened Mind Second Chance

What is this? A contest, or more aptly named ADVENTURE where you replay your most hated/least favorite Final Fantasy game with an open mind and then write in your experiences to the RPGamer Mailbag, where I'll be sharing my own experiences as well.

When does this run? From now until the end of April, but it will be extended if a lot of people are still trying to finish.

Is there a prize? Yeah, I'll buy one random participant an RPG of their choice from this year.

How will the winner be selected? I'll create bots in Unreal Tournament 3 with all your names and see who comes out the winner.

Are there rules? Somewhat. You really need to take the FF game on its own terms and truly give it a second chance, which means I'll promptly bin any entries along the likes of "OMG FFXIII's LINEARITY IS AWFUL STILL", "IF ONLY FFXI WEREN'T AN MMO", etc. I want people to really give these games a second chance, as I'll be doing. You are welcome to substitute your #1 most hated for your 2nd or 3rd if there's a particular reason you don't want to play your most hated. For example, if you really don't want to pay for XI's monthly fee. This is for main series titles, but I will allow the following offshoots:

These direct sequels: The After Years, X-2, XIII-2 (too early for Lightning Returns).
    Final Fantasy Tactics (if you hate it for some bizarre reason).
    Final Fantasy Type-0
    Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
    Final Fantasy Dimensions
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

That's it, fire up an FF and (hopefully) have some fun. When complete you should email me your writeup for the rpgamer mailbag at wheels@rpgamer.com or in the RPGamer Mailbag thread.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Wheels; 02-20-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    There is a part of me that wants to take part in this and give FFX a try again. I couldn't get into it, X-2 OR XII. I also have XIII-2 which I grabbed back when it was less than ten bucks on PSN and I wasn't planning on playing it until I saw the FF13 recap and laughed my head off over how stupid the plot of XIII-2 seemed. My only issue may be not being able to start right away since I am drowning in tests! (Reading week is next week. Yay week off!)

Hey you can't give XIII-2 a second chance if you haven't already suffered through it once :P

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I suffered through it via videos and all the staff's whining and complaints. I THINK IT COUNTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I suffered through it via videos and all the staff's whining and complaints. I THINK IT COUNTS.
    Well you aren't eligible for the prize anyway so OK.

As for myself, I'll be replaying FFI PS1 (the closest version I think to the original NES game which I refuse to play given how slow the battles are, I liked the PSP/GBA versions just fine), FFX-2, and XIII-2 time permitting.
    Last edited by Wheels; 02-20-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Classic Console Junkie redwing42's Avatar
    If I didn't have so many other games on the burner right now, I'd go back and play FFII again. Wait, no I wouldn't. Why would I do that to myself? Because, MAN, did that game suck.

I did a back and forth with Wheels the other day. FF7 and FFX were my least favorites by a long shot, but I only played FFX about two years ago for the first time, and I've actually already tried this with FF7 (and decided I hated it even more afterwards). So I'll be playing FF2. I didn't hate the game, but I was mostly neutral on it. However its probably the "most negative" opinion on an FF game that I haven't played in a significant amount of time (and it tends to be pretty hated among the general populous). I'll be playing the Android version. The last time I played it was probably the FF Origins PSX version when it came out.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I'd join this, if it were not for the fact that my most hated is FF12, and that game is just too long to replay on a whim.

Hmm.... Does it count if I simply didn't enjoy the opening part of Final Fantasy Dimensions, but never gave the rest of the game a try (because it cost a decent amount of money and I didn't think it was worth it after that bad opening)?

Ok, so after thinking on this a bit I decided I should try something. I'm never going to be able to beat FF1 because I find the game excruciatingly slow and boring, and I don't want to play FF3 again because that final dungeon ruined an otherwise forgettable and joyless adventure. But there is one game that could qualify for this. A game I started and stopped without really giving it the chance to maybe be more fun for me. So, I will try to beat Final Fantasy 13. I will try my darnedest to enjoy something in the game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    Ok, so after thinking on this a bit I decided I should try something. I'm never going to be able to beat FF1 because I find the game excruciatingly slow and boring, and I don't want to play FF3 again because that final dungeon ruined an otherwise forgettable and joyless adventure. But there is one game that could qualify for this. A game I started and stopped without really giving it the chance to maybe be more fun for me. So, I will try to beat Final Fantasy 13. I will try my darnedest to enjoy something in the game.
    I highly recommend the PSP version of FF1, though sadly it's not on PSN.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    It counts, but I don't think the staff complained TOO much about XIII-2. It was just that the story was even dumber. Not a bad game, though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I actually own the FF1 PSP version. It's the last one I tried to play. It was like $7 at the time, so I was tricked by the cheap price. It looks nice, but it's just a dreadful experience. I can see why the game might have been awesome in the 80's, but I'm one of those people that find it hard to go back to the archaic.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Hmm...I dunno about replaying FF2, but I was thinking of going back and giving Jade Empire another shot. Seems like it has more upside.

Does Mystic Quest count?

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Hmm...I dunno about replaying FF2, but I was thinking of going back and giving Jade Empire another shot. Seems like it has more upside.

Does Mystic Quest count?
    Yes it does. Adding it to the approved list of non-main games.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Can I get a UT3 bot even if I don't participate? :P

Classic Console Junkie redwing42's Avatar
    No takers on FFVIII yet? I enjoyed all the window dressing for that game, but it was probably my least favorite battle system aside from FFII. I hated how the junction system made every character essentially the same. I hated how special attacks were tied to HP or Aura spells, instead of charging up like in VII. I hated that I had to spend 10 minutes on a single battle just to draw spells. Lots of wasted potential on that one.

Hmm, interesting. It would be Final Fantasy IX for me, and I even know where my discs are. Can I gussy up the graphics in an emulator or do I need to have an "authentic retro experience?"
    Rise!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yes it does. Adding it to the approved list of non-main games.
    NOPE you gotta earn it! :P

Quote Originally Posted by redwing42 View Post
    No takers on FFVIII yet? I enjoyed all the window dressing for that game, but it was probably my least favorite battle system aside from FFII. I hated how the junction system made every character essentially the same. I hated how special attacks were tied to HP or Aura spells, instead of charging up like in VII. I hated that I had to spend 10 minutes on a single battle just to draw spells. Lots of wasted potential on that one.
    Multiple have, but there's no limit to how many can take which so feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseitori View Post
    Hmm, interesting. It would be Final Fantasy IX for me, and I even know where my discs are. Can I gussy up the graphics in an emulator or do I need to have an "authentic retro experience?"
    You're more than welcome to play it in an emulator.

You can't pay me to replay FFIII. No one can pay me to do that again. It is the only one I hate. I was mostly disappointed or frustrated with IV, X, XI, and XIII. Only III found a way to permanently earn the bottom tier slot in my rankings.

Also, for those considering replaying FFII, try it with some guides that explain the hidden stat mechanics. It becomes a lot more fun when you know how to manipulate every single action to your advantage.

I actually found FF2 to be a lot of fun because of the way the stat increasing works. Also, FF8 was my first PS FF game, but I actually really like it. I can see why people wouldn't, but at one point I was a Zell master and could put out damage from his limit more than any other character, including the lionheart. I'm at the end of FF9 and my suggestion for that game, if you don't quite enjoy it, is to play it on the PSP and play while watching Netflix. Grinding sessions lose their chore when they're merely hand exercises whilst watching something.