Thread: North America Gets All the Personas

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

North America Gets All the Personas

Atlus USA loves us so much that it has made sure we're getting all the new Personas. All of them. Even the dancing game.

[Personaganza!]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

FAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!! 3DS Persona Chibi Dungeon game!

Other than Persona 5 next year, that's really all I want from this stuff at the moment. I'm actually more hyped for Q than 5.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    This is awesome news. I love the Persona games, so I am really looking forward to Q and 5.

I'm happy when the Persona brand succeeds, but I just don't like the games...

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    FAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!! 3DS Persona Chibi Dungeon game!

Other than Persona 5 next year, that's really all I want from this stuff at the moment. I'm actually more hyped for Q than 5.
    We don't really know enough about 5 to be hyped about it, but yea, I'm kinda with you on that as well. If it's as awesome as Etrian Odyssey Untold, I will be in heaven (figuratively, not poor Nanako's nightmare dungeon)
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Atlus USA loves us so much that it has made sure we're getting all the new Personas. All of them. Even the dancing game.

[Personaganza!]
    I read this to mean that we were somehow going to get Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP now.

[sadface]

Guys Persona 4 Arena and Persona 2 are on sale in the PSN Store.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    I read this to mean that we were somehow going to get Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP now.

[sadface]
    I did say "new."

I did say "new."
    The PSP port would be new to us (presumably a better translation, new portraits, etc.)!

Still, the announcement is good news...
    Last edited by Jitawa; 02-26-2014 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post

[sadface]
    I'll never understand why we haven't gotten that one

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf323 View Post
    I'll never understand why we haven't gotten that one
    PSP sales never really took off, and Vita had already been announced
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    PSP sales never really took off, and Vita had already been announced
    Perfect time for a digital release on the Vita store.

OK, let's get back on the topic of the Persona games we're actually getting, please.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I still want more information on Persona 5. I was sad to hear it's still in a school, I was kinda hoping it's be in DJJ, there'd be a lot to work with in there.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I understand why the school setting works for Persona, though. It's a lot easier to make the kind of casual-acquaintence-to-close-friend social connections that work for the game's sim elements when you're in school than it is after you graduate. Of course, here in North America we think more of college as that kind of time, but in Japan it's high school.

I did kind of hope that Catherine would inspire more Japanese developers to look towards life outside high school, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Either way, I have doubts that Persona is leaving high school anytime soon.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    I understand why the school setting works for Persona, though. It's a lot easier to make the kind of casual-acquaintence-to-close-friend social connections that work for the game's sim elements when you're in school than it is after you graduate. Of course, here in North America we think more of college as that kind of time, but in Japan it's high school.

I did kind of hope that Catherine would inspire more Japanese developers to look towards life outside high school, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Either way, I have doubts that Persona is leaving high school anytime soon.
    Let's just hope that we get some more quirky gems like Catherine from Atlus in the future.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

In the Persona anime, 20-something Akihiko intimates he is less and less able to access his Persona as he ages.

Probably has nothing to do with the video game universe

So... 2015 for Persona 5? Early 2015? Late 2015? Mid-2015? I want to get totally psyched for this, but I'll need to contain myself a bit if we're talking more than a year!

My understanding of gaming/anime on this is two-fold: In Japan they're viewed more-so as a youth interest, and the target audience for anime and games is skewed towards youths and the high school crowd. That's where the market is. Second, a large portion of youth socialization in Japan happens within the framework of high school, and college isn't the same sort of freedom + socializing vibe we have in the U.S. So, if you were an adult looking back, your high school days would likely be the more active time point as opposed to your college life.

The combination of those factors means that the lion's share of anime/game settings have these protagonists that are intended to be around that age-set, and even things set outside of high schools often have protagonists that are put in close analogs or draw similarities in other ways.

You recall the outcry over Raiden as a protagonist in MGS2? It happened because Snake seemed so "old" as to have less traction, or so I understand. Raiden, in contrast, was very popular in Japan. The result is a litany of games where the protagonists are almost always high-school age, and games like FFXII have pointless characters like Vaan and Penelo inserted to relate more to that demographic. Persona's setting alone probably adds a lot to its traction in Japan. It also makes me think that the relative lack of success of Virtue's Last Reward as a VN in comparison to some thing like Danganronpa (which I didn't find as good) is largely because of the setting.

Persona is fortunate enough to actually insert some depth into the setting at least. High school has been the schtick of Persona since it was spawned more or less with "if...". I would've been surprised in this case if they actually did change the setting. I'll save those hopes for a SMTV maybe. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't irked when Valkyria Chronicles went from not-that-young conscripts into an army to... War-high-school in VC2. I trust Atlus in particular to do a good job with Persona 5 though. Persona Q also looks interesting, as I enjoy the Etrian Odyssey series as well.

Well judging by the trailer, I'm guessing that Persona 5 is going to play like the easier game of musical chairs ever.

When the music stops you must sit down!