Thread: Review - Toukiden: The Age of Demons

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Review - Toukiden: The Age of Demons

RPGamers looking to hunt rather large game have a number of organisations and places to ply their trade nowadays. Can the Slayers from the Age of Demons provide any new ideas for their beast-battling brethren?

[ Review ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I'm glad to see that there's a decent amount of story in this game. I do hope to pick this game up at some point, but I think I'm going to wait a while first.

I'm having a lot of fun with this one so far. I like how varied the weapons are from each other, the mitama system, and that you can bring along npcs to adventure with you, which helps a lot if you don't know anyone else playing the game. The only complaint I have so far is that unless one of the big oni are involved, all the fights feel way too easy. Maybe that changes later on?

Only one mention of online play. Why does that sound like a horrible red flag?

From what I've seen while playing, it's similar to Monster Hunter in that you can go to a location in town and play with other people, doing different missions from what there is in single player. You can also do these by yourself or with the npc companions. I haven't tried it with another person yet as none of my friends have picked it up. I'm still having a blast playing it solo, and I actually like the characters, story, and setting quite a bit so far.

Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    Only one mention of online play. Why does that sound like a horrible red flag?
    Not really a red flag, there just isn't really all that much extra to say about it. It exists and is perfectly alright for those who want to play more of it, but you never need to delve into it to complete the game

The missions which just use the small oni are always very easy during the story chapters, although it will through out some "kill 100 of these in six minutes", which is the only time the time limit actually becomes a factor. Attacking the big things is generally the main theme of these games though
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk

Quote Originally Posted by Severin Mira View Post
    Not really a red flag, there just isn't really all that much extra to say about it. It exists and is perfectly alright for those who want to play more of it, but you never need to delve into it to complete the game

The missions which just use the small oni are always very easy during the story chapters, although it will through out some "kill 100 of these in six minutes", which is the only time the time limit actually becomes a factor. Attacking the big things is generally the main theme of these games though
    You never need to delve into multiplayer to complete Call of Duty games either, but its a critical part of the series.

Teaming up with friends/strangers to kill said big things is generally a core factor of these types of games. Generally speaking; the less said about online play, the less there is to killing the big things cause they're simple enough to solo.

It does vary across games, as in other genres including the example you provided. Gods Eater Burst and Toukiden are much more solo friendly, with more thought into story and providing AI allies, and where multiplayer isn't as big a concern as others like MH or Rangarok Odyssey, of which I personally prefer the former. But you are correct, if your preference is more towards the straight out challenge and multiplayer components then it's a fair thing to take away.

Fighting the big monsters solo has been pretty hard for me so far. It still takes a good long while with allies alongside as well, but there's one mission where I had to fight one solo, and even with me being defense oriented I came pretty close to getting wiped. It's not Monster Hunter levels of difficulty for solo, but it isn't a cakewalk either so far.

From what I've played so far, I'm sure it'd be fun with other people.