Thread: Risen 3 Is Titanic

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Risen 3 Is Titanic

Risen is rising a third time, and this time it's looking low on pirates. Perhaps it will have a focus on battles between Hellenic deities instead?

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Disappointing, cuz the pirate setting was one of the few things that kept Risen 2 from being utter garbage. Not enough pirate RPGs, and it did a pretty good job on that front.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Is it my imagination or do a lot of those pics look like they could have been pulled directly out of the first game?

Anyway, I was hoping to see something set on the mainland. The whole "the world is currently being destroyed while we relax on a tropical island" thing sounded like a good set-up for a trilogy.

The first chapters of Risen 1 was fantastic, some of the best stuff Piranha Bytes has ever done. The rest of the game was swung between decent and mediocre, with an incomprehensibly bad final boss battle. I really hoped that Risen 2 would be what Gothic 2 was to Gothic 1, but instead they took the series in a new direction and didn't manage really manage to capture any of the things that made Piranha Bytes' other games good.

A part of me is at least a little optimistic that they're getting a chance to make another game, but I'm not sure Deep Silver is willing to let PB make another hardcore action RPG like Gothic/Risen 1. Without the difficulty and simulation-centric design they're basically just like every other mediocre Euro RPG.

Oh, I thought the title said Titanic because it's going to sink releasing in the same season as Witcher and Dragon Age. >_>

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    Oh, I thought the title said Titanic because it's going to sink releasing in the same season as Witcher and Dragon Age. >_>
    Ha ha, I try not to editorialize that much in news article titles. That's what blurbs or sarcastic forum posts are for.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance