Thread: Fail to the King, Baby - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Fail to the King, Baby - Currents

This week, Gearbox stops 3D Realms in its tracks, Peter Molyneux disses his own game, Xbox underperforms in Japan, and a new Mana game disappoints. We also have some questions to ask you about iOS entries in classic RPG franchises.

CURRENTS

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:
    • What's your opinion on free-to-play iOS entries in classic JRPG series?
    • Do you think micro-transactions will ever feel normal in-game?
    • Is it a big deal that most iOS entries in classic JRPG series will never leave Japan?
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened. The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor.
    Funniest legal document I've ever read.

My favourite part is Molyneux calling the WiiU "clumsy, awkward, and unlikable." I'm pretty sure he was looking in the mirror, and not at a WiiU.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Oh, snap!

Anyway, my 2 cents on the questions of the week:

Pretty much the same way I feel about FTP iOS entries in classic WRPG series. Not made by the same people, having little to do with the actual series, and completely ignorable.

I think it really depends on the game. They kind of work in games in which they fit with the setting, like racing games or sports games or whatever. For games with a strong narrative element, though, it's really offputting.

• Is it a big deal that most iOS entries in classic JRPG series will never leave Japan?

If they are stuffed with abusive IAP Skinner Box bull honkey, they can stay there forever as far as I'm concerned.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Since my answers for two of the questions are literally "What Ocelot said up there", I'll answer the one I can:

What's your opinion on free-to-play iOS entries in classic JRPG series?
    I'd rather they focus on making a good game rather than a money vacuum, but I also question the logic of going to old franchises for the companies in question. The old fans of the series will talk it down, and the casual audience who made [redacted] Bird(s) a success don't care what form it takes.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

As if the Mana franchise wasn't damaged enough already with lazy cash grab entries, they've even made a micro-transaction heavy iOS title now. For shame, Squeenix, for shame.

Let me live longer before charging me!! That is all I ask.

P.S. Groovy....

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InstaTrent View Post
    This week, Gearbox stops 3D Realms in its tracks, Peter Molyneux disses his own game, Xbox underperforms in Japan, and a new Mana game disappoints. We also have some questions to ask you about iOS entries in classic RPG franchises.

CURRENTS

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:
    1. I'm open minded but so far I haven't seen anything that uses the free to play model well

2. I've seen them feel normally in many games, but pretty much always when they're optional extras such as costumes and other visual accessories.

3. I don't actually think that's necessarily true, Square's have done well and the coming release of SMT seems to indicate we'll see more to come.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    As if the Mana franchise wasn't damaged enough already with lazy cash grab entries, they've even made a micro-transaction heavy iOS title now. For shame, Squeenix, for shame.
    The saddest part is that Rise of Mana actually looked pretty good in that promo video.