Thread: Sentakki - Japandemonium for Feb. 28th, 2014

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Sentakki - Japandemonium for Feb. 28th, 2014

Hey, this one gives a +3 to spin cycle!

Woo, questions! I did pretty good I think. Though I'm still trying to figure out what I would actually do for a vacation project. Proposal is due monday and I still have no clue.

Also

Anyone want a harem comedy RPG in their stocking?
    I kinda do. Also even though it's Compile heart I kinda want that other game too, because I like SRPGs. I wonder if either of them will be good games, though.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

I have an oddball question you may or may not be able to answer. I have a visible tattoo (heartless crest on the back of my hand), and I know in trope Japanese culture that's associated with Yakuza. Does it actually limit the places I can go, particularly in regards to Onsen?

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I'm a bit intrigued by Kinki no Manga. That one may be worth watching, should it come stateside.

NoA does have it's own term for the event legendary Pokemon: Mythical Pokemon, which somewhat fits the idea that they require special means to be obtained.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I like the Japanese terminology for Mythical Pokemon, partially because I enjoy words from other languages that encapsulate a notion we don't really have a single word for.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Well, it IS a bit of my own interpretation in there.... >_> "Maboroshi" really means "phantom" or "illusory," but is often used in about the same way as I wrote it in the column. I've seen the okapi, for example, referred to as a maboroshi animal because it was so rare and elusive that for the longest time no one thought they existed. I've also seen it used similarly to the word "rumored" in English, often to describe an animal or object that became a meme over here, with maboroshi cropping up in a TV segment dedicated to showing the truth behind the rumor.

For a completely different usage, there was a colonial Japanese university in Shanghai that only existed from 1935 to 1945, later referred to as the maboroshi daigaku (phantom university) because it sometimes just appeared on a person's CV like the ghost of an institution.

My mom would like to add:
    The wonderful small mom-and-pop stores do not take VISA. AND make sure that you notify your bank/institution ahead of the trip so that your VISA will work once you get there. Also, bring crisp new $ bills.

that's great information. Things like that are why I wrote in! Tell her I said thank you!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Well, it IS a bit of my own interpretation in there.... >_> "Maboroshi" really means "phantom" or "illusory,"
    Oh, I wonder if that was how the "Phantom Plants" in StreetPass Garden got the name "phantom". (It's a game in "StreetPass Mii Plaza" on the 3DS.)

I was thinking it was just an appropriate name they invented, because those plants were thought to be extinct. But if that was their name in Japanese, then phantom would be a direct translation.
    (I unfortunately don't know their actual Japanese name.)