Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 297: "As Seen On Twitter"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 297: "As Seen On Twitter"

RPGCast - Episode 297: "As Seen On Twitter"

Jon shows up but just refers us to previous tweets. Meanwhile, Manny reminds us that black is beautiful. Then Anna Marie leaks all the latest Natsume business plans while Chris listens to floppy drive symphonies.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/297

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "As Seen On Twitter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Nice talk. Not that it matters, but when I was a kid Eddie Murphy was my hero. So every time I can make a character I make a black guy. In Demon's Souls every character is ugly as heck but I managed to make a guy that looks just like Michael Jordan. I did the same in Dark Souls and Oblivion. My Oblivion character was SOOOOO cool!

Baseball talk: YES

Stick of a Truth looks awesome but I've decided to focus on PS4 until I become rich and can afford every game ever.

I am most looking forward to MGSV Ground Zeroes.

Please do some "Inside Baseball" talk. I would love to hear some of that with John and Manny.

P.S. Manny sounds better than Chris when saying "BOOM!" :-p

Yes to Inside Baseball. In fact, I love long podcasts, I love discussions, I love wierd digressions into giant mecha-cast, wow-cast, shcmupcast,things Quin finds on internet, catcast, canadia-landcast,pirate-cast.I guess I'm pretty strange.
    I do try and make characters in RPG's that look like myself, although I'm les shung up on it than I used to be. In Everquest I chose woodelf because I'm oriental. In other games I've had mixed results, sometimes I make the character -it ends up like Jackie Chan. In Dragon Age Origins, I tried to make myself again, ended up with David Cameron...
    I'm most looking forward to the Path of Exiles expansion-(I don't know how it will pan out for my ambition to get to lv 100 until it's out!). But I guess Reaper of Souls is a close second.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I completely understand the want to create a character that looks like you and do want games to have more options to create characters players can identify with. Speaking for myself, though, I never see customizable characters in video games as "me." I just create someone who I think looks cool and play through the game. I tend to create females and get annoyed when a game that has customizable characters doesn't allow me to, but it's not so much that I identify with the character I create. It's mostly due to preference. The few times I sort of project myself onto a character is when the character is unseen (thus not customizable, though nameable) and the other characters speak directly to the player, such as Contact, Fire Emblem (the first one released outside of Japan), and both Baten Kaitos games.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I'm really hopeful that Stick of Truth is good, though I'm waiting for reviews and for it to drop to $20. I'm hearing its really short, 10-20 hours. For me, thats actually a good thing, I used to love longer games when I had to get the most bang for my buck (like the NES/SNES years), but now I have a big backlog and a real job which means much less time. I'd prefer a 10-20 hour game over a 100 these days.

As for characters that "look like me", I'm not really sure what the big deal is. Games are usually about stories, so it really doesn't matter if the characters look like me or not. Even when the main character is completely arbitrary like in say Skyrim, I'd even rather play a female character because I'd rather see a lady on screen rather than some ugly dude for 30-100+ hours of whatever game I'm playing. If it really mattered that characters look like their target audience (or anyone who might like the game) then why do most anime and JRPG characters look distinctively white/western? The Japanese don't apparently need to feel like they look like their characters. And then when they do add in other ethnicities, you get characters like Sazh. I just don't get the need for filling racial quotas. It really just feels like specific minority groups are trying to push their agendas. If you want characters that look like you, go make a good game. I don't care if the character is a purple jellyfish with neon green tentacles, as long as the game is good.

You're right Strawberry Eggs. I pretty much project myself into the onscreen avatar too. For me, it's an extension of the immersion I get when reading, it's like I'm posessing each character I read and trying to picture the narrative from their eyes, other times I guess I AM the narrator. Sometimes I get quite philosophical, exploring my feelings and boundaries, where I stand on things as I play the protagonist, whatever the colour, race etc, it's a strange almost schizophrenic switching back and forth.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    A game has to have a really boring world or a character creator that I don't find compelling before I end up making a character that looks like myself. I think Guild Wars 2 was the first time someone said "Oh hey, you look like... you." I like to make a character that fits into the world. For example, in World of Warcraft, if I'm playing a night elf druid caster I go male (pre-WoW all fighters were female and casters were male for elves). Then the moment I realize that I'm going to be stuck staring at the back side of a guy elf wearing leather thong armor because of how low-level leather is in WoW... I decide it's a brand new world and oh sweet baby zombie cenarius my eyes are bleeding delete delete delete why can't I see the button to create a female night elf with all of this blood?

Dark souls 2 will probably be the only game i end up getting this month. The soul series have become my favorite games of this past generation. Other games i might pick up are diablo 3 reaper of souls, broforce for pc, and shovel knight for the 3ds.

March shopping list:
    - Yoshi's New Island
    - Final Fantasy X/X2 (both versions)
    - Roommate bought South Park this weekend, so I'll play that too
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I'm not interested in baseball talk, but if you must include a limited amount of it in the RPGcast, I'll deal with it.

We've reached the technological point where giving people the tools to create any race or gender of protagonist they want in create-a-protagonist games should be no big deal. (Redguards are awesome).

I've heard that Stick of Truth is getting censored in some areas outside the US. I'm not even sure I'm allowed to say what the censored scenes are on this forum, they're that bad. I take this as a sign that the game will be every bit as gross and disgusting as the TV show, so I don't plan to buy it, especially not for a hefty $60.

I don't have much interest in playing the South Park game, but I've bought every Obsidian game to date and have never felt let down, so I'm not quite ready to write it off. It's the over-the-top juvenile humor that's off-putting to me, even though it's mixed with smart social commentary. From the footage I've seen, though, there might be enough laughs for me to pick it up at some point when the price drops.

And no, you can't play as a girl. The reasoning put forth in the USGamer review really supports the point Chris was making about the gender option not always being appropriate:
    I was also initially disappointed at the inability to play as a female character, but this is justified by the narrative and setting -- South Park the show has always been about a group of young boys causing havoc, with girls treated as some sort of mysterious Other (with cooties), and The Stick of Truth is no exception.
    I'm sure they could have done some interesting things with a girl as the main character in the South Park setting, but the focus of the story would have to be vastly different in order to maintain the integrity of the story they want to tell (not to mention the integrity of the source material). In certain situations, I think you just have to accept that including a gender option would mean writing a substantially different story.

Whether or not I end up playing the game, I desperately want the game to do well for Obsidian. They could use some breaks going their way.
    Last edited by Azilis; 03-05-2014 at 07:36 AM.

I don't see many people arguing that South Park should have allowed female characters. I think Victar's comment related to Deep Down, which appears to be a dungeon crawler with very light story focus. It would be better if people at least waited until the game isreleased before they started writing the kind of rage-fueled articles that sparked this discussion in the first place, but it certainly does seem like there's little justification for not allowing customization player avatars in this particular game.

I'm definitely getting more excited for South Park as I'm seeing some pretty good reviews for it. Still planning to wait for $20 (since full price is for suckers), but its definitely on my to-buy list.

Inside Baseball: Meh. I usually end up only half paying attention once you guys are done with what you're currently playing. That's really what I find most interesting, folks being all enthusiastic about whatever game they're currently into. It doesn't make me turn off the cast and occasionally I catch something that makes me listen a bit closer but I'm mostly uninterested in the business end.

South Park: Several hours in now and loving it so far. But that's to be expected since I'm a big fan of both Obsidian and South Park which probably doesn't help fence sitters make a decision either way. Still, I've already had many more moments that made me bust out laughing in the few hours I've played than in any entire game I've played previously. Even the inventory descriptions are hilarious.

Inside Baseball/South Park Combo: I totally stole a Barry Bonds bat from Token's garage yesterday. Someone had drawn an asterisk on it and it was labeled as junk and only worth $0.70. As much as I love Barry I still lol'd.

Crazy March: You guys pretty much covered mine but

Shadowrun: Dragonfall (playtime bled into March although my hasty run through is done now)
    South Park: TSoT
    Titanfall
    Dark Souls 2 (assuming the pc port hits)

would be my big ones. Certainly gonna make it tough to compete in March Backlog Madness but I shall do my best.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I forgot to mention this in the letter I sent you guys, but I thought I'd say here that Chris' trying to make an issue of price dropping without compensating early adopters sounded pretty damned entitled. Manny's absolutely right - That's the risk you take when you early adopt. It comes with the territory, especially with a system that's not exactly gaining traction against the competitor. That people are complaining now is ridiculous.

And speaking of ridiculous, I have to take issue with the "Playstation games giveaway" thing with Plus. This is something you and many others don't put out nearly often enough. Those PS+ games aren't yours to keep! Those go away if you miss a PS+ payment. I don't know how Games for Gold works, but PS+ is just a service for letting you borrow games as long as you're willing to subscribe. That's hardly the same as actually buying games, and I really think people need to be reminded of that, if only to counteract Sony's deceptive marketing.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

A quick Google shows it varies from game to game. Many once you buy them, they're yours without gold (but of course, you can't play online without gold). There's several games that are online only (Happy Wars is one I'm seeing references) that don't work without gold. I don't know a ton about the 360 market, but most of these seem heavy on the online playability/appeal, so while you keep the games...you probably wouldn't play them much without gold? I dunno, maybe that's a discussion point for the next podcast.

Games with Gold makes the games yours permanently as long as you go through the process of "buying" the game (for free) to get it into your download queue. Regardless of whether you actually download it or cancel the download, you can restart it at any time in the future* whether you have gold still active or not.

*as long as the download service still exist and has that game, and Microsoft doesn't change the rules.

So with PS+, if I download the game and then my PS+ expires, I'd lose access to the games?

And I've gotta agree with Manny and Masterchief regarding early adopters. If you're an early adopter, you really don't deserve jack even if there is a price drop during week 2. It's part of the risk of buying hardware day 1, and at this point you should really know that there WILL be a price drop and you're the sucker that paid full price just to have it first. Businesses are there to make money, not to give stuff away to people who think they deserve something just for buying first. Personally, I think Nintendo was wrong to offer the Ambassador program, and has caused more problems with other gamers having ridiculous expectations.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    So with PS+, if I download the game and then my PS+ expires, I'd lose access to the games?
    With the PS+ games, yeah. That's exactly how it works. And you have to be online to play them at all. This is why I get prickly about the way the gaming media just parrots Sony marketing in making it sound like the games are yours to keep. There's going to be a lot of people who have to miss their PS+ payment for a month or so due to extenuating circumstances and find a lot of options missing for their playtime...

[/quote]And I've gotta agree with Manny and Masterchief regarding early adopters. If you're an early adopter, you really don't deserve jack even if there is a price drop during week 2. It's part of the risk of buying hardware day 1, and at this point you should really know that there WILL be a price drop and you're the sucker that paid full price just to have it first. Businesses are there to make money, not to give stuff away to people who think they deserve something just for buying first. Personally, I think Nintendo was wrong to offer the Ambassador program, and has caused more problems with other gamers having ridiculous expectations.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the idea that early adopters deserve special treatment when a price drop occurs was born of the 3DS Ambassador Program. This was never an issue before, and it's not like systems didn't get quick price drops before in an effort to rescue them in the market before... The console makers have to be more concerned with expanding the consumer base, not pandering to the Day one people exclusively. I can't believe people arguing that MS was wrong here. For most of us here, it's not our first rodeo.

Oh, and floppy drive music.

Last edited by MasterChief; 03-06-2014 at 11:59 AM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

You don't need to be online to play PS+ games...where did you get that from? I've had my internet blip and toss my PS3 and PS4 offline (and I don't reconnect) and it didn't stop me from playing anything.