Thread: Dark Souls II Sings a Hollow Lullaby

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Dark Souls II Sings a Hollow Lullaby

According to Dark Souls II's latest trailer, it isn't about death, but what you learn from death. Evidently, death teaches you that fiery axes are effective against fire-breathing dragons.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

"This isn't about death."

But prepare to die anyway. Bwahahaha!

I love Dark Souls but I'm not all that excited for this. I'm sure it'll be great, but it looks very much like a more-of-the-same sequel, and Dark Souls was already arguably a more-of-the-same sequel to Demons Souls. These games are huge, 60+ hour dungeon crawlers; I don't really feel like I need one every 2 years.

Dark Souls had a fair amount of new mechanics and combat refinement. Dark Souls 2 is adding dual-wielding, power stances, and it "seemed" like some additional magic mechanics and differences in online (covenants were pretty sparse conceptually in Dark Souls). I'd like "more", but I can appreciate feeling that it didn't change much. How much should a "franchise" change? I'm not sure. A completely different kind of game would be unwarranted considering what the fans enjoyed about the previous entries.

I'm sure it'll be great, but it looks very much like a more-of-the-same sequel, and Dark Souls was already arguably a more-of-the-same sequel to Demons Souls
    I agree. I hear a lot of Demon's Souls fans saying Dark Souls actually wasn't nearly as good as the previous. Standard fanboy talk, really, but I haven't played De.S so I can't say. Still, I suspect a lot of Dark Souls' success came as a result of Demon's Souls being a Sony exclusive. We heard about this awesome RPG for years, and then those of us without PS3s heard about Dark Souls and we jumped all over it.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 03-05-2014 at 04:21 PM.

I thought most of the changes were improvements except that I could never really get the hang of the lag to do well at PvP. The patch that allowed the bug that griefers abused to twink characters really sucked for newbies, though. I do think Demon's Souls was darker and creepier in a lot of the level design, but I liked having a better mix of environments in Dark Souls. Though I will admit that nothing in Dark Souls compares to the creep factor of the first trip through the prison in Demon's Souls. I do hope they present more story and lore this time around. And I know from the beta that they didn't do it in this one, but I hope the next installment has better controls for exploration (jumping, climbing, etc), as some parts are only problematic (aka suicidal) because the controls are so limited.

So I'm thinking of getting this but haven't played Demon Souls or Dark Souls. Do I need to play them 1st or hop right into Dark Souls II

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    I love Dark Souls but I'm not all that excited for this. I'm sure it'll be great, but it looks very much like a more-of-the-same sequel, and Dark Souls was already arguably a more-of-the-same sequel to Demons Souls. These games are huge, 60+ hour dungeon crawlers; I don't really feel like I need one every 2 years.
    They were certainly similar, but Dark Souls had a completely different structure from Demon's Souls along with a giant plethora of additions (new weapons, an extra magic type, more weapon types, etc. etc. etc.) so calling it "more of the same" is highly highly inaccurate. II being a direct sequel instead of the spiritual successor I was means it certainly is more similar to its predecessor, but early experiences so far tell me "more-of-the-same" isn't fair in this case either. While I certainly agree that this big super-deep dungeon crawlers shouldn't be coming out super frequently I'm not sure what else to expect from a developer with a ...SIZABLE catalog of Armored Core releases.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I agree. I hear a lot of Demon's Souls fans saying Dark Souls actually wasn't nearly as good as the previous. Standard fanboy talk, really, but I haven't played De.S so I can't say. Still, I suspect a lot of Dark Souls' success came as a result of Demon's Souls being a Sony exclusive. We heard about this awesome RPG for years, and then those of us without PS3s heard about Dark Souls and we jumped all over it.
    You'll hear just as many people or more tell you Dark Souls is the better game (it is :P), a lot of that comes down to preference as some didn't prefer the metroidvania-ish world design requiring some extra backtracking . Basically your usual arguing between franchise fans so don't pay it much mind. Both are worth giving a try, though Dark Souls is actually friendlier to newbies since there isn't a massive penalty for death.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Though I will admit that nothing in Dark Souls compares to the creep factor of the first trip through the prison in Demon's Souls.
    This is really my only complaint about Dark Souls. Didn't have as many creepy areas. Still, all around Dark's areas are better (especially has the better of the swamp areas in the two. Absolutely hated the one in Demon's).

Quote Originally Posted by ghaleon80 View Post
    So I'm thinking of getting this but haven't played Demon Souls or Dark Souls. Do I need to play them 1st or hop right into Dark Souls II
    There's no story or anything that would force you to play any of the games before the others. The only thing is my experience with II far seems to indicate a difficulty tailored towards providing new challenges for those already familiar with the first game, so you may have a rough start with II.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    They were certainly similar, but Dark Souls had a completely different structure from Demon's Souls along with a giant plethora of additions (new weapons, an extra magic type, more weapon types, etc. etc. etc.) so calling it "more of the same" is highly highly inaccurate. II being a direct sequel instead of the spiritual successor I was means it certainly is more similar to its predecessor, but early experiences so far tell me "more-of-the-same" isn't fair in this case either. While I certainly agree that this big super-deep dungeon crawlers shouldn't be coming out super frequently I'm not sure what else to expect from a developer with a ...SIZABLE catalog of Armored Core releases.

You'll hear just as many people or more tell you Dark Souls is the better game (it is :P), a lot of that comes down to preference as some didn't prefer the metroidvania-ish world design requiring some extra backtracking . Basically your usual arguing between franchise fans so don't pay it much mind. Both are worth giving a try, though Dark Souls is actually friendlier to newbies since there isn't a massive penalty for death.

This is really my only complaint about Dark Souls. Didn't have as many creepy areas. Still, all around Dark's areas are better (especially has the better of the swamp areas in the two. Absolutely hated the one in Demon's).

There's no story or anything that would force you to play any of the games before the others. The only thing is my experience with II far seems to indicate a difficulty tailored towards providing new challenges for those already familiar with the first game, so you may have a rough start with II.
    That was my only concern is being lost in a story i didn't get because I didn't play the previous 2 games. I expect to get my butt kicked over and over so I'll have it a go since that isn't a issue.

I can't wait to get my copy this friday (stupid PAL release date)

Incidently this will also be the fifth game in my collection at full retail...

Quote Originally Posted by ghaleon80 View Post
    That was my only concern is being lost in a story i didn't get because I didn't play the previous 2 games. I expect to get my butt kicked over and over so I'll have it a go since that isn't a issue.
    Yeah nothing to worry about story wise. If you can tackle this one going back to Dark Souls 1 will be cake!

Well, I can't say I'm really surprised but I do kind of wish they had spent a bit more time making something more transcendent anyway. It would have been cool to see them spend 3-4 years making a game that was as much of an evolution of Dark Souls as The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 look like they're going to be evolution of their respective franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Well, I can't say I'm really surprised but I do kind of wish they had spent a bit more time making something more transcendent anyway. It would have been cool to see them spend 3-4 years making a game that was as much of an evolution of Dark Souls as The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 look like they're going to be evolution of their respective franchises.
    Like what exactly? If you spend too much time trying to make something "more transcendent" you're just going to start going the route of Duke Nukem Forever's downfall. New things are great but there's nothing wrong with iterating on a solid formula, especially one as fresh as the Souls' series. Besides this is also a business and the series has be a boon for FROM Software.

All that aside Dark Souls 2 is far, far form just Dark Souls 1 with new areas. There's a ton a new ideas and tweaks. Is it as big of a leap as from Demon's to Dark Souls? No, but neither are we anywhere close to CoDing the franchise or something.

BTW your comparisons to the Witcher and Dragon Age don't really fit. Dragon Age's previous entry didn't exactly light up the sales charts so that series NEEDED to be careful about the follow up. Dark Souls 1 did great and fans were clamoring for more.

As for the Witcher? Game certainly looks great but I fail to see to moving towards the hot "open world" buzz word is exactly any sort of interesting evolution.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    If The Witcher 3 manages to find a way to make its impressive branching storylines work within an open world storyline, that will be an interesting evolution. I don't think it's necessary for every series to change that much between iterations, though. CD Projekt just loves pushing the envelope and I don't know if BioWare knows what it wants anymore (even if Inquisition looks pretty neat so far).

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Like what exactly? If you spend too much time trying to make something "more transcendent" you're just going to start going the route of Duke Nukem Forever's downfall. New things are great but there's nothing wrong with iterating on a solid formula, especially one as fresh as the Souls' series. Besides this is also a business and the series has be a boon for FROM Software.
    I'm not saying that evolving the series was necessarily the direction they needed to go to stay relevant. I'm purely talking about what I personally wanted out of another Souls game.

BTW your comparisons to the Witcher and Dragon Age don't really fit. Dragon Age's previous entry didn't exactly light up the sales charts so that series NEEDED to be careful about the follow up. Dark Souls 1 did great and fans were clamoring for more.

As for the Witcher? Game certainly looks great but I fail to see to moving towards the hot "open world" buzz word is exactly any sort of interesting evolution.
    I think the enhancements that are being made to the formula of both games look like they're going to do a pretty good job of covering the weaknesses of past entries while simultaneously staying true to the original vision for their franchises. Needless to say there is every possibility that either of these games will crash and burn.