Thread: Kickstarter Check-In: Pier Solar HD

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Kickstarter Check-In: Pier Solar HD

It's taken longer than expected, but the Pier Solar HD project is alive and kicking. We've got the latest screens and the current projected release date.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

That they actually mix low-res graphics with HD graphics is quite a bit disturbing.

But it's nice to hear from the game again. The developers aren't really good with keeping the fans updated. They only update their website like once a year...

Yeah, their PR end seems pretty scattered. There's supposed to be a beta application available for Pier Solar, but I couldn't find it on their website for the life of me, so I had to assume it wasn't up yet and omit it for the story.

If anybody finds the link to the Pier Solar HD beta application, post here or shoot me a note at news@rpgamer.com and I'll add it to the story.

Good for them, but they really need to get rid of those pixelated blob sprites...ruins the whole aesthetic of the HD port. Replace those sprites with Higher Res sprites! Why have high res, beautiful backgrounds? They will detract from the characters!

I think the HD update gives the whole project a Kemco vibe.

Those sprites are doing nothing to help the look of the game. I'm kind of annoyed I backed this...

To be fair, the Kickstarter was always open about the fact that the game would have HD backgrounds and sprite art. It's right there under "Art Direction."

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Well, hopefully we see the HD sprite art soon, because those low-res sprites are clashing against the background something FIERCE.

Quote Originally Posted by ascii256
    Haha, that's a way to put it, yeah.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Well, hopefully we see the HD sprite art soon, because those low-res sprites are clashing against the background something FIERCE.

Haha, that's a way to put it, yeah.
    I think you misunderstood me. They're not doing HD sprite art. They're doing pixel sprite art, exactly as has been shown in every screen of the game. I admit I'm not the biggest fan of the style either, but I backed the project because I'm interested in the story and scope of the game (and heck, it was cheap). They have always been upfront about this odd mixed art style, so backers can't claim they've been misled or duped. It's right in the pitch and in all footage of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ascii256 View Post
    Don't they have an option for the original graphics?

Ocelot is correct. They said from the very start that they will keep the low-res sprites and just makes the backgrounds HD (though on the screenshots we also see part of the background as low-res sprites like those vases). I was criticizing this from the very beginning which is also the reason why I didn't back it in the first place (but I'll buy it anyway if ever released).

So all those sprites will NOT be done HD and there won't be an option for it. At least that's their plan. If we are lucky they might reconsider after all the complaining about it that they already received. Though so far they just ignored all complaints completely.

I remember them mentioning something about an option to revert the background to pixel art, though (maybe it was a strech goal?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Ocelot is correct. They said from the very start that they will keep the low-res sprites and just makes the backgrounds HD (though on the screenshots we also see part of the background as low-res sprites like those vases). I was criticizing this from the very beginning which is also the reason why I didn't back it in the first place (but I'll buy it anyway if ever released).

So all those sprites will NOT be done HD and there won't be an option for it. At least that's their plan. If we are lucky they might reconsider after all the complaining about it that they already received. Though so far they just ignored all complaints completely.

I remember them mentioning something about an option to revert the background to pixel art, though (maybe it was a strech goal?).
    I found the video that confirms the revert back to pixel art

http://youtu.be/jGLuqOlptNE?t=41s

So yeh. Take that as you want. I will be keeping it 16-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    There's supposed to be a beta application available for Pier Solar, but I couldn't find it on their website for the life of me, so I had to assume it wasn't up yet and omit it for the story.

If anybody finds the link to the Pier Solar HD beta application, post here or shoot me a note at news@rpgamer.com and I'll add it to the story.
    Been a lurker for years, made an account to tell you the Beta app can be found on the FAQ page for Pier Solar on the main WM site! Haven't heard anything back but have my fingers crossed. Can't wait for the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Raithos View Post
    Been a lurker for years, made an account to tell you the Beta app can be found on the FAQ page for Pier Solar on the main WM site! Haven't heard anything back but have my fingers crossed. Can't wait for the game!
    Thanks, Raithos!