Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 113 - Over Level 9000!

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 113 - Over Level 9000!

Nippon Ichi has made a number of other titles over the years, but a certain series took off in the public imagination and continues to produce fresh entries. Tactical action in the underworld with explosive Prinnies is the subject, and it's so expansive that this episode sets a new record for our length.
    Go to school - or don't.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    A 6GB Audacity audio file boiled down to 200mbs of awesome podcasty goodness for YOUR listening pleasure! Be the first on YOUR block to hear us talk about Prinnies and stuff!!

Almost 5 hours worth! If there was a podcast trophy, you have officially won it. Will be diving in later tonight

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghaleon80 View Post
    Almost 5 hours worth! If there was a podcast trophy, you have officially won it. Will be diving in later tonight
    A platinum trophy?

it'll still be nearly 2 hours at 2.5x speed. This is going to be quite a ride.

LOL...2.5x speed! WOW!

I use a filter that removes 70% or so of the natural dead space. I found that since I started using it, I cannot listen to the podcasts that fast anymore. But if you can pull it off and actually still understand us, that's awesome! Let me know! LOL

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    There you go, Phil, instead of butchering our names in the usual way you can just call us Alvin, Simon, and Theodore in honour of the 2.5x speed.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Disgaeas are of course excellent, I always like parody and don't think there are enough in games. I have to say, poor Mike's reaction to <censored> veritably curdled my blood and that show should never happen, peace man. Both Ogres conjure up good memories, of course I want moar.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    it'll still be nearly 2 hours at 2.5x speed. This is going to be quite a ride.
    2.5x speed how dare you sir! The one time Phil has actually played all beat the games discussed and you speed it up! Although Moehnke's Agarest rant might have been even funnier in chipmunk voice haha.

I have never actually played any of the Disgaea games but after listening I think I'll start off the series with Disgaea 3 and 4.

If speeding up digital recordings made everyone sound like chipmunks, that would be hilarious. On the good side, it just sounds like people talking faster than normal. I'm just hoping I can listen this weekend (been too bogged down this week to keep up on my podcasts/gaming).

I've been listening at 2x for about a year now, and there are some people I don't think I've ever heard speak at normal speed (or when I do, they sound like they are stuck in molassas). Been trying out faster speeds for a few weeks, due to wanting to get through monstrously long podcasts faster. 2.5x was hard to listen to, but now I'm only really having problems understanding people with thick British accents.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Shows my age... the last time I heard any sort of high-speed recording was on a broken tape recorder.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Shows my age... the last time I heard any sort of high-speed recording was on a broken tape recorder.
    Yeah same here....destroyed one of my dads Beach Boys cassettes by turning them into chipmunks too many times on the cassette player.

Btw...the story behind my handle is that it was a "malformed" version of Goatee Guy (like facial hair) which I wanted to use on yahoo back in the day but couldn't. So I've had this for quite some time and just never really bothered to change it to the "correct" spelling.
    Last edited by goateguy; 03-24-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Forgot the explanation for my handle.
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    And here I thought I was on some long episodes. Not that I'm complaining about the length.

My experience with Disgaea is still limited, oddly, to the DS incarnation of original game. I suppose it's because I have yet to play another, but it didn't feel awkward at all. I'm not sure why I haven't gone back to the series, or even just replay Disgaea DS for the other endings, as I did enjoy it.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

People mostly say the first half of Bravely Default, is up to the end of Chapter 4.

As for the Side quest in chapter 1, it does make sense why you couldn't do it straight away. But you have to do it to find that out.
    So yes, there should have been an indicator that you need to advance the main plot first. Or at least a more obvious one (knowing that people are currently working in the area you want to sneak into, isn't a clear deterrent).

I listened to the podcast yesterday, trophy unlocked!

I have no experience with Disgaea at all, and I actually had no idea what a prinny is other than hearing the term around here a few times. On the other hand, these games sound like the type of grind-fest games I'm trying to move away from in my gaming. Thanks for the run down on them

I mostly played through just the story...and that required minimal grinding for Disgaea 1 and 2. In both of those, I would do a few run throughs of item world here and there, and a few hours or so was needed towards the last few chapters, but not too much. Disgaea 3 and especially 4 seemed to up that bar to me. But, by then, some people smarter than I have figured out really faster ways for getting where they need to be.

I'm glad you learned from our Prinny discussion! I'd hate to think we explain things that everyone already knows.

Five hours is just too long for a podcast. Perhaps it's appropriate since the Disgaia games are also absurdly long, but... please, can we go back to short, breezy little 2-3 hour podcasts in the future?

The link to this Disgaia podcast in the RPG Backtrack archives still isn't fixed (it connects to the previous podcast).

The Agarest hatred was something to behold. I thought I hated the original Wizardry, but you, sir, put my eternal scorn for a particular RPG to shame. I am so very much looking forward to the Agarest review, if only for the schadenfreude.

I wish to politely disagree with the naysayers who question why you review RPG Maker games, and I'm glad you agree with me and not them. I love hearing about the itty bittie, indie, or made-in-a-basement RPGs, and this is one of the only sites that covers them, unless I can find a review on GameFAQs.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for your comments, Victar! We're happy to be over service.

I hear ya about the recording time! If you've been keepin' up, you know we don't normally do 5 hours. (Personally, I blame it for bringing my computer to its knees. 6GB is too much for my 3gigs of RAM). This one happened because of a number of reasons.

First, my computer crashed part way through our first attempt. So, we ended up recording parts of it on two separate weeks. I didn't even realize it was five hours until I edited it all together.

Next, it's Disgaea :P And what I mean is this. The core mechanics of the series is so deep, they call for a lot of discussion. That took up the lion's share of the talk. With that foundation laid out, talking about 2, 3 and 4 just seemed to breeze by. We could have divided them into another show, but then they may not have been enough for a full show just talking about their stories (They're not THAT deep). Also, that approach would have tempted us to delve back into mechanics talk that we probably covered on the first show, taking up more time overall.

And, of course, it doesn't help that we don't actually plan out our time. We generally talk until we're too tired. Couple that with the first issue, and the final lap would have been a lot shorter if we were doing this all in one sitting, hahahahaha.

I've considered keeping shows on a timetable in the past, but for every comment I get about shortening the show, I get another one saying that they prefer the informal approach that lets our people go on and on without worrying too much about the clock. Interestingly enough, I was doing my annual trip to iTunes to read our comments, and one of the more recent ones said that they wished I would give our guests more leeway to talk longer on the show, lol. I can't win!

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I find Disgaea fills the need for a Tactics game when I'm waiting for one with plot to come around. I found myself liking Disgaea 4, though, especially the Flashback DLC where you get to see Valvatorez and Fenric meeting for the first time. With Disgaea D2, I was finally able to realize my dream of having a male archer riding a kitten into battle... followed by my army of ninja - all of whom were riding sharks.

That is just too cute for words, LOL.