Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impression - Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster

Impression - Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster

Curious if you should pick up the Vita version of the Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster? Here's a brief rundown of our experiences so far.

Impression
    FFX screen captures
    FFX-2 screen captures
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Great write up.

For me, I went with the PS3 version. Why? Because, from what I saw on Amazon's description, FFX-2 must be downloaded (they give you a code), and the requirements listed 8 or 10gb. Ouch. I don't have that much spare room on my current card, and those cards are not a cheap date. I do admit, being able to have it on the go is very appealing, and I will probably pick up a Vita version as well when it drops in price... if I can clear 10gbs on my memory card by then

FFX-2 is 3.4GB, so that's all that's needed for the download. I agree I'd rather have a physical version, but I want it on the go not on the PS3.

That said, the FFX-2 codes are screwed up right now, so no one can download it anyways.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Honestly, when I get a Vita I'll probably get a digital version of X if I can. X-2 is all right, I enjoy it and everything, but I much prefer X's combat. My favourite in the series. I'm getting the PS3 version soon, so it'll be an extra purchase later for portability.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

It's nice to see that the two games run relatively well on the Vita. Those would be the versions of the game I would pick up as well if I were to pick them up.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Since I have moved on to the ps4 I will have to get the vita version. I enjoy portable gaming a great deal so that probably would have been my pick anyhow. I must say I'm looking forward to diving into this.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    FFX-2 is 3.4GB, so that's all that's needed for the download. I agree I'd rather have a physical version, but I want it on the go not on the PS3.

That said, the FFX-2 codes are screwed up right now, so no one can download it anyways.
    Was gonna say, 10gb sounded way out of whack. That's high even for a modern AAA blockbuster, let alone a PS2 remaster.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    I picked up the Vita version yesterday. Looks and plays great. The only thing I've noticed are a few loading screens here and there, as well as some on-screen touch controls that I thought were pretty superfluous. It's nice that I can control the timing of Aeon intro sequences with the touch of my finger, but I don't think it makes a ton of sense to touch my screen to save my game or heal my party.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Ah, I see where I made this mistake, LOL.

Still, irks me a little bit that I have to DL that 2nd game. It's like a tax. Cost for Vita memory is still over $2/gb. Evil.

Now I know I've read numerous times that one can DL a PSN game twice, or more accurately, (From what I read) on two different devices. I've never been able to find out, for a fact, if deleting a game from a device 'frees it up' in Sony's eyes... and/or if I'm allowed to DL it to the same device over and over. I do know that one can deactivate a device at Sony.com to assist if that becomes a big issue. However, because this process seems so nebulous to me, I've been careful not to delete a game from my PS3, PSP, Vita or PS4 unless I know I'm not going to play it again. Since I enjoy replaying FF games, they FFx-2 would sit on my card forever, forcing me to buy a new, expensive card even earlier. Evil. I'll have to look closer at that sometime soon. I'll eventually get this on Vita when it drops in price, and it would be nice to have that clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post

Still, irks me a little bit that I have to DL that 2nd game. It's like a tax. Cost for Vita memory is still over $2/gb. Evil.

Now I know I've read numerous times that one can DL a PSN game twice, or more accurately, (From what I read) on two different devices. I've never been able to find out, for a fact, if deleting a game from a device 'frees it up' in Sony's eyes... and/or if I'm allowed to DL it to the same device over and over. I do know that one can deactivate a device at Sony.com to assist if that becomes a big issue. However, because this process seems so nebulous to me, I've been careful not to delete a game from my PS3, PSP, Vita or PS4 unless I know I'm not going to play it again. Since I enjoy replaying FF games, they FFx-2 would sit on my card forever, forcing me to buy a new, expensive card even earlier. Evil. I'll have to look closer at that sometime soon. I'll eventually get this on Vita when it drops in price, and it would be nice to have that clarified.
    The way this works is that you can have a set number of systems set as active. I think two PS3s, two PSPs, and it was one Vita, but I think that's also two now. You can download any games to any system you have activated as often as you like. It works without a hitch. The one thing you need to be aware of on Vita is that when you remove a game, it takes your save data with you. You have to back it up to your PC or if you have PS+ you can backup even easier online with just a couple button presses on the system. You can restore them just as easily.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Ah, that's good to know! Thanks for the clarification. That makes it much easier to bite that bullet, I imagine.

Yeah, I love the online PSPlus save.

Also, apparently you can import an Asian version of FFX-2 with English voices and subs for $39.99. http://www.play-asia.com/final-fanta...n-70-7g9z.html

Thanks, Wheels!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I bought both versions, wish it was Cross-Buy but they were two of my favorite RPGs from the PS2 gen so since they were at least Cross-Save I caved and got both

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InstaTrent View Post
    I picked up the Vita version yesterday. Looks and plays great. The only thing I've noticed are a few loading screens here and there, as well as some on-screen touch controls that I thought were pretty superfluous. It's nice that I can control the timing of Aeon intro sequences with the touch of my finger, but I don't think it makes a ton of sense to touch my screen to save my game or heal my party.
    Don't believe devs get a choice on the save front, think that's forced by the firmware. If that healing thing is controlled similarly to P4G's SOS signals on the front screen then it seems perfectly fine and intuitive to me to me. If it's on the back screen then yeah, bleh. (I wouldn't know how it works yet, it's out here Friday)

edit - actually there is a choice (P4G does it differently), but the vast majority of games use the standard touch screen save menu.
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 03-20-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post

I agree. That is pretty evil. I never did like it when companies combine both digital and physical copies in their collections a la the god of war collection. I wonder if that even makes any sense from a pubic relations or marketing perspective because consumers may think that the company is cutting costs, being lazy, or both. I don't know if that's the image I want to project to my consumers. Anyway, I would also like a clear answer to that two DLing a game twice on PSN, especially because of YLOD's. Back I September, my 80 gig ps3 YLODed and I got a new one. I previously had legend of mana downloaded on my old ps3 and my psp. I was able to download legend of mana to my new ps3. I do not know if that counts at the third one because I downloaded legend of mana to my psp from my old ps3. Very confusing.
    Currently Playing:

Mystic Ark
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    Dynasty Warriors 8

https://www.amazon.com/author/gilbertfranco

I wanted the CE but my GPU card decided to overheat... So no more FFX in a while...
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    FYI, if you buy digitally, even on the Vita, you get both games as a package, even though they download separately. Total for both games is 6.1gb
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

So, uh, how do you send the save from Vita -> PS3 or vice versa? It's not as simple as doing the upload to the cloud, right?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

There's a manage save data option on the start menu. It's hard to see at first as it's small, but it's there.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I am loving this game all over again.
    I only have one tiny wish that they would have done.
    I remember when the first generation PS3 was released it had all the ports for the old memory cards, and after that there was a cord so you could copy your PS2 card to your PS3 HDD.
    I wish they would have implemented that feature again so that if you still had a PS2 save file of X you could load your collected Albehd primers from the PS2 version to the PS3 version.
    That would have been so cool. Well back to Spira.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"