Thread: Shin Megami Tensei iOS Impression

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Shin Megami Tensei iOS Impression

After more than 20 years, Shin Megami Tensei has finally been released in North America for the iPhone. Check out the impression to see if this touchscreen version was worth the long wait.

-LINK
    Last edited by risingsun; 03-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.

I would have totally bought it, had it come to a real handheld. I think I'm done with touch controls on ports.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    I hear ya. I'm not so much against touch controls as I am against touch controls mimicking physical buttons found on other consoles/handhelds. There is a way create a good and high quality RPG experience that is designed or smartly adapted for tablets and smartphones that utilizes intuitive touch controls, this just isn't that experience.

Of course if you want to play SMT 1 and don't speak japanese, this is the way to do it.
    Last edited by risingsun; 03-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.

"The thing is I'm not sure I could recommend this to anyone except the biggest Megami Tensei fans."

I think the biggest fans have likely already played it. This is one of those ports that falls neatly in an area where it offers nothing to a fan who has already played it with respect to collectability/improvements, and it's probably a subpar manner for anyone that's more new to the series to go about experiencing the first entry as well.

I'm not saying an ipad version with over-sized "touchscreen" buttons and a filter thrown over the old SNES images (hello Squarenix!) would be a lot better either, but this is pretty phoned in as far as ports go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    "The thing is I'm not sure I could recommend this to anyone except the biggest Megami Tensei fans."

I think the biggest fans have likely already played it. This is one of those ports that falls neatly in an area where it offers nothing to a fan who has already played it with respect to collectability/improvements, and it's probably a subpar manner for anyone that's more new to the series to go about experiencing the first entry as well.
    I agree with this for a number of reasons (not the least of which will go unsaid, but those of you who know me can probably take a pretty easy guess at it, aheh.) The unfortunate thing is that what you've got here is a fairly hardcore and fairly niche game on a platform known for casual, finnicky consumers. As much as it pains me to say so, I don't think this is going to sell very well.