Thread: Up, Up, Down, Down - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Up, Up, Down, Down - Currents

Even the infamous Konami code couldn't stop the bad PR this week. Castlevania loses its guardian, Metal Gear Solid disappoints, and Disney Interactive cuts staff. If only the headlines were more positive.

CURRENTS

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:
    • With Koji gone, what will happen to the Castlevania series?
    • Has the Lords of Shadow franchise had a negative impact on Castlevania?
    • What should the franchise's next move be?
    Last edited by InstaTrent; 03-21-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I don't think WalMart has the systems, knowledgable employees, and other specialty stuff needed to really challenge Gamestop in the used games market. I also don't think the used game market is going away quite as quickly as you predict. The United States in particular still faces huge broadband equality challenges (and greedy companies instituting expensive caps, something we've been facing in Canada for a while) that make large game downloads out of reach for a surprising number of Americans, even those who play stuff like CoD online.

That said, Gamestop does need to step it up in order to compete with today's digital reality. Now that games are all coming out same-day on the PSN, for example, I no longer have to go begging and borrowing around town to grab niche JRPGs on day one. That used to be the only reason I went to Gamestop, so I almost never darken its doors anymore. I noticed that Dark Souls II was released at midnight on the PSN, too. Smart move. Now imagine if PSN and Xbox Live got smart like Steam and let people pre-download major releases that unlock first thing on release day. Gamestop may make its money on selling used games, but it needs those day-one buyers to buy new, then trade games in a week later so it has a supply of used games to sell. If nothing else, GS is going to need to offer better trade-in incentives and deeper discounts on used games once this starts happening more often.

I actually think the spectre of Gamestop and its used sales is a good thing for the industry right now, though. Without that, there's no incentive for console digital marketplaces to put anything on sale, ever. MS and Sony (and to a lesser extent, Nintendo) are just now starting to get the message that putting your gosh-darn digital games on sale some time after launch actually results in increased revenue. We need that culture of discounting older releases to take hold before Gamestop possibly goes under. :-p

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Now imagine if PSN and Xbox Live got smart like Steam and let people pre-download major releases that unlock first thing on release day.
    Apparently, It's on the way!

I am not against Digital Down Loads. I reserve those purchases for games I never intend to get rid of.
    My BIGGEST problem with the digital market is that consumers are expected to still shell out $60, $70, or more for a digital game that you are than stuck with.
    There is no way to recoup your losses if you should happen to not like the game. This has happened to me.
    That and as a gamer on a tight budget, more often than not I can't get games new, or it takes me a while to get games and can only find them used.
    Now I have no doubt that Walmart will give Game Stop a run for there money. But as long as there are gamers on a tight budget, there will be a used game market.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

With Koji gone, what will happen to the Castlevania series?
    Considering he hadn't worked on it since the XBLA one who's name escapes me at the moment... not a whole lot. He had spent the last few years working on social games pretty much by choice, apparently. It'll probably be outsourced or back-burnered given that the Lords of Shadow game sales appear to be in irrevocable decline.

Has the Lords of Shadow franchise had a negative impact on Castlevania?
    About as much as Sonic Unleashed did to that franchise (with the abomination of Judgment on Wii being the Sonic '06 equivalent). I think it's done as a $60 disc franchise on consoles, but for me that would be a positive impact.

What should the franchise's next move be?
    Given the current state of Konami, don't touch it for several years. I'm not sure KojiPro/LovePlus/Pro Evo Konami could do any good to the series at this point.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    • With Koji gone, what will happen to the Castlevania series?
    • Has the Lords of Shadow franchise had a negative impact on Castlevania?
    • What should the franchise's next move be?
    *hopefully some new blood will work on the series. Regardless of opinions of LoS the sales showed there's still interest in the series.

*No. The series never did much in 3d so for those that didn't like lords of shadow it was just par for the course.

*the series has a higher profile again. They should try again quickly with a fresh studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I don't think WalMart has the systems, knowledgable employees, and other specialty stuff needed to really challenge Gamestop in the used games market. I also don't think the used game market is going away quite as quickly as you predict. The United States in particular still faces huge broadband equality challenges (and greedy companies instituting expensive caps, something we've been facing in Canada for a while) that make large game downloads out of reach for a surprising number of Americans, even those who play stuff like CoD online.

That said, Gamestop does need to step it up in order to compete with today's digital reality. Now that games are all coming out same-day on the PSN, for example, I no longer have to go begging and borrowing around town to grab niche JRPGs on day one. That used to be the only reason I went to Gamestop, so I almost never darken its doors anymore. I noticed that Dark Souls II was released at midnight on the PSN, too. Smart move. Now imagine if PSN and Xbox Live got smart like Steam and let people pre-download major releases that unlock first thing on release day. Gamestop may make its money on selling used games, but it needs those day-one buyers to buy new, then trade games in a week later so it has a supply of used games to sell. If nothing else, GS is going to need to offer better trade-in incentives and deeper discounts on used games once this starts happening more often.

I actually think the spectre of Gamestop and its used sales is a good thing for the industry right now, though. Without that, there's no incentive for console digital marketplaces to put anything on sale, ever. MS and Sony (and to a lesser extent, Nintendo) are just now starting to get the message that putting your gosh-darn digital games on sale some time after launch actually results in increased revenue. We need that culture of discounting older releases to take hold before Gamestop possibly goes under. :-p
    I actually was defending gamestop the other day to a friend of mine. He claimed anyone who trades in games or consoles to gamestop rather than sell them on Craigslist or ebay are morons. I explained to him that with gamestop you get a guaranteed amount in either cash or store credit even if it is significantly less than what you could get on CL or ebay. With CL and ebay your game or console only has a potential value rather than a guaranteed value. I have often traded in old games gathering dust on my shelf to knock a little off that $60 price tag. When your a budget gamer such as myself saving $20 or so off of $60 game is a big deal. I do however think gamestop should try to be more competitive with Amazon and Ebay prices though. I often compare the price on my phone when buying a used game at gamestop and make my decision based on the difference and if the having it now justifies the extra cost. I'd be sad if Walmart became my only option for used games.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelonight View Post
    I am not against Digital Down Loads. I reserve those purchases for games I never intend to get rid of.
    My BIGGEST problem with the digital market is that consumers are expected to still shell out $60, $70, or more for a digital game that you are than stuck with.
    There is no way to recoup your losses if you should happen to not like the game. This has happened to me.
    That and as a gamer on a tight budget, more often than not I can't get games new, or it takes me a while to get games and can only find them used.
    Now I have no doubt that Walmart will give Game Stop a run for there money. But as long as there are gamers on a tight budget, there will be a used game market.
    I just recently bought Ni No Kuni new for $6, digitally on PSN. So, while I agree that games CAN be priced high, I'd argue that most digital games move to better prices overtime.

Can't recoup the costs? Don't buy day one.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

If you have the option, try before you buy. I really don't get why more people don't rent games.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    If you have the option, try before you buy. I really don't get why more people don't rent games.
    I actually rent quite often depending on the game length, minus some RPGs that I just enjoy having as a collection that is. Normally I'll rent it on my days off and return it when I return to work since I really don't have time to game during the work week. Renting is a good way to test and see if you truly want to own the game.

Another thing to take into consideration that could spell trouble for Gamestop are services like Playstation now, which seem to be offering ways for gamers to rent games digitally. Not much is known about it but the system has been put through beta. This too could have a major effect.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Hmm, you're Canadian... where do you rent games from? All the old retail rental places are dead. Do you use GameAccess? We subscribed to them for a bit, but it wasn't worth the montly fee because we don't finish games fast enough. I know a few WalMarts have rental boxes with video games in them, but usually only the really big releases.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Not an option in Japan, thanks to some outdated legislation from the early '80s. On the other hand, the secondhand market for games is a lot larger than it is in the US. I know at least a dozen good stores within easy access of all my regular commuting routes.