Thread: Some Grimm Bros Offer a Taste of Dragon Fin Soup

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Some Grimm Bros Offer a Taste of Dragon Fin Soup

While we are somewhat confused about why roguelikes would be named after varieties of soup, we are nonetheless happy to introduce RPGamers to new indie projects. Enjoy the turtle ride to the stars.

[Link]

That's one bizarre name.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Why are indie devs so obsessed with roguelikes lately? It seems like 80% of all indie RPGs are roguelikes nowadays, and another 19% are F2P MMOs...

Is the market not saturated enough yet?
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintaglia View Post
    That's one bizarre name.
    The in-joke in my blurb is that this isn't even the first roguelike to have a name like that. A very hardcore roguelike I'm kinda fond of is called Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I have no idea why, but that's how it is, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Why are indie devs so obsessed with roguelikes lately? It seems like 80% of all indie RPGs are roguelikes nowadays, and another 19% are F2P MMOs...

That's true. Maybe it just feels like that to me because those two are the only RPG genres I don't care for.

Roguelikes are probably the easiest genre to develop. Except maybe puzzle games.

F2P MMORPGs are good quick money.

Apparently not. You can tell it's pretty saturated though, because RPGamer doesn't cover half of them. You guys tend to focus on console games; most roguelikes are PC exclusive or come out first on PC.

Some of them don't have enough RPG mechanics to be covered (Spelunky).
    Some of the are RPG Maker games (One Way Heroics).
    The only reason the rest can't be covered: They're too indie. I understand you guys don't have the time to cover the smaller indie games. And roguelikes tend to be smaller in terms of development cost in the spectrum of indie game budgets, so they tend to be skipped for coverage. This one looks quite indie too. Any reason this one got picked up over others?

Anyway, did not enjoy watching the trailer. They seem to have a problem: our game is fun to play, but it's not fun to look at. Let's make it flashy! I guess all trailers do this. Doesn't make it right... Even so, I would have enjoyed the trailer more if the gameplay sections were in one section and the cutscenes in another.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    This game has decent production values and Nyx appears to have noticed it on the PS Blog. Also, it has a fishing mini-game. I'll just go ahead and declare us biased towards games that involve fishing.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Well, this particular roguelike let's you choose how roguelike-like you want it. There's survival mode which is very rougelikey and story mode, which plays more like a traditional tactical RPG. I'm mostly interested in it for Story Mode.