Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of GBA Classics Coming to Wii U

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Couple of GBA Classics Coming to Wii U

Nintendo is adding a few more classics to the Wii U Virtual Console. This month features a decent batch of GBA titles, including these two RPGs.

[ Story ]
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 04-02-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

So, SNES games can't come out on the 3DS but GBA games can come out on the Wii U? I wish Nintendo wouldn't make me question their business plan so often.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

It wouldn't be as much of an issue if they had cross-buy, but I also question the sanity of Nintendo's business choices when it comes to focusing on the WiiU VC and letting the 3DS VC stagnate. I've yet to hear any credible reasons why both SNES and GBA games can't be emulated on the 3DS.

originally I thought I heard they wanted to keep console games on the console or something stupid like that. Considering the GBA could emulate SNES games I don't see how a 3DS wouldn't be capable. Maybe they think people want a 3D enabled revamp? There's more than a few games I want on the VC for my 3DS. Either way, the VC is not enough to draw sales in its current form.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

They can't get sleep to work with GBA games, and for Nintendo that's a dealbreaker.

Didn't seem to be an issue for them with the GBA slot on the DS. Interesting why it apparently is now.

And from a technical perspective, that's a strange problem. They already know how to do save states, functionally its not much different. If they opened platform development to opensource devs like the ones that make PC emulators, I bet they'd have a fully functional GBA emulator for the 3DS in no time.

I have a feeling that there is something else blocking it, rather than some nonsense technical issue.

If I remember correctly, The DS didn't go into sleep mode when playing GBA games...

That's right. And if it wasn't an issue then, why is it now? Just because its all software driven now?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    All the weirder because I have several GBA titles on my 3DS already, thanks to the Ambassador Program. o_O

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    All the weirder because I have several GBA titles on my 3DS already, thanks to the Ambassador Program. o_O
    They're trying to sell WiiUs in my opinion, that's why it's currently just exclusive for WiiU.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    That's right. And if it wasn't an issue then, why is it now? Just because its all software driven now?
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    The Ambassador games were promised before they realized the issue would arise. They were obliged to release those, but since they're all incapable of sleeping (and they're somewhat of a buggy mess, depending on the game) you won't see more until they solve their chief problem.

Plus, as Darky pointed out, they're throwing everything at the WiiU. They don't need to sell 3DS, especially not on classic games.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    At least they don't crash completely, the way some of my GBC games would in a Nintendo SP when it was closed.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    They're trying to sell WiiUs in my opinion, that's why it's currently just exclusive for WiiU.
    Well they sure are trying to sell Wii Us, but I don't think this is really intended as a system seller or anything. Still, Nintendo really needs to find a way to do duel releases for VC stuff.

Golden Sun was a hopelessly mediocre game, and Golden Sun 2 is the most boring RPG I've ever played. I literally had to fight against falling asleep when I was trying to play it!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I like both Golden Suns, and am looking forward to playing them again. Different tastes!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I like both Golden Suns, and am looking forward to playing them again. Different tastes!
    Golden Sun is one of my all-time favorite RPG franchises. It's a shame there aren't more of them.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Tintaglia View Post
    Golden Sun was a hopelessly mediocre game, and Golden Sun 2 is the most boring RPG I've ever played. I literally had to fight against falling asleep when I was trying to play it!
    Golden Sun was amazing, and Lost Age was almost as good. I literally could not pull myself away and lost many nights of sleep as a result.

See? I can make subjective statements as if they were facts too!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Golden Sun was amazing, and Lost Age was almost as good. I literally could not pull myself away and lost many nights of sleep as a result.

See? I can make subjective statements as if they were facts too!
    I actually liked Lost Age better than the first game, mostly because Felix and Jenna were more interesting than Isaac and Garet.

Still waiting on a followup to Dark Dawn. Probably not going to happen, sadly. I don't think it did too well in sales
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, if VG Chartz is to be believed, Dark Dawn sold about 700,000 copies worldwide, more than half of that in North America. That's not too bad. Both of the first two games sold over a million each though, so...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Well, if VG Chartz is to be believed, Dark Dawn sold about 700,000 copies worldwide, more than half of that in North America. That's not too bad. Both of the first twogames sold over a million each though, so...
    VG Chartz is almost never to be believed. According to Media Create (the only reputable source I could find), the game had only sold 80,000 copies in Japan by the end of 2011. I have a very difficult time believing that it sold 700,000 copies worldwide with those JP numbers.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance