Thread: Class of Heroes 2G to Arrive on PSN This Spring

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Class of Heroes 2G to Arrive on PSN This Spring

Class is back in session, though it looks like these students will be repeating a grade. Class of Heroes 2G is releasing this Spring on PlayStation 3.

News Story

Next up, Class of Heroes 3?

Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    Next up, Class of Heroes 3?
    Wasn't that supposed to come out last year?

It seems like the troubles of releasing on time are following Vic no matter what company he publishes under.

Quote Originally Posted by Tintaglia View Post
    Wasn't that supposed to come out last year?

It seems like the troubles of releasing on time are following Vic no matter what company he publishes under.
    The PSP version DID release last year, but not 2G. They were hinting the release of 2G though in Retro Magazine back at the end of December! You can get the PSP version of CoH2 on PSN right now.

I passed on the PSP version hoping this would get announced so I was glad it didn't take long.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    The PSP version DID release last year, but not 2G. They were hinting the release of 2G though in Retro Magazine back at the end of December! You can get the PSP version of CoH2 on PSN right now.
    He was commenting about Class of Hero's 3 Nyx.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Wasn't this series only for handhelds previously? This is the first one being ported to PS3? Is it any good or more like compile hearts bad?

$35 is pretty expensive for a downloadable game, I usually wouldn't pay more than $10 for one, maybe $15. Maybe $35 for a physical copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Wasn't this series only for handhelds previously? This is the first one being ported to PS3? Is it any good or more like compile hearts bad?

$35 is pretty expensive for a downloadable game, I usually wouldn't pay more than $10 for one, maybe $15. Maybe $35 for a physical copy.
    Not that unusual of a price depending on game. The Dynasty Warrior games are like 50 or so and the last couple have only been Digital
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I guess I'm personally willing to drop $20 on downloadable games. I just spent $20 on Half Minute Hero 2 and another $20 on Anno 2070 (not an RPG).

I suppose that threshold is different for each person.

Yeah I guess $20 is still fine but anything more seems just too much. Considering how many good digital games you can get for $10, why pay triple or or more?

Of course I'd be more interesting on an answer to my questions rather than talking about the cost.

I played the first game and wasn't a huge fan. It's essentially the gameplay you discovered in Shining in the Darkness (or even Phantasy Star [1] before that), but with a character creation system. You'll create six characters and play them. There's an option to create more characters and swap them in/out of your party, but I'm not sure why you'd do that. As usual, there are dungeons to explore and map out, with random battles to interrupt you. Some races/classes are definitely weaker than others. There's some kind of party cooperation system that isn't obvious, so I think it's worth looking at a guide before playing to figure out optimal party composition (or at least a good one you can win the game with) to save yourself some trial and error.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I found the first game to be pretty inaccessable to newcomers. It does a terrible job of introducing you to how it works, and because I have no time for that, I never ended up getting very far before picking up something else.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    He was commenting about Class of Hero's 3 Nyx.
    Whoops. I misread. I thought it was referring to 2 releasing last year. There's never been talk of 3 ever coming over though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I found the first game to be pretty inaccessable to newcomers. It does a terrible job of introducing you to how it works, and because I have no time for that, I never ended up getting very far before picking up something else.
    Same here. I only got a couple hours into the first before I put it away for things; give me HM tutorials or Fire Emblem's 10-level prologue any day over not enough information :P It drives me nuts in my current game, too (Bleach 3rd Phantom)

I can agree CoH1 was fairly obtuse. It's a very standard Wizardry clone, so if you're familiar with those you'll feel right at home in CoH. If you don't, there's a definitive learning curve. It took me something like 5 hours before I felt like I was doing actual progress, but after that I did like the game. Of course I really like gridders in general.

BTW, there's a pretty good guide here for anyone interested in getting into this genre: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discu...p-at-a-time/p1

Whoops. I misread. I thought it was referring to 2 releasing last year. There's never been talk of 3 ever coming over though!
    Oh, there has actually! 3 was supposed to come last summer, I think? Vic wants to bring over the whole series. He says every game in the series is better than the last one, but some time ago he said somewhere that the sales of CoH2 has been so slow that the ones beyond 3 might not make it after all.

Gaijinworks has a sign-up drive for a physical print run for 2G in here: http://www.gaijinworks.com/

I can agree CoH1 was fairly obtuse. It's a very standard Wizardry clone, so if you're familiar with those you'll feel right at home in CoH. If you don't, there's a definitive learning curve. It took me something like 5 hours before I felt like I was doing actual progress, but after that I did like the game. Of course I really like gridders in general.

BTW, there's a pretty good guide here for anyone interested in getting into this genre: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discu...p-at-a-time/p1

Oh, there has actually! 3 was supposed to come last summer, I think? Vic wants to bring over the whole series. He says every game in the series is better than the last one, but some time ago he said somewhere that the sales of CoH2 has been so slow that the ones beyond 3 might not make it after all.

Gaijinworks has a sign-up drive for a physical print run for 2G in here: http://www.gaijinworks.com/
    Saying and doing are two things Victor Ireland is good and bad at. I remember him saying he wanted to bring them all over, but there was never anything official that stated it was actually happening. There wasn't any official press releases or anything for 3, and 2G I saw the rumors and then it was in Retro which I then realized made that way more official. But heck, what do I know? This isn't a series I can say I care that much for. 2G is at least good news for those who care about it though. I linked the physical edition sign-up in the article. Hopefully they make the quota they want.

The delightful growing trend of making news stories from off-hand twitter comments.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I can agree CoH1 was fairly obtuse. It's a very standard Wizardry clone, so if you're familiar with those you'll feel right at home in CoH.
    Unless you're like me, and your concept of Wizardry involves the games that weren't made in Japan.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Saying and doing are two things Victor Ireland is good and bad at. I remember him saying he wanted to bring them all over, but there was never anything official that stated it was actually happening. There wasn't any official press releases or anything for 3, and 2G I saw the rumors and then it was in Retro which I then realized made that way more official.
    I never realized there hasn't been an official press release about CoH3. He has been talking about it on several forums and I do believe he's said he's been working on the translation.

The 2G sign-up drive doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'm not interested personally, but it's a nice idea to offer the option. I hear the physical print run for the PSP version sold about as many copies as people signed up for, and some copies have been sold (not just offered but sold) on eBay for crazy sums of money. So I'm guessing this is a nice opportunity for the eBay scalpers and such.

Hmm I like Wizardry, so maybe I should give this one a try.