Thread: Feature - Fictional Roleplaying + Giveaway

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Feature - Fictional Roleplaying + Giveaway

RPGamer's staff librarian-in-training is here with some reader's advisory recommendations. Get ready to add to your to-be-read pile. Did I mention mine is over four hundred books?

Books! Books! Boooooooks!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Let's add a few!

Guardians of the Flame series, Joel Rosenberg -- A high fantasy novel about a role-playing group (started in the early 80s, so it was all new then) who discover the hard way that their previous gaming campaign was just preparation for the dungeon master, who's an exiled wizard from the (not so) fictional campaign setting. Once they're thrust directly into that world and the roles they've chosen for themselves, they find that living the adventure is a lot harder than just dice rolls. And then the cognitive dissonance between who they are and who their characters are supposed to be starts setting in.

Otherland by Tad Williams -- A lot of us recommended this one to Sam, but the sheer size of the tome would've kept it off her reading list if she wanted to finish this project any time before 2015. Suffice to say, if it can be connected to cyberpunk, virtual reality, and MMORPGs, it's probably somewhere in this novel.

Dream Park by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes -- Written in 1981, this novel was possibly the greatest inspiration for the live-action role-play (LARP) movement.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 04-18-2014 at 06:03 AM.

And one day I will get to all three of those. They are on my TBR! I just, omg the size of a few of those would meant this feature would never ever be done. I would have given up! But that's okay, a different book you recommended to me years ago ended up on it, so that should tell you something!

...I WAS LISTENING.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    And I'm glad you listened!

... and that "tastes like chicken" scene still cracks me up.

I just put a bunch of these on hold at the local library, since I've been looking forward to this feature for a while.

Gonna be reading a lot in the next few weeks.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    I just put a bunch of these on hold at the local library, since I've been looking forward to this feature for a while.

Gonna be reading a lot in the next few weeks.
    Awww thank you! I never know if a lot of these features are going to work out or not. Don't forget there IS a giveaway at the bottom for Guy in Real Life and a book from the list of your choice. So if there's something you really want and you win, ask and you shall receive. (just omg don't ask for Villains by Necessity because I can't help there!)

So this is about books where fictional RPGs play an important role in the story? It took me awhile to get that.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    You can never have too many books in the backlog, I say. I don't know when I'll get to these, but we'll see.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Here's another one to add to the backlog:

Halting State, by Charles Stross - Takes a near-future look at the economies of Eve-like MMOs spilling over into the real world and impacting the economy. Stross is one of the sci-fi authors I read regularly, and since Halting State, a lot of his works have gaming elements or influences, even if the main plot may be focused elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Otherland by Tad Williams -- A lot of us recommended this one to Sam, but the sheer size of the tome would've kept it off her reading list if she wanted to finish this project any time before 2015. Suffice to say, if it can be connected to cyberpunk, virtual reality, and MMORPGs, it's probably somewhere in this novel.

Dream Park by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes -- Written in 1981, this novel was possibly the greatest inspiration for the live-action role-play (LARP) movement.
    I read maybe the first 3rd of Otherland years ago before putting it down. Didn't like it for reasons I'm having trouble recalling at this point. Dream Park is one I've been meaning to get to one of these days (Niven has written some good stuff other than this).

Sooo many more books added to my to-read pile.

I think I've heard that WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer is in the same sort of plot style, but it seems from goodreads to be internet related, rather than MMORPG. Though I haven't read it, so...

(This is probably an odd place for my first post, isn't it? *waves to Nyx*)
    Ventureadlaxre - What a relaxing adventure
    Book reviews, interviews, news, and competitions

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Sam cannot read the works of Sawyer, for he is the arch-nemesis of her mentor.

No, i am not bit kidding or even making that up a little. for reals.

Quote Originally Posted by thiefofcamorr View Post
    Sooo many more books added to my to-read pile.

I think I've heard that WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer is in the same sort of plot style, but it seems from goodreads to be internet related, rather than MMORPG. Though I haven't read it, so...

(This is probably an odd place for my first post, isn't it? *waves to Nyx*)
    EEEEEEEEE! *GLOMPS*

Also what Fowl says is true. My thesis supervisor in university was Robert J. Sawyer's enemy. The two of them used to bicker like two old bitties. Thankfuly, if I want to read Sawyer now, I CAN! NO ONE CAN STOP ME! ... except for my backlog. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    he is the arch-nemesis of her mentor.
    They don't know how lucky they are! I've always wanted an arch-nemesis. I mean, who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    EEEEEEEEE! *GLOMPS*
    Hiiiii I don't know why I didn't join here ages ago. Too embarrassed about how little I play games these days D:

For those not Sam, who has a backlog and books on the way, there's a listopia list on goodreads apparently. I wonder if it holds any gems not yet discussed here~
    Ventureadlaxre - What a relaxing adventure
    Book reviews, interviews, news, and competitions