Thread: RPGCast - Episode 302: "Go Buy A Coat"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 302: "Go Buy A Coat"

RPGCast - Episode 302: "Go Buy A Coat"

Michael Apps joins us to talk Landmark, Child of Light, Diablo 3 PS4, and Kawazu. Anna tells us whether she prefers sequels. Chris just plays more Diablo 3. Manny teaches us about the importance of nuclear deterrence for babies. And poor Alex has to play Conception II.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/302

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Go Buy A Coat"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Correction to my Conception II comments, the soundtrack apparently isn't Masfumi Takada (composer of Danganronpa), but Masato Kouda instead. It does have a very similar style to the Danganronpa OST though
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

New Member Member
    Can't believe you missed the biggest RPG news story of the week. Hideo Baba announced Tales of Hearts R is being localized on the Vita. I guess the fan outpouring at Gio Corsi on twitter may have worked. I think it's more likely they looked at a combination of the Vita's high software attach rate and how well Bravely Default did in North America and Europe to justify it. It's crazy to see all these Vita games we once wrote off as Japan only being announced for localization. I have a feeling Sony may have some involvement in an attempt to bolster their lineup without dedicating resources to developing their own titles. It's similar to what we are seeing on PS4 with all of the indie and remaster announcements.

Question for the cast. Something that has been on my mind since all of these Vita games have been announced.

What do you think of the current business model in the handheld market? Is it sustainable?

I believe handled gaming is the sweet spot for creating new and complete experiences while mitigating financial risk. When you think about gaming as a whole, expectations have shifted in what the price of a game should be. The handheld space is one of the few places left where publishers can charge a high price in relation to the development cost of a game. Current generation console games can have development budgets of over $10 Million, but still sell for $60 where a handheld game can have a budget of less that $1 Million, and still charge $40. While I am all for keeping game prices low, we are seeing the negative effects of this pricing model with publishers going DLC, preorder bonus, and microtransaction overload. Mobile games are suffering as well because of the expectations around what a game app should cost. Most people aren't willing to shell out $40 for a mobile game, even if it may play the same as its handheld counterpart. You see these issues come up much less on the handheld side, because I feel the price you pay is a fairer representation of a game's development costs. It follows the traditional business model in which you pay for a complete product and that money funds the next project. I am however slightly concerned now that Nintendo has embraced DLC and microtransactions in their newer handheld games. I really hope handheld gaming continues to thrive as I believe it currently has the healthiest business model for gamers and publishers when compared to other platforms. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by DeadBow; 04-20-2014 at 01:51 PM.

What, what? Mobile games are suffering? Last I heard they were explosively popular, and possibly the deadliest competition of the 3DS/Vita. No, people don't expect to pay $40 for mobile, but neither do they expect a mobile game to have $40 development costs. Mobile games that are grander in scope are just broken down into smaller chapters or episodes anyway (see: Dragon Fantasy). $40-60 is bizarrely steep for any digitally distributed game - typically the price is hiked that high to avoid upsetting retailers, even though a digital version with no physical production or distribution costs is literally much cheaper to send out.

I'll cast my vote for an HD remake if a game is impossible to get a) cheap (Panzer Dragoon Saga and everything else on the Saturn), b) in English, or c) with all the cool extra stuff that other countries got and we didn't (FF X-2). Otherwise I'd prefer a sequel and pray that it doesn't turn out like Chrono Cross.

I couldn't quite make out what the story about Knight and Baby was (Guardian's Crusade in the US). I did enjoy that game immensely; it's a basic, lighthearted, and fun little RPG.

Thank you for the tip about Sony's Flash Sale. I already knew about it and had bought the Sam&Max/Back to the Future/Monkey Island Telltale bundles, but I didn't know that the Jurassic Park bundle was also by Telltale, so I went back and bought it as well. I also decided to try Tokyo Jungle on your recommendation.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Question of the week: Awesome remake or new game?

On the side of the awesome remakes, we have Romancing SaGa : Minstrel Song, SaGa 2, and SaGa 3. Those three games were each so expanded and different from their originals that they were simultaneously all the good things combined with all sorts of new stuff. If S-E ever gets its act together and continues the remake parade with the next two Romancing SaGa games, I shall be very happy indeed.

I couldn't quite make out what the story about Knight and Baby was (Guardian's Crusade in the US). I did enjoy that game immensely; it's a basic, lighthearted, and fun little RPG.
    Basically that I did a review of it. Normally I don't do reviews for games that did get localizations into English, but in this case the only review we had for it was so awful that I felt obliged to weigh in on it.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 04-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Honestly, as much as I'd love a modern remake OR sequel to Valis, there comes a time when a series is better off left to rest, so that new franchises can come into being. We're seeing enough stagnation and old series being rehashed over and over again (Nintendo), that I'd just rather see a new IP, a new universe to explore and characters to fall in love with. Above all, we in gaming need to be comfortable with the idea that a franchise can end. Look where we are now with Hollywood. So many remakes, and none of them live up to the originals. I can't help but wonder how frequently that would occur with gaming, and honestly, I'd rather not watch a treasured franchise get desecrated.

Now, straight-up re-releases need to happen more often. The industry is piss poor when it comes to preservation of older titles. If it weren't for emulation, flash carts and clone hardware, I imagine we'd have lost 90% of our gaming history by now.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

If anyone was wondering, I had to work this Saturday just gone.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I think remakes and sequels can both be okay. So far, I haven't been disappointed by a remake I've purchased: War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre's remakes are some of my favourite games now. On the other hand, Warcraft: The Frozen Throne's sequel was World of Warcraft, which makes me a sand kitten.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    World of Warcraft made you adorable? Man, I think it just made me fatter.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Anna: Like you, I don't care much for playing Hearthstone vs. Chris. Actually, I don't care to play vs. anyone. I'm not a big fan of any PvP. I see it lead to more fights and hard feelings than anything else. I much prefer co-op and single player experiences. I like Hearthstone, but I'm disappointed at the single player options being so painfully limited. Thankfully, Blizzard will rectify that in the future. I will probably pay real money, as one must play vs. mode to earn gold, and I don't find that super fun.

Chris: I've really been enjoying Diablo, as well, though I'm not nearly as far in. I've got a couple of 70s, and I'm lv 16 paragon. What little time I get to spend on it right now, I use to level up my other classes (I want to have them all up to 70, eventually). I do think Anna should be playing Diablo with you rather than FB games. Remember, a family that slays together, stays together!

I played the Conception II demo. It certainly is...interesting. I can definitely see it offending some people. There's definitely a lot of innuendos revolving around having children and relationships. There's nothing X rated about the graphics or how they handle it...the worse you see is two silloettes holding hands while bending over in somewhat suggestive poses. I agree that it looks MUCH better on the Vita than the 3DS (I played both demos). Man. I love that Vita screen. I know some people have complained about the way the still portraits of the characters move a bit as if they're breathing or something. It's similar to the effect I've seen in Vanillaware games. Personally, I think its fine and like it better than totally sill pics during chats.

As far as computer prices and what not...You can buy a good gaming rig for around $1,000. Decent graphics cards (that are better than PS4's) start around $150ish I wanna say. Mine was $400. I wanted something that could go well above a PS4, and will be futureproof. The best graphic cards generally exceed $800 (or more if you go duel cards). At that point, you start getting a lot less bang per buck IMHO. That other cost factors that drive my computer to the $2,000 price range: lots of storage space, a seperate 250gb flash hard drive for OS and frequest games (once you go flash, you don't go back. It's like high speed internet versus Dial up. Windows boots in 15 seconds instead of 70). I also got 2 DVD drives (one is a blu ray) because I like to watch movies while I play games (BTW...expensive $400 graphics card allows me to handle movies on screen two while I have Tomb Raider on full graphics on Screen one). So, yeah, I'm spoiled, LOL!!! But, anyone who just wants to get into the PC gaming scene can do a decent gaming rig without all my bells for $1100ish (or less...I've heard of some people building their own for under $1k).

Being a both a long time fan of comics and Amazon, I am happy about the acquisition of ComiXology by Amazon. While ComiXology is cool, their daily deals kinda leave me wanting. Amazon's sales have been better, and I've actually bought more comics from Amazon because of this. Thanks for the heads up about Audible.com daily deals. That right there might be good enough to make me join.

On the Vita 'new screen,' I back you, Chris. First, I do notice the difference between the DS and DS games on 3DS. They look distorted...especially if text is involved. With IPads, I'm not sure I noticed a difference at first...but now that I have a new iPad, I cringe every time I use my wife's older one. So, I have no doubt that I would notice a difference. I love, love, love how bright and rich the Vita colors are. It's SOOO much better than, say, the 3DS. I would not want to take a step back, there.
    Last edited by jcservant; 04-22-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Awesome remake or new game?

Answer is conditional for both. If I've played the original version, I don't really need a remake unless its Dragon Quest. But I'd love remakes for games I never got around to or weren't originally localized, like Seiken Densetsu 3 or Mother 3. And if the remake is going to cost a lot less to produce, which would help fund a new game, that would be a great thing too. But if its a series I've played everything in, like say Wild Arms or some other series, I'd rather just have a new game because I'm not going to replay a game I've already played before.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    I played the Conception II demo. It certainly is...interesting. I can definitely see it offending some people. There's definitely a lot of innuendos revolving around having children and relationships. There's nothing X rated about the graphics or how they handle it...the worse you see is two silloettes holding hands while bending over in somewhat suggestive poses. I agree that it looks MUCH better on the Vita than the 3DS (I played both demos). Man. I love that Vita screen. I know some people have complained about the way the still portraits of the characters move a bit as if they're breathing or something. It's similar to the effect I've seen in Vanillaware games. Personally, I think its fine and like it better than totally sill pics during chats.
    Yeah, for the most part they do work fairly well. It's mostly whenever there's a conversation between the MC and Chlotz, as they're the ones who most look like they're nodding along to some music and preparing to bust some moves. :P
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    "I wonder which one Michael Apps would prefer"

Souls Sacrifice Delta! If you check out my review my general opinion was basically "almost really awesome but not quite" so I'm very curious to see how much they've changed.