Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 116 - The Secret Ingredient

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 116 - The Secret Ingredient

Gust makes a long-running, plentiful series that doesn't adhere to many of the usual RPG stereotypes. Here's a trilogy of them on the PS3, sporting a love for pie and relatively few instances in which killing things is mandatory.
    Mmm... pie....
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Good ole Atelier. Somehow I kept trying the series despite starting out with the insanely terrible port of Mana Khemia for PSP.

I'm surprised I got as deeply into it as I did, starting with basically the hardest game in the series XD

I'm looking forward to starting these games, I've already got Totori, Meruru and Ayesha.

As a side note, those three games are all on sale on PSN this week starting tomorrow, though Ayesha is apparently cheaper on Amazon right now. Of course, there is a sale very soon after I buy one at full price.

I've taken the jump

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I'm looking forward to starting these games, I've already got Totori, Meruru and Ayesha.

As a side note, those three games are all on sale on PSN this week starting tomorrow, though Ayesha is apparently cheaper on Amazon right now. Of course, there is a sale very soon after I buy one at full price.
    To purchase Atelier Rorona. Gotta start at the beginning? I rather play ity on a handheld but I don't have a vita so buying it for hte PS3. All those years of Sam recommending it has paid off . I hope ot tplay the whole series eventually.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    To purchase Atelier Rorona. Gotta start at the beginning? I rather play ity on a handheld but I don't have a vita so buying it for hte PS3. All those years of Sam recommending it has paid off . I hope ot tplay the whole series eventually.
    Honestly, it's a fun series! I keep hoping (and I still see it as a big possibility) that we're going to see New Atelier Rorona. I loved the original game when it released (I know a lot didn't), but I think the improvements they have been showing off for that remake might make Rorona a lot more friendly to newcomers. Totori is my favourite (yes, I like it more than Meruru, but I like Meruru and Rorona too!) and I have horrible temptations often to double dip and grab Totori on the Vita even though I have a perfectly great PS3 copy. This series just makes me so happy and smiley because it's not your typical RPG experience and it's more slice-of-life style story telling. You don't get enough of that in RPGs and for me, especially I love more personal narratives than ye old save the world nonsense. Pretty sure I'm in a minority for that though.

@Paws - you did start with the hardest one! But I think Totori has a lot to offer people and you can still fix your bad ending!

With the PSN sale dropping Totori Plus super cheap, I do want to go back and replay it with some foreknowledge in mind.

I thought about getting Rorona, I am waiting to hear if the PS3/Vita remake is going to be localized. From my understanding though, Rorona can be safely skipped without missing too much. However when/if the remake is localized, I'll definitely be grabbing it. Normally I'm the type that must start at the beginning of the series, but the remake release order is throwing me off.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    My experience with the Atelier series is still limited to Annie on the DS. Even so, these games sounds quite endearing, and I did enjoy Atelier Annie.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I love the love for Atelier games! WOOT!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    My experience with the Atelier series is still limited to Annie on the DS. Even, these games sounds quite endearing, and I did enjoy Atelier Annie.
    Berry, you should totally try the Arland or Dusk series. I strongly suspect you'd love them.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

thinking of getting Meruru while on sale this week, to go along with Totori I won. Seems like it could be a good idea, yes?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Loving Rorona

I'm playing Rorona now and loving it. My only gripes are that it's a little slow. The humour and cuteness and mini skits are all a lot of fun.
    I'm decided I'm not not going to worry about the multiple endings, gaming should not be some stressful faq fest.
    I'm going to watch the endings on you tube after a pretty much completely blind playthough. -I am leaning towards pie and Sterk endings I think

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I fully support just your approach and sentiment here, Balance. FAQ stress test FTL.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'm playing Rorona now and loving it. My only gripes are that it's a little slow. The humour and cuteness and mini skits are all a lot of fun.
    I'm decided I'm not not going to worry about the multiple endings, gaming should not be some stressful faq fest.
    I'm going to watch the endings on you tube after a pretty much completely blind playthough. -I am leaning towards pie and Sterk endings I think
    This is exactly how I approach the Atelier games. It's no fun otherwise, especially on a first playthrough.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Sad news (for me): I got a call earlier this evening from Tsutaya (where I do my pre-orders), and they told me that Atelier Shallie has been delayed to July 17th for unspecified reasons.

Well I tried to think up a similar Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter style re-imaging, but I didn't think I could do the parody justice.

It would have mixed a World War II broadcast with a James Bond trailer, to describe a young princess Elizabeth as a secret agent.
    (Expanding on that London Olympics skit, where she parachuted in with James Bond.)

Finished Rorona, just ordered Totori

Atelier Rorona feels like a long game, but that's because you're kept so busy. I ended up with the true ending on the first playthrough, and it was an immensely enjoyable journey. The Japanese voice acting was very expressive, the music and graphics were very appealing and the humour excellent.
    The true ending wasn't consistent with plot of the beginning narrative but it isn't that necessary to the enjoying the game.
    I adored the theme music for different areas and characters like the blacksmith.
    I think Rorona's parents are (secretly?) adventurers, they always go on holidays and return with reagents, they don't seem rich enough to buy those souveniers haha.
    The assignments needed to avoid failing the game are not hard, the real challenge is in dividing the rest of the time and managing priorities between achieving a high enough popularity rating, dungeon crawling for crucial recipes and reagents, and raising friends approval ratings.
    A few things annoy me about the game, would have been nice to be able to access the approval scores of Rorona's friends in the status, to be able to save anywhere, like before a boss fight. Boss fights are skippable and even easy to "escape" from but I find their difficulty a bit random, sometimes they would wipe you, other times your gauge fills up enough to inflict specials attacks (-but actually exploratory test dungeon runs don't take long, exploiting escape command).
    As with games like Reccetear, the time restrictions are a way of making the game more challenging and encourage multiple playthroughs (Rorona has a new game plus!). In reality, most people would not waste precious time replaying through the game unless they have holiday time. I watched the other endings on you tube. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements on Totori.
    I would end by saying this game makes a nice changeto the epic, save the world, powergaming grind style RPG.

The "villain" in Rorona is a paper pusher who actually runs the country, does the boring paper work, attends all the meetings, the King runs around playing superhero and doesn't even do the royal duty of creating reassuring figurehead continuity by perpetuating the royal line. These are not the values we should give our kids . Btw I hate Tantris/Tristan (the enemy of all women ), the minister's son, he gets zero love from my Rorona

Another series I haven't played but that is what RPGBacktrack is all about. We get the good and the bad that guides us to our RPG pleasure or dismay.