Thread: Megumi Tamago - Japandemonium for April 29th, 2014

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Megumi Tamago - Japandemonium for April 29th, 2014

Showa Day, though, now there's a holiday they can relate to. No school! And a column!
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 04-29-2014 at 07:28 AM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Huzzah, Solle is back! I like Solle, he's funny. His English VA does a great job conveying his personality, too.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    What type of attention has Child of Light been getting in Japan? In NA it was hyped for being inspired by Japanese RPGs and the hand-drawn art they are supposed to look like but don't. I know Japan cares little for games made over here, whether or not they're trying to look or play like a Japanese game, so I was wondering if it's getting any hype.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Honestly, I did not even realize that it was coming out over here until I saw the listing on the release dates. I'll look around again this weekend for any sign of advertising, but from the listed price I'm guessing it's download only, and those don't tend to see a lot of posters put up.

Hmm... after checking around a bit, I found some write-ups about it on 4Gamer, Dengeki, and Famitsu, all within the past month and nothing before. Feels like someone realized that hey, this game was coming over soon, and everyone went into scramble mode.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 04-30-2014 at 08:07 AM.

I think it's download only in NA too, isn't it? I've heard of JP games getting digital only releases in NA, but not vice versa, have you? Now I'm curious.

There aren't that many NA series that come over to Japan anyway. Only the big ones like The Elder Scrolls or Borderlands, recently, and they've all been available on disc. Well, I guess you could count some of the US-born casual game series, but those are download-only by nature.

So does Japan have any niche Western game publishers like we have for their games? I always kinda thought it was more or less the same in that we mostly hear about the big games from Japan but then small companies get out some niche titles. I figured the big western games would hit, but that there would be smaller niche companies for "American" type games.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Thank you very much for your great column.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.