Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Memory of Andrew "Castomel" Long

In Memory of Andrew "Castomel" Long

Today, we remember a former colleague, mentor, and friend. Andrew "Castomel" Long passed away earlier this week, and here many of his friends share their fondest memories.

In Memory...

If you didn't get a chance to contribute to the main post, please share your memories here.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Wow... R.I.P. Castomel

R.I.P. Castomel

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I joined RPGamer too late to get a chance to know Casto very well, but I sure did love to read his Q&A columns back in the day. It sucks the big one that he left this world so soon. My condolences to his family and friends. It's wonderful to see so many past RPGamer staffers come back to share their love and memories.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

R.I.P.

I remember reading some of his reviews.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    I knew Andrew more from Twitter than I did RPGamer. Really nice guy though. My thoughts go out to his family.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Many of his reviews definitely made me chuckle. Rest in peace, Casto.

I have not had a perfect life, but I have been lucky to have been relatively sheltered from an overabundance of death. So I've found it hard to find the right words to describe the emotions I've felt since hearing of Cast's passing earlier in the week. It's like this weird swirl of anger that he had to go young, regret that I didn't talk to him more in recent years, and this overarching, unique kind of sadness that only feels distantly familiar.

Andrew was just a straight-up awesome dude. You could talk to him about almost any subject and you could be sure that he would find something hilarious to say about it with a wit that was entirely unique. When I was employed here I spent so many nights with him in IRC planning, working on site-related things, and just BSing about whatever. Things genuinely felt brighter when he was around. He was just the kind of person that had that innate effect on people.

Andrew and I reconnected recently after losing touch for several years. I wish we had reconnected more thoroughly, and now I deeply regret being so timid. But, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I'm glad that we had the opportunity to reconnect and BS again, I'm glad that I got the chance to chill with him in at E3 2005, and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to know him, because he was one of the good ones.

Hope I get the chance to chill with you again on the other side one day, Andrew. Love you, brother.

Praying that Andrew's family and friends find strength and comfort during this time.

This is such a bizarre thing to address online, yet the only way I knew him was online and it was a real connection, no matter how vague, inconsistent, or adversarial of an acquaintance-level relationship we had. I feel sad, strange, and guilty that I'm not reacting the way that those closer to him legitimately are. I feel like I can only honour him with honesty because I don't know how else to wrangle with an end that of course was way too soon for a person that, really, I didn't know particularly well but still interacted with. I liked Andrew but chose not to be any closer with him than I already was, despite living in the same city as him. Or we both did. He had influence. He had presence. With me, with RPGamer, with many of us, and it's so difficult to wrangle feelings that are not cut-and-dry with something that is an absolute. Andrew's death is tragic and he will be missed. I hope he continues to have influence on me because while I might have guilt - legitimate or not - I also firmly believe that any human relationship that begins never truly ends, no matter how minor, no matter how strange, no matter what form, no matter our feelings about it. I hope he was comfortable, happy, and at peace when he passed, because what else can anybody hope for? I have no way to wrap this up because there is, apparently, no way to wrap up anything. Ends are unfinished. Rest in peace, Andrew.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I didn't know him as well as someone who has visited this site for as long as I have probably should, but his loss is a great one nonetheless. Rest in peace, Castomel. My thoughts go out to his family.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I didn't know him or of him until this, but still, RIP.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Cast and I had a fair number of forum exchanges back in the day. Good times. It's a darn shame he's gone.

@Martyr - I hear you about having a hard time processing it. I recall Castomel being the closest staffer in age to myself, which made it extra weird hearing the news.
    Last edited by watcher; 05-02-2014 at 10:27 PM.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    If anyone wants to go back and look over some of Andrew's work for the site, you can check out his review archive here: http://www.rpgamer.com/pointsofview/...submitter&id=8

I didn't know him that well, but he was one of only a handful of authors to write more than 50 reviews for the site. It's a legacy that will live on as long as RPGamer does.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I think that Andrew would have appreciated the irony that there's a link to Rhapsody at the bottom of his Memorial.

During my time here, I don't recall ever truly having direct contact with Andrew other than a couple of emails. Nonetheless, I know without a doubt that his contributions to the site have been tremendous, more so his contributions to other people's lives. Rest well, sir, and may the games be awesome wherever you are.

P.S. Just saw that I'm still listed as staff. It embarrasses me to have been away from action for way too long without any other reason other than RL.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasure of much interaction with Andrew (although have had some through twitter), coming into the site at a later point. However, from what people have said it seems apparent that his contributions in have played a huge part on what makes RPGamer the community I'm very happy to be a part of today, so thank you to him for that and rest in peace.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I mostly remember him from being the weekend Q&A host. I originally started visiting the site for the news and the Q&A column, so I would say he helped in making me a regular visitor.
    I'm sorry to hear that he has past on.

Otherwise here's a link to his old bios page, if it helps to put a face to his name:
    http://www.rpgamer.com/bios/along.html

Hobo With A Huge Heart O Shrouded One's Avatar
    That was very beautiful. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by asvaitso View Post
    I think that Andrew would have appreciated the irony that there's a link to Rhapsody at the bottom of his Memorial.
    That was my special tribute to him.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    That was my special tribute to him.
    We could have gone with a number of different games there. I think Andrew handed out more 1/5 reviews than any other staffer in RPGamer history.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!