Thread: RPGCast - Episode 304: "Castomel and Order"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 304: "Castomel and Order"

RPGCast - Episode 304: "Castomel and Order"

We remember Andrew Long. We'll miss you, buddy. But the show must go on and we talk about Happy Meals, luminescent children, Kemco games, and mechanical Nintendo CEOs.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/304

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Castomel and Order"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

RIP Castomel

QotW: I'll take the cheap answer of Final Fantasy V Advance because it's the version that has no load times and a localization by someone who doesn't do possibly illegal drugs.

Nintendo @ E3: Nintendo tried the "Games, everybody! Games!" thing since WiiU, and got a good few third party efforts (the best version of Runner 2, ZombiU, the best Call of Duty on any of the last three consoles, Rayman Legends) to go with their 1st party efforts (the Pikmin 3 / WWHD / Mario 3d World / DKCR grouping). The larger gaming media hasn't cared. Even when they put out a video explaining everything they're doing at E3 (the "Digital Event" which we still don't know what that means, the Smash tournament, the return of Best Buy) the larger gaming media focused on the thing that wasn't being done (the waste-of-time press conference).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    First off, I'm sad to hear about what happened to Castomel. I'm not quite as familiar with the man, but the interactions I remember from the forums were pleasant. Till all are one, Castomel.

Regarding the Wii U, Anna is about as wrong as she usually is when it comes to Nintendo, to the point of being revisionist. Everything about the Wii U at launch was catered to the non-gamer. Outside of the crapped-out ports from 3rd parties and ZombiU, everything Nintendo was talking about was aimed at casuals and non-gamers. That the big launch title was a 2D Mario shows that they weren't trying to get to us, so let's not delude ourselves. Nintendo had looked past us and were looking to reclaim the non-gamer that they lost when iOS hit big. NintendoLand was positioned to be the next Wii Sports, and there were a crapton of mini-game collections when the system came out.

The ONLY reason we're here now is that the non-gamers stopped following the Wii after 2010 and moved on to the next fad, tablet gaming. And that leaves us with the real reason that Nintendo struggles with gamers. It's not because the media doesn't give them a chance, or that gamers have blacklisted them or any other hilarious nonsense that Nintendo apologists spew. Put simply, unless you climax at the thought of the latest Mario, Zelda or Metriod title, there isn't any reason at all to buy a Nintendo home console. Nintendo never learned how to treat 3rd parties as partners after being forced to abandon their anti-competitive practices in the mid 90s, and when the PlayStation came out, most never looked back, save for the occasional gimped port or shovelware release. Combine that with Nintendo putting a near-complete stop to anything non-mascot early in the GameCube era, and you have a brand with no sustainable appeal outside of the Nintendo Defense Force. That was the reason for the tablet controller - they were trying to catch a ride on the touch screen wave, and no one bought in.

I don't say this because I hate Nintendo. Far from it. They're perhaps the only company out there that still cares to put any effort at all into non-violent gaming titles, something this industry has otherwise abandoned. I hope they can recapture the glory days of the Super Nintendo, if only for that reason alone. However, with their current head-in-the-sand attitude and sub-par release schedule, I don't see it happening, and their lack of an E3 conference only underscores the fact that we're probably going to keep hearing about the same games we've been hearing about for the last two years (minus perhaps Mario Kart 8). The fact is, Nintendo made the bed its lying in, not by trying to court the media, but by not having a damn thing the media, or gamers, would care to talk about.

Anyway, here's a QotW, since I actually still have my GBA carts and don't really care to re-buy games in a format that removes ownership: Chris was really indignant about that one indie game being described as a JRPG because it wasn't by a Japanese company, but what else would you call them? "JRPG style" makes it sound like they're just posing, and defining a genre by its region is stupid and short-sighted, so how do we come up with more geographically neutral terms. While we're at it, why do we call Witcher, STALKER and other games from the Eastern Bloc "western RPGs" when there are clearly more than enough influences from cultures that are about as far removed from "western" as Japan is?
    Last edited by MasterChief; 05-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

There's one GBA RPG that Nintendo really should make available through digital download immediately, the sooner the better, and that's Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

I don't have answers for their other woes. They may be better off exiting the home console business entirely, and focusing only on their handheld systems. It may have been unwise for them to invest in a tablet controller; in the short term, the tablet is an added expense, and in the long-term, this means that Wii U games cannot easily be translated to digital download sales in any other format.

Nice to see you're still rude as ever, MC, but this time I'll bite. The approach has been towards non-gamers -- that's not the point I'm making. They were through the original announcement through 2012 trying to go through the big mainstream media to get that message out. It's not working. A casual google search will show you a lot of doom and gloom about the WiiU...not the sentiment they want a gamer to go looking for.
    Showing up at events -- stressing that I'm referring to them extending out to NON-GAMER CENTRIC events -- means they can try to reach people they can't through traditional channels.

Screw the press. Get in front of people as often as possible without barriers. It won't save the WiiU (let's face it, nothing will), but treading water is still better than drowning.
    They also need to seriously rethink their social strategy, but I really glossed over it on the cast because that's a whole 'nother barrel of fish that I didn't want to get in to on this particular cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Victar View Post
    There's one GBA RPG that Nintendo really should make available through digital download immediately, the sooner the better, and that's Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.
    It was released on WiiU last month.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Screw the press. Get in front of people as often as possible without barriers. It won't save the WiiU (let's face it, nothing will), but treading water is still better than drowning.
    They also need to seriously rethink their social strategy, but I really glossed over it on the cast because that's a whole 'nother barrel of fish that I didn't want to get in to on this particular cast.
    What people are they going to get in front of without gaming media? Comic book shows, PAX-style events, Nintendo Direct, that's all the same as Republican politicians only talking to Fox News. Preaching to the choir isn't going to help them, because those people have Wii U systems already. They're already on the Mario, Zelda, Metroid bandwagon, and they've clearly not convinced enough others already. Non-gaming press? The same non-gaming press that decided that they weren't going to prop up the Wii U because it wasn't as much of a novelty as the original Wii? Those people are gone when it comes to dedicated gaming hardware, and even Nintendo knows this, what with the whole "quality of life" platform they're talking about now. Unless they plan to move on from home gaming like they moved on from playing cards, Nintendo needs to convince gamers, and the gaming press, that Nintendo home hardware has something to offer them. I'm sorry, Anna, but Chris is absolutely right - Nintendo needs more top-tier games, not a change in messaging.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 05-05-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Little grammar touchups.

You're gonna hate me for saying this-Nintendo are going to console themselvs with the home market.
    <evades missiles>

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    You're gonna hate me for saying this-Nintendo are going to console themselvs with the home market.
    <evades missiles>

Oh and since I missed this before, I have to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin
    ...the best Call of Duty on any of the last three consoles...
    LOL no. Ignoring the framerate issues the Wii U version of Call of Duty: Black Ops II has (not present in either the PS3 or 360 versions), it is categorically impossible to have the best version of a game focused on online multiplayer-focused on a console that is not only barely better than the Wii in terms of online infrastructure and feature set, but so many leagues behind the PS3/4 and Xbox 360/Xbone that it's not worth even talking about.

Is anyone else getting 3 mins of dead air after the podcast's end music?
    (Seems to happen to me with the itunes version as well.)

And wasn't Chris supposed to put the Question of the week in the actual topic post? ... I guess not.

So which GBA game do we want released on Wii U? Well the correct answer is MOTHER 3, although I am fairly curious to see what they do with the Boktai series. (Those games with a light sensor on the cartridge.)