Thread: RPGCast - Episode 305: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 305: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"

RPGCast - Episode 305: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"

Today we have a special late-night edition of the RPG Cast. Chris goes on a rant about FF3. Anna Marie gets jealous about Jon's Japanese 3DS. And Cassandra joins us to lend us her expect opinions about the Alpha and Omega of Pokémon.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/305

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

Question of the Week: Will you buy the new Pokémon game? Why or why not?

I thank Chris's dedication for coming back from illness (nice work Anna) cuz I love this show. To Strawberry Eggs - Paths of Radiance is awesome(I've read it) enjoy!
    I'm loving original Totori at the moment, I can't complain since I'm on a borrowed PS3 and it was cheap. Yeah playing on a vita with the plus version would've been awsome but I support the series at my disposable income level I guess. I'm only in the early part of the game but , LOL Totori seems like such a nice girl, but at the start she seems like a carbon copy of Rorona, learns all the bad (good from moe perspective) habits from Rorona like blowing herself up and falling flat on her face, oh and it's true, she's more dress than girl but still taller than Cordelia.
    I want Dragonquest 10! But a very enjoyable show
    I never got into pokemans gaming, I liked watching the earlier TV series though, haha Team Rocket yeah!

I will buy at least Alpha Sapphire because Blair needs to return home after an 11.5 year journey through every single Pokemon game since. Whether or not I end up with both again depends on my ability to get the second one at an inexpensive price (I paid $30.66 and a game I was done with for X and Y).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I'm one of the biggest DQ fans around, but I think it would be a big mistake if they did bring DQX here. DQ just doesn't sell well enough to try to support an MMO in the west. It already feels like DQ has been abandoned here like the mid 90s, and if they bring DQX here and it doesn't do well, it'll probably be the final nail in the coffin. I'd rather they bring the 4 3DS games and plan to bring DQXI here instead.

As for Pokemon, I'll be "that guy". I have no plans on getting it. I've never played any Pokemon games. When that series started, it seemed to be targeted at a younger crowd than me, and its hard to shake the "its a kid's game" thing. That, and I tend to be rather OCD about my games and I could do without having video games intended to exploit OCD behavior. As for the questions at the end of the podcast, I'd rather they had less frequent releases only because I don't really feel like listening to pokemon talk. I'd rather listen to boring MMO talk.
    Last edited by smacd; 05-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Regarding the question of the week, Chris is absolutely right. The answer doesn't matter. Nintendo and Game Freak are going to go for the quick money. It's sad too, because I'd prefer if they slowed it down. If Pokemon gets annualized, as is entirely possible, I know at least I'm going to bet burned on it again.

So when do we get the Pokemon Snap remake?

As to the Vita not ever getting physical copies, it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. People don't expect Vita to sell, so not many games are put on cards, so there's not many games on cards, and not many people buy Vitas because it doesn't look to have games, and so developers and publishers see the sales of Vita, and the ones who don't bail make their games smaller downloadable titles, and so the Vita continues to flounder, and then it gets pushed into a tiny corner of stores to be forgotten to anyone outside of the digital-only cult.

That's the GameStop display for the Vita. New games on the top shelf, a mix of new and used on the second, used on the next two, and accessories. And going to a Wal-Mart or Toys R Us, the displays are even sadder. The Vita, much as I hate to admit it as an launch-day adopter, is a failed console. More physical releases may not save the system, but you can't deny that it would at least make the Vita display a bit less pathetic.

Regarding a new Nintendo console... NO. Just no. What people seem to miss is that, if Nintendo releases another console this soon, they're going to piss off the people who bought a Wii U, but more importantly, they'll be seen as untrustworthy. This is the problem that Sega had. The Sega CD, dropped prematurely. The 32X? Dropped after ~40 games. The Saturn? Abandoned early, with the infamous phrase "The Saturn is not our future" by Bernard Stolar, then-CEO. In dropping struggling hardware at the drop of a hat, Sega developed a bad reputation, and by the time the Dreamcast came out, it was too late. Outside the most psychotic of fanboys, the majority of the market didn't give a damn about Sega anymore. Thus, the Dreamcast failed after a decent launch, as people waited for the PS2, which was seen by most as a sure bet.

The Wii U is a failure, make no mistake. They'll likely have a fraction of their competitors' hardware sales five years from now. HOWEVER, unless Nintendo wants to go down the path that ruined Sega, they need to support that damned system for at least another four years. the people who bought the Wii U deserve at the very least a 5-year cycle, and to pull out early while the Xbox One and PS4 enjoy long, fruitful lives will be a far worse blow to the brand than keeping the Wii U.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 05-16-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Dragon Quest 10 showed up on a Square Enix financial slide show? That means there's a chance that Nintendo is developing new hardware for a home console!
    ... I'm sure that must be what they're waiting for.

I don't think the alternate choice for Pokémon games would be: new games - gap year - new games - gap year - etc.
    They would just go back to: new games - third wheel - new games - third wheel - etc.

In which case I would prefer the updated remakes.
    Although I can imagine people might mistakenly think that better development would happen each time, if there was nothing in between the new games.

I know you're kidding, but how does DQX equate /new/ hardware? It's a Wii and WiiU game.

Ah, maybe it was a bit too subtle.

Joke spoilers (as explaining a joke always spoils it):
    The podcast was saying how people were taking everything Nintendo said as proof of a new home console.
    And then the same thing happens for proof of a DQX release. So I just stuck the two together.

(Plus Nintendo always starts development for new hardware straight away, so it was a silly conclusion in the first place!)

Sorry, it did fly over my head. But your explanation makes perfect sense! XD