Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 117 - The Shadow Knows

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 117 - The Shadow Knows

Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu, and Akira Toriyama got together again to inaugurate Mistwalker as a studio. The results were unfortunately not up to the standard set when they first collaborated, but nevertheless spawned a series.
    Poo snakes? Really?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

I don't know if it was because I was listening at work with one earbud in, but Anna's part of the introduction scared the hell out of me.

I haven't played the game itself, but I remember watching my roommate play it a couple of years ago - and I did find it amusing that the game tracked how many times you found "Nothing" in the overworld and rewarded you for it. But the characters were just this side of physically painful to deal with.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Rofl. She threw herself into that role a little too easily.

I agree the story of Blue Dragon was totally forgettable but what forever is burned in my brain from this game is that fantastic boss battle song. I even found myself purposely prolonging them sometimes for it. With that being said I found this youtube video a while back that makes fun of the lyrics with images and text. It's a pretty good laugh. Here's a link for those who wanna check it out. Eternity: The Misheard Lyrics: http://youtu.be/Y5eW9g5sOZY

Shu had one tiny, blink-and-you-miss-it shred of character development in the Blue Dragon 360 RPG. He starts out being too proud to run away (the player literally cannot make him run from battle), and eventually his attitude changes. Everything else about the characters remains static. There's even a Shu/Jiro/Kluke love triangle, not mentioned in the podcast because I guess everyone forgot about it, and it never goes anywhere.

One of the best cutscenes in the game was only shown if the player failed a timed sequence. You'd have to read a FAQ to learn this, since the game led you believe that running out of time was a Game Over.

I was mildly surprised that, in a podcast devoted to spoiling everything, no one mentioned the two Big Plot Twists near the end of the game - one about a party member, and one about the villain. I guess everyone forgot about those too. Both of them were fairly obvious anyway.

The game had some odd achievements. Certain ones required near-perfection on story-related minigames, so of course the logical way to earn them was to save right before a certain story point, then reload the story scene/minigame, and repeat until you got it. Yeah. Others required maxing all shadows out at 99, which as the FAQ warns, "Will make the game easier than you can ever imagine." There were two 0-point achievements for getting ambushed 50 times or something similar.

I bought the DLC for this game, which consists of a dungeon meant to be repeatedly completed for kicks. Then I never used the DLC. Oh, well.

I have a question for whoever's playing Rainbow Moon (JCServant, I think?) Do the microtransactions bother you at all? I've been reluctant to get that game because a GameFAQs review blasted it for requiring either microtransactions or near-endless grinding to make endgame progress.

I really hate games designed to force the player to cough up exorbitant amounts of money just to beat the game (see: Final Fantasy All the Bravest) or even access all of the game (see: Tekken x Street Fighter) and I fear that buying Rainbow Moon would be financially supporting a disturbing trend.

So, where does Rainbow Moon fall on the sliding scale, with Bravely Default (where you really don't have to ever buy SP drinks) on one end, and the F2P Dungeon Keeper (check... any review of it on the Internet to learn more) on the other?

I started listening to your excellent show recently, and it's been a fantastic way to kill time. I never played Blue Dragon, and while it made me curious... can't say it made me curious enough to track down a copy, despite having a 360. Your previous show made me wanna grab a Vita and get the Arland series, though.

I did listen to the Heroes of Mana rant, though, and that made my boss look at me in confusion while I tried to not laugh my head off at my cube. I wasn't too successful in that endeavor.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victar View Post
    I have a question for whoever's playing Rainbow Moon (JCServant, I think?) Do the microtransactions bother you at all? I've been reluctant to get that game because a GameFAQs review blasted it for requiring either microtransactions or near-endless grinding to make endgame progress.
    Whoa...there are microtransactions in Rainbow Moon? Get out. *Rushes to Google it....*

Crud! Learn something new everyday!!

Well, I guess I'll find out. Eventually. I can't see myself playing this game TOO often. But, I'm with you...definitely a strike against it if it pushes me there. So, it looks like you can pay real money for pearls and whatnot...which you earn normally through grinding in the game. Normally, I grind a bit through any RPG...taking *every* opportunity to kick monster behind and level up. We'll see if, later on, I end up feeling like I had to pay or spend an extra 30 hours grinding :P In his review, Alex doesn't really mention it, so I presume that means he didn't feel the need to buy pearls, though I could be wrong. Based on what I've read thus far...if Bravely Default is a 1, and Dungeon Keeper is a 10, I'd say its a 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Texside View Post
    I started listening to your excellent show recently, and it's been a fantastic way to kill time. I never played Blue Dragon, and while it made me curious... can't say it made me curious enough to track down a copy, despite having a 360. Your previous show made me wanna grab a Vita and get the Arland series, though.

I did listen to the Heroes of Mana rant, though, and that made my boss look at me in confusion while I tried to not laugh my head off at my cube. I wasn't too successful in that endeavor.
    Wow! Thanks for the feedback, Tex! I'll make sure we read this on the show!!

while it made me curious... can't say it made me curious enough to track down a copy, despite having a 360. Your previous show made me wanna grab a Vita and get the Arland series, though.
    I consider this a job well done.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Whoa...there are microtransactions in Rainbow Moon? Get out. *Rushes to Google it....*

Crud! Learn something new everyday!!

Well, I guess I'll find out. Eventually. I can't see myself playing this game TOO often. But, I'm with you...definitely a strike against it if it pushes me there. So, it looks like you can pay real money for pearls and whatnot...which you earn normally through grinding in the game. Normally, I grind a bit through any RPG...taking *every* opportunity to kick monster behind and level up. We'll see if, later on, I end up feeling like I had to pay or spend an extra 30 hours grinding :P In his review, Alex doesn't really mention it, so I presume that means he didn't feel the need to buy pearls, though I could be wrong. Based on what I've read thus far...if Bravely Default is a 1, and Dungeon Keeper is a 10, I'd say its a 2 or 3.
    Been a while so my memory may be fuzzy, but I don't really them being at all obtrusive in the game and I never felt any need to really look at them. Possibly the only case I was tempted was with the standard final boss difficulty jump, but a relatively small bit of grinding dealt with that without any need for the micotransactions. They're probably more useful in post-game stuff.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the feedback, Tex! I'll make sure we read this on the show!!
    Why, thank you! Next time JuMeSyn does an extended boxing analogy, you should consider working in the Rocky theme as background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I consider this a job well done.
    It most certainly was! It's on the list. I suggested it to my wallet but my wallet kinda looked at me with a disappointed yet knowing look and shook its head. I'm gonna have to work on the poor little guy some.

I remember playing Blue Dragon a year or so after its release, when the "Ultra Hard Mode" free DLC was out. I played through it on that setting, and it really makes you use every facet of the battle system and character abilities, to the point where I think it salvaged the game for me (without the challenge, the painfully dull story would have done it in for me).

On a side note, I've listened to several RPG Backtracks over the past few months, and I really enjoyed the Breath of Fire (I adore Dragon Quarter and how ballsy it was in terms of mechanics) and Star Ocean episodes, among others. It's nice to hear reasoned views that aren't too heavily influenced by nostalgia! Phil and Mike have an entertaining chemistry as hosts and play off each other well, keep up the good work.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar

Pick it up! It's really cheap and the battle system and dungeons are great fun. Just, you know prepare yourself for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darm View Post
    I remember playing Blue Dragon a year or so after its release, when the "Ultra Hard Mode" free DLC was out. I played through it on that setting, and it really makes you use every facet of the battle system and character abilities, to the point where I think it salvaged the game for me (without the challenge, the painfully dull story would have done it in for me).
    Very true. I really wish more RPGs had a difficulty selection. I've seen too many good battle systems wasted because the game was way too easy.