Thread: RPGCast - Episode 306: "Two Cats No Paws"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 306: "Two Cats No Paws"

RPGCast - Episode 306: "Two Cats No Paws"

Phil, Cassandra, and Chris spend a Saturday pondering Disgaea ports, Sony sales, and large Dragon Age collector's editions. But the real question is, "Who names their company Fruitbat Factory?"

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/306

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

A $170 limited edition will probably end up as $199 in Canada knowing my luck, so I could buy a bunch of crap I'm never going to use... or I could buy a second Vita. This is an easy call.

Games I want to see on the Backtrack (for the psuedo-QOTW): There's two games I'm interested in and have access to, but I'm not sure if they're worth it today: Lost Odyssey and the Persona 2 duology.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    A $170 limited edition will probably end up as $199 in Canada knowing my luck, so I could buy a bunch of crap I'm never going to use... or I could buy a second Vita. This is an easy call.

Games I want to see on the Backtrack (for the psuedo-QOTW): There's two games I'm interested in and have access to, but I'm not sure if they're worth it today: Lost Odyssey and the Persona 2 duology.
    Persona 2 is actually scheduled to happen (my goal this summer is to beat Innocent Sin, which I'm starting after my trip, and may be finally finish my playthrough of Eternal Punishment). Lost Odyssey is a game I am dying to finish because everyone says how wonderful it is.

But yes, I'm sure Jumes and Phil will see this comment and know he has done well.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Can you get all the cards in Magic: The Gathering 2014 by just playing the game? If I have to buy the cards like in real life, that will drive me crazy. I want all the cards for one price.

Phil is a total charmer. That guy is so fun, bad pronunciation and all.

I would have liked to hear more from Strawberry Eggs. She was exceptionally quiet.

Nice show.

Talk I'd like to hear on the backtrack: Catherine, Nin No Kuni, Eternal Sonata, the Souls series, Tales of Xillia. There are a bunch of fun ideas for you.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Yeah, I know. This is why I'm rarely on the regular RPGCast. I don't always have a lot to say, especially without a focus on something I feel strongly about, like on Backtrack podcasts of games I really enjoy.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

My bad about getting the name wrong Brandon Sander's amazing Stormlight Archive Words of Radiance.
    What am I going to be playing? I'm going to finish, superfun Atelier Totori, and I've gone back to grinding Path of Exiles as I wait for my copy of FF14 A Realm Reborn. Because my MMORPG burnout is gone, inspired by Log Horizon anime, and the recommendations I'm going to bravely take on the immersive time draining activity that will take over my life T_T again.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    Can you get all the cards in Magic: The Gathering 2014 by just playing the game? If I have to buy the cards like in real life, that will drive me crazy. I want all the cards for one price.
    Yeah...as far as I can figure, you can unlock all of the cards available in the game. It just take a while. For a microtransaction or ten, you can unlock them a lot faster. Yeah...I'm not doing that either. I'm "patient." Magic Online, on the other hand, you have to buy cards in the marketplace or whatnot. It ends up being just as expensive as the real card game. For "patient" people like me, that's not really something I want to do. So, I prefer the annual Magic games they release on iOS and steam. They also have a stronger single player component, which I also prefer, as well.

Phil is a total charmer. That guy is so fun, bad pronunciation and all.
    Awwww...yer gonna make me blush!

Talk I'd like to hear on the backtrack: Catherine, Nin No Kuni, Eternal Sonata, the Souls series, Tales of Xillia. There are a bunch of fun ideas for you.
    I do love myself some Catherine and Nin No Kuni. Mike will have to add them to the schedule!
    Last edited by jcservant; 05-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.

I must be on the Catherine backtrack when that happens. Mostly because I want an excuse to replay that game.

I definitely want to listen to the Catherine Backtrack. Catherine isn't an RPG, it's a puzzle game with a law/chaos morality axis, but IIRC it's set in the same universe as some of Atlus' other RPGs. I half-expect Persona fighting games to be discussed at some point, too.

I'm going to suggest A Witch's Tale. This is an RPG I learned about solely through the review on the RPGamer website. I never heard anything about it when it was released (poor marketing?), and whenever I glanced at it while doing an Amazon search for "DS RPG", I thought it was an action game. It's only because of you good folks that I discovered this game, and I had a tremendous amount of fun with it despite its notable flaws. Its most challenging aspect was its puzzles.

(Seriously, Amazon's description made me think A Witch's Tale was a stylus-swiping action game. It was the RPGamer review that informed me it's a standard, turn-based RPG, just controlled entirely via the stylus).

I think a Backtrack about some of those Bravely Default precursor games (FF3 DS and Four Heroes of Light) might be fun and topical! I... can't remember if they're on the Backtracks already done, though, so I freely admit this might be one of those ideas made with little forethought or research involved!

Also, I will humbly submit a way to improve soccer besides two balls on the field, as suggested in the show:

Step 1: Make the field ice instead of grass.
    Step 2: Add sticks.
    Step 3: Put wicked sweet blades on everyone's feet.
    Step 4: Make fistfighting a strategy, rather than a red card offense (but not in Europe, the collegiate level, or Olympics).
    Step 5: Replace the ball with a small thick disc made of galvanized rubber, perhaps labelled a puck.

I like this one, can we keep em please? I promise to pet them every day!

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Sigh. Fine...fine, Paws. But, really, this IS the last one. You've got so many already!

As far as doing a show just on Catherine...it's not covered by our site, I believe...which means it wouldn't be eligible. HOWEVER... seeing that you, the listener, demands it, we might have to appeal to higher powers. If that doesn't work out, do expect me to bring this up and discuss the game to a limited extent in our kitchen sink segment, The Final Lap.
    Last edited by jcservant; 05-19-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Maybe the Backtrack could do an Atlus grab bag? They've done a few non-RPGs that our staff could probably talk knowledgeably about.

Don't forget my Scooby Snacks!

I second an Atlus grab bag, that sounds awesome.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I dunno, for a true quality Atlus grab bag show we should wait until we can discuss the Persona dancing game.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Catherine could always be discussed on one of the Persona episodes.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "