Thread: Final Fantasy III Arriving on Steam

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Final Fantasy III Arriving on Steam

Final Fantasy III is adding another notch in its belt as the game is due to arrive on Steam very soon. How soon? Well, Square Enix is keeping its lips sealed.

News

I'm not sure if I want this or not. I traded in my DS copy ages ago since I got stuck on the final dungeon and didn't feel like grinding to get through it iirc.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I hope that rumor I've been hearing of an option that adds save points in the dungeons is true, the game seriously needed that, at least for the final dungeon.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

In the IOS version you can quicksave anywhere, and it's a "permanent" save (it doesn't delete when you select it but it supposedly does when you start from a save file). They also modified Mognet so that you can access all the secret content without having to communicate with real people.
    PSN: TLDragoon

Oh my god that sounds delightful Rewind. That was another reason why I had problems with FF3 DS, I couldn't get anything without using real people.
    User Database Check

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I wonder if this will confuse people. In this forum, Final Fantasy III can only mean one game, but for the masses who stopped playing JRPGs sometime between FF8 and FF10, "Final Fantasy III" is a SNES game with a great villain. Just last week I was trying to convince my brother to try Child of Light, and he mentioned that Final Fantasy III was the last JRPG he enjoyed... and he meant the SNES game, of course.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    I wonder if this will confuse people. In this forum, Final Fantasy III can only mean one game, but for the masses who stopped playing JRPGs sometime between FF8 and FF10, "Final Fantasy III" is a SNES game with a great villain. Just last week I was trying to convince my brother to try Child of Light, and he mentioned that Final Fantasy III was the last JRPG he enjoyed... and he meant the SNES game, of course.
    I am still being stubborn and waiting for a graphically enhanced remake of that Final Fantasy III before I finally play it. I really don't understand why I-IV keep getting that treatment but poor V-VI don't. And no, I don't count the vomit-inducing visuals they put into the recent mobile version.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Maybe for the "masses" from the USA and Canada. FFVII was the first FF that was released in the PAL regions so there won't be any confusion there.

I wonder how FFIII's Job system compares to FFV. If that verdict is favourable I might indulge myself when it hits Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Lassic View Post
    I wonder how FFIII's Job system compares to FFV. If that verdict is favourable I might indulge myself when it hits Steam
    Unfortunately, since it's the starting Job System there's a lot of MEH going on with it. While you can switch to jobs anywhere outside of battle, your stats are linked completely with the job, and each one can level to 99. Whenever you switch from a level 30 job to a level 1 job, your stats take an exponential nosedive. You also cannot cross-class any skills, so you're stuck with whatever jobs you choose. It's a really spotty job system, and while I'm thankful for it being the founder of what eventually led to FF5's job system, I cannot forgive it for what it is, a system that discourages trying out new ones.
    User Database Check

but for the masses who stopped playing JRPGs sometime between FF8 and FF10, "Final Fantasy III" is a SNES game with a great villain.
    Oh, Uncle Ulty.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Unfortunately, since it's the starting Job System there's a lot of MEH going on with it. While you can switch to jobs anywhere outside of battle, your stats are linked completely with the job, and each one can level to 99. Whenever you switch from a level 30 job to a level 1 job, your stats take an exponential nosedive. You also cannot cross-class any skills, so you're stuck with whatever jobs you choose. It's a really spotty job system, and while I'm thankful for it being the founder of what eventually led to FF5's job system, I cannot forgive it for what it is, a system that discourages trying out new ones.
    Well a lot of those problems are just from the changes in the remakes, at least that's how I understand it (as I haven't tried them myself).

The original version of FF3 does seem like it's halfway between FF1 and FF5.
    The jobs were too much different from FF1 jobs, except with some new job skills. But now you can change your party mid-game and because of that, some areas favoured certain jobs over others.
    Also instead of FF1's single Class Change, the later jobs were just better as you progressed.

The remakes tried to balance all the jobs classes (so there is barely any progression) and swapped out the plentiful Capacity Points (needed to change jobs) for a severe, but temporary, stat decrease (forcing in excess grinding).

Admittedly I do want to try one of the remakes to see if is really as bad as they say. But then I also have a back log of other games I'd rather be playing, so I'm sure it can wait. (And I'd obviously rather have a enhanced port of the original.)

New York (State, or City also? NO ONE KNOWS)
    Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    The remakes...swapped out the plentiful Capacity Points (needed to change jobs) for a severe, but temporary, stat decrease (forcing in excess grinding).
    I have the DS version, and while I was okay with Sage and Ninja getting nerfed, I really really have no idea why Square-Enix did the stat drops. The Capacity Points were one thing, but both the Capacity Points and the stat drops discourage the player from experimenting, which is the big draw of the job system, and all the stat drops did were make an already difficult and grind-heavy game more difficult and more grind-heavy.

It would be relieved somewhat if the battles weren't so drawn out. You really don't need a fade to black, then fade open with a pan of the enemy party at the start of each battle. Just fade in or cut to the overhead shot and command menu. And at the end, you don't need a fade to black, fade open with a slow zoom on the party, with everyone doing their own little dance as they level up.

I never beat it, but I am surprised that I was able to make it all the way to the World of Darkness without getting too annoyed.
    Twitters!
    Steams!
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-5875-0306
    Brave Frontier Player ID: 6146529113