Thread: RPGCast - Episode 307: "I Think I'm A Clone Now"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 307: "I Think I'm A Clone Now"

RPGCast - Episode 307: "I Think I'm A Clone Now"

"Do you want to build a Persona clone? Come on let's go license Unity. We never make JRPGs anymore. Stop building FPS games. It's like you're at EA. We used to build great epics. And now we don't. I wish you would tell me why! Do you want to build a Persona clone? It doesn't have to be a Persona clone." "I don't like dating sims, Anna." "Ok, bye."

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/307

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

I really want to make a Shining Force clone.

Also in case it wasn't mentioned, Unity can be used for free as long as your annual revenue isn't higher than $100000.

I listen to RPGCast, RPG Backtrack, and ATB. I'm still working my way through the Backtrack backlog, which will take months and months... if I ever catch up, I'll listen to the RPGCast backlog too. Maybe next year.

There have been a few Grandia clones, notably Final Fantasy X and Child of Light (according to reviews), but I'm surprised there aren't more, given how much praise its battle system garnered.

Does the answer to the Question of the Week have to be about RPGs? I wish there were Primal Rage clones (it's a fighting game). Not just because playing giant dragon-like dinosaurs is awesome, but also because it had a wonderful, easy-to-use special move system that involved keeping buttons held down while moving the joystick. Removing the requirement for perfect button timing and precision joystick rotation made special moves a snap, regardless of personal motor skill or reflexes.

Bizarrely, Primal Rage's special move system received so many complaints that an alternate move system akin to Street Fighter (move joystick, then tap buttons) was also programmed in, with a patch. So perhaps the fighting game world is doomed never to see another gem like Primal Rage again.

I want to add something to my previous post --- I think sometimes it's a shame there aren't too many clones of certain games. I often see the mentality in gamer forums that new and unique is good and everything else is bad, but I personally can't share this sentiment at all. If I like a genre / gameplay style it often ends up that I finish a game without having gotten bored of the system yet. And I kind of prefer new battle layout / strategies / story rather than replaying the same game over and over. So occasionally it happens that I really really wanted a game clone of something.

I for example complained for years that no grid-based dungeon crawlers are developed anymore. Then Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X came which both made me very happy.

Right now I'm really in a Shining Force mood (as indicated by my post above). I like the Shining Force style and I really wished there was some way to fight battles endlessly in exactly the Shining Force style. Generally there don't seem to be many SRPGs. Often there are RPGs with small-scale SRPG battles (Arc The Lad 2, Spiderweb games), but that's not exactly what I look for. I want big battles with a lot of strategy where every single battle is a challenge rather than resource preservation. I tried out turn based strategy games but they didn't work out for me (I kind of want to be attached to the characters, also the main problem in most of them is that you can produce more units which often lets maps drag on forever).
    So I really wonder - are there so few people who want another traditional SRPG like Shining Force / Fire Emblem / Vandal Hearts? Please companies, produce such clones.

Really thinking of just doing it myself... without graphics, just simulate Shining Force and make a random battle generator or something so I can play it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Victar View Post
    Does the answer to the Question of the Week have to be about RPGs?
    Nope! Primal Rage sounds quite awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I for example complained for years that no grid-based dungeon crawlers are developed anymore. Then Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X came which both made me very happy.
    You must have heard of the Etrian Odyssey series, too (DS & 3DS). You might not have heard of Unchained Blades (3DS & PSP), which is sort of Etrian Odyssey lite. I wish the sequel to Unchained Blades would come to America, but I guess it didn't sell well enough - last I checked, there's no plans to localize the sequel.

There's an Indie grid-based dungeon crawler that I especially want to recommend: Dark Delve (Xbox 360 & PC). If you do a search for "Dark Delve PC" you can find the creator's website; it's downloadable DRM-free, pay-what-you-want.

(Disclaimer: I have no personal connection to Dark Delve other than that I played it, loved it, and wrote a GameFAQs review about it.)

Rya doesn't play handhelds.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Rya doesn't play handhelds.
    And that's a shame given how happy ya (Rya) are with games like Legend of Grimrock. The handhelds are a bastion of dungeon crawler games for quite some time now.

I wanna see an Ogre Battle clone, with a deeper class system and multiplayer.

Also world peace, an end to hunger, and a pony.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I assume the reason we don't see more Tales comes is because most of them don't leave Japan. Arc Rise Fantasia could be considered an example, though that is more of a genetically altered specimen rather than a clone (it swaps out the action battle system genes for turn-based ones).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

There are plenty of handhelds games I'd love, but I just... can't. I can only enjoy games when I feel comfortable, no matter how good they are.

I actually own Dark Delve!
    There are two problems with the game:
    1. When you move there is a one-pixel wide white "flicker" between the wall-tiles (where the textures meet), even though it's really very minor, it got on my nerves after a while.
    2. The riddles are really hard to understand, I just couldn't figure them out and there are no walkthroughs for the game (or were when I played).

Other than that, yeah I enjoyed it.

(And before someone mentions it, I already have and enjoyed Wizardry for PSN.)