Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 310: "Mario Will Never Run Over A Hooker"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 310: "Mario Will Never Run Over A Hooker"

RPGCast - Episode 310: "Mario Will Never Run Over A Hooker"

Another E3 comes to pass and we try to help you digest all of what happened and what it means to RPGamers. Chris and Anna Marie give a burglary update and their gaming insurance tips. Mikel Tidwell makes a guest appearance. Then everyone tells Chris how his latest inspiration is a really dumb idea.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/310

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

"I checked it's only on at&t who cares?"

uh that's how iphone got started...

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You know, I had thought that Chris had moved past the "ew, breasts are gross!" phase after getting married, but it seems I was mistaken. I get that Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus is a dumb little Dynasty Warriors clone aimed at hormonal weaboos, but your reaction was even more immature than the game itself. Seriously, you sound as though you think women's bodies are disgusting, asopposed to simply finding the sexploitation objectionable.

Seriously, take a breath, count to ten, and try to express your oobjections without sounding like a prude.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Hmm, I think if you ask for E3 impressions for two weeks and don't get any voice mails related to it, it's just our commentary on E3 this year (all years?).

I'm really sorry about your house being broken into. We had a break-in a few years ago and it's affected how we handle vacations - always making sure friends stay at the house or check in. It's crazy to think that someone took an axe and hacked their way into our house at 3pm in the afternoon without anyone noticing, but the good news is they did manage to prove he'd sold stolen goods. He spent three months in jail and is out again and (presumably) looking for a new axe. I don't know if I feel better or worse getting a letter from the police saying "Hey, we caught crazy-axe-guy two months ago, we're just letting you know he'll be out next month."

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    You know, I had thought that Chris had moved past the "ew, breasts are gross!" phase after getting married, but it seems I was mistaken. I get that Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus is a dumb little Dynasty Warriors clone aimed at hormonal weaboos, but your reaction was even more immature than the game itself. Seriously, you sound as though you think women's bodies are disgusting, asopposed to simply finding the sexploitation objectionable.

Seriously, take a breath, count to ten, and try to express your oobjections without sounding like a prude.
    seriously, just because he doesn't like games like that doesn't make him a prude.

i wouldn't like a game like that. does that make me a prude? it sounds like you are the maker of the game and are utterly offended that someone doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    seriously, just because he doesn't like games like that doesn't make him a prude.

i wouldn't like a game like that. does that make me a prude? it sounds like you are the maker of the game and are utterly offended that someone doesn't like it.
    You misunderstand me.

It's fine to dislike something. I dislike a great many things. It's just Chris tends to have this grossly exaggerated level of offense whenever games have any sort of sexually provocative content, as though anyone who would like it is this horrible deviant, and it makes it hard to take seriously. He could stand at times to take a step back and express himself in a manner that doesn't lend itself so well to misinterpretation, because when he goes off on anti-boob rants, the message I tend to interpret from him isn't "I don't like this," but rather "this shouldn't be allowed to exist," and that's a problem that only serves to detract from serious discussion. It's kinda like how the frothing anti-blood crusaders of the 1990s and 2000s have effectively stunted serious discussion about the necessity of the gratuitous, increasingly fetishistic violence in many video games.

Don't even get me started on how the Anita Sarkeesians of the world have only served to create a brick wall of reactionary rage at the mere topic of sexism.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 06-23-2014 at 04:50 PM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Well, I'm glad Chris and Anna can find some humour and some small cheer from a distressing burglury. To be honest I don't tend to replay games, I have abunch on steam, and my present games are FF14, Path of Exiles, both of which can't really be stolen. I would be royally pissed if they stole our PC towers though.
    The boobs issue, it will never go away. I can honestly say that I know of two male friends who shall not be named, who have bought dissapointing DVD's based on the titillating material on the cover, knowing full well they're going to be dissapointed, and no, they're over 35 *cough*. However, I did enjoy Dragon's Crown, I picked it up after getting a solid review on it, and there is a nice solid game underneath and recaptured some of the nostalgia of the arcade days.
    Nice to hear Mike's wry wit again.
    In fact, a great show with lots of peeps for once, no I didn't expect the British Invasion.^^

If you think Chris is bad, you'll LOVE this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    If you think Chris is bad, you'll LOVE this guy.
    Yeah, that makes Chris look restrained in comparison, and Haatsu has EVERY RIGHT to be angry. Compare this to the Polygon review of Dragon's Crown, which Atlus went out of its way to defend, and you have a perfect contrast between the right and wrong way to express displeasure at overt sexualization.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I'm listening to #309 and #310 together. I'll post my thoughts for both here. I'll edit this post and add to my thoughts as I listen through.

#309: Chris, I'm callin' you out. Seriously... you should be ashamed of yourself! I plug RPGCast on 98% of the RPG Backtrack podcasts that we do, yet you can barely remember who we are. You can't even get the name of our hosts correct! That's just... evil! As far as length of our podcast, you're welcome to poke fun of it, but don't exaggerate stuff where it doesn't make sense. Our intros rarely pass the 10 minute mark (I challenge you to find the last show that did). Then we dive RIGHT into talking about the retro games in our main event segment. We waste no time. On the average backtrack, we spend 2 hours talking about the retro games in our Main Event (which is exactly where our last show, Diablo, fell). Only after we do ALL of that do Mike and I spend a while chatting on the Final Lap. If your going to criticize anything, that's the place to focus on. Make fun of that all day :P But, I'll remind you and everyone else, you can stop the playback early if our banter doesn't live up to your expectations...unlike all that silly Final Fantasy XI talk y'all did back in the day. (and yes, I'm half joking, half serious, just like Chris is when talking about us).

Witcher 3: I agree with Manny. Some people preorder and/or pay full price for Witcher games to support CD Projekt. I'm one of them :P I love the fact they do things DRM free. Its a philosophy we, as gamers, should support. They are one of the few developers I still buy stuff new/full price from. In most instances, I agree with Chris. Wait a month or two, and buy the game at half price or less.

Witcher Board Game: 1-2 hours IS short for any RPG type of board game. A "Short" one is usually 3 hours. Longer games, like Descent, can go 8-40 hours.

Fable Anniversary: Mark me down as a "Don't Care"

#310: Wow...I am sooooo sorry about your loss. Wow. That's just crazy!

It's funny listening to the two podcasts in a row. In one, Manny explains what the Witcher Adventures are. In the very next one, Chris has forgotten completely what it is. HAhahahah! I blame E3 and the break in though. I'd forget my middle name if I went through all of that.

I'm still listening through this *massive* 2.4 hour beast (and you say RPGBacktrack is long!). I'll post more later if something else catches my ear.

I'll add more about #310 if I hear more.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Podcast rivalry!

LOLz. "Can't we all just get along?" hahahahaah.

Again, though..so sorry about your break in. I can't imagine how frustrating that is to lose all your stuff like that!

Oh, jeez, I'm so sorry about the break-in. I'm glad your insurance has been on top of it and friends were there to help. I always fear a break-in when I'm out of town.

Regarding the question of the week: I don't think the JRPG is dead. I think we'll keep seeing them come out, but I expect it will be on handhelds again and that digital releases will get far more common. It may very well change -- I don't have enough time to really play with this, but I think the overlap and cross-pollination with western and Japanese RPGs is rising. We're seeing western companies making JRPGs, and we've seen Squeenix working on Deus Ex and such.

So maybe the JRPG is dying (and the western RPG, too, a by this logic), because the world is a smaller place and ideas are being shared more, and they're not going to look the same. I'm not sure. But it's a nice theory.

Yeah, on RPG Backtrack there's this one guy who is pathologically compelled to atrociously atrophy every guest name he speaks in the most deviantly disastrous, tongue-twistingly terrible, and cruelly creative manner possible. *suspicious shudder*

Question of the Week: JRPGs (defined here as "turn-based RPGs in the aesthetic style of JRPGs, regardless of their country of origin") are not dead and will never completely die. The AAA big budget, traditional console JRPG is almost gone, but JRPGs thrive as indie games, cell phone games, 3DS/Vita games, and games made by your neighbor with RPGMaker.

I'd also like to point out that the point-and-click adventure genre has been declared dead over and over, especially in video game books/articles/media, ever since the 1990s when they faded from the limelight. Does that mean new ones don't exist anymore? No, Telltale Games has made more of them than I've been able to play (backlog ahoy), let alone the slew of indie gamers who created memorable point-and-click adventures. (I'll give a shout-out here to Without Escape, an indie point-and-click that is more chilling than any number of big name horror games).

Nintendo's DS/3DS handheld has also featured several, such as Trace Memory and Touch Detective 1 and 2. The Professor Layton series and the Phoenix Wright series are essentially point-and-click adventures enriched with puzzles everywhere (Layton) and courtroom simulation elements (Phoenix).

P.S. I'm not calling your phone number because it's not toll-free and I just spent $50 pre-ordering Persona Q. Why is this game $50? I understand why the fancy collector's edition is $80, but this is just a "standard edition" 3DS cart... is there some justification here or is Atlus gouging me?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Witcher 3: I agree with Manny. Some people preorder and/or pay full price for Witcher games to support CD Projekt. I'm one of them :P
    I like that you get a discount if you own Witcher 1 and 2. That's a ground-breaking idea to encourage loyalty. I entered the CD key from my old physical copy of Witcher 1, and now I have a digital version on GOG and get a few bucks off a Witcher 3 pre-order. If more companies did this -- especially giving permanent digital copies of physical purchases -- I'd be much more willing to buy games before they're on sale. Oddly, this is close to what the XBox One was going to do before the internet exploded, so I might be in the smallest minority here. Battlenet also lets you register old physical copies of Blizzard games, but never uses it for loyalty or discounts. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Even with the discount, though, it's definitely a situation where only those who want to support CD Projekt should pre-order it, and I don't think they're trying to trick anyone in that regard. The Witcher 2 was discounted on GOG quickly after its release, and seems like it was under $10 on GOG sales in less than a year.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Quote Originally Posted by Victar View Post
    P.S. I'm not calling your phone number because it's not toll-free and I just spent $50 pre-ordering Persona Q. Why is this game $50? I understand why the fancy collector's edition is $80, but this is just a "standard edition" 3DS cart... is there some justification here or is Atlus gouging me?
    Because enough people paid $50 for SMTIV, I suppose.

Yeah, on RPG Backtrack there's this one guy who is pathologically compelled to atrociously atrophy every guest name he speaks in the most deviantly disastrous, tongue-twistingly terrible, and cruelly creative manner possible. *suspicious shudder*
    ROFL!! This made me laugh!! I haven't been doing it as much lately, as my creativity has run a bit dry...but every once in a while, I still find one!

I'd also like to point out that the point-and-click adventure genre has been declared dead over and over, especially in video game books/articles/media, ever since the 1990s when they faded from the limelight. Does that mean new ones don't exist anymore? No, Telltale Games has made more of them than I've been able to play (backlog ahoy), let alone the slew of indie gamers who created memorable point-and-click adventures. (I'll give a shout-out here to Without Escape, an indie point-and-click that is more chilling than any number of big name horror games).

Nintendo's DS/3DS handheld has also featured several, such as Trace Memory and Touch Detective 1 and 2. The Professor Layton series and the Phoenix Wright series are essentially point-and-click adventures enriched with puzzles everywhere (Layton) and courtroom simulation elements (Phoenix).
    That's a very good point, and I would say the same thing. For the most part, these things are cyclical. Even when on a slower part of that curve, indy studios do a great job picking up the slack. Projects like Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2 is helping to keep my brand of WRPG Turn based games (which have been nearly dead at times) completely alive.

ROFL! They made you pay the full $50 ahead of time to pre-order? Dang! Most places don't charge until release, so you can save. I'd also point out that Skype offers the ability to call land lines/cell phones for only $3/month. Google will give you a phone number you can call from your computer(s)/tablets for free...but I believe the catch is that it has to be tied into a phone number somewhere...or something like that. I actually find it very useful for texting from my office.

I'll have some thoughts for and against P-Q being 50 on the podcast, because we also pre-ordered it.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Why is this game $50? I understand why the fancy collector's edition is $80, but this is just a "standard edition" 3DS cart... is there some justification here or is Atlus gouging me?
    "Is Atlus gouging me?" is the kind of question that drives Wheels mad near the level of "Square Enix tax". (on a lighter note they're owned by Sega now so isn't this a good spot for more fun Sega bashing?)

For the record remember that Atlus has frequent digital sales if the extra $10 is a massive deterrent. For me I never understood why we devalued portable games to begin with.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    ROFL!! This made me laugh!! I haven't been doing it as much lately, as my creativity has run a bit dry...but every once in a while, I still find one!
    I've noticed that a number of your "botched names" are food-based. Sam is "Marshmellow," Becky is "Cunningturkey," John is "Stringbean," and I'm "Ramen Noodles". :P

As for the question, the JRPG and JRPG-inpsired sub-genre of games have apparently been "dying" since the end of the PS2 era. They've largely shifted away from consoles and to handhelds, though in recent years we've seen a downturn for handhelds and increase on mobile devices. There is still enough on the 3DS and Vita games to keep me interested (well, mainly 3DS games), at least, though that may be because I play games at a snail's pace. There are also several indie JRPG-inspired games. Even if we'll rarely see big budget JRPGs on consoles, that manner of game (which I'm defining very loosely) will never die out.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "