Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 120 - You Could Wake Up Dead Tomorrow

  1. #1
    Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Close to Trees
    Posts
    3,824

    RPG Backtrack: Episode 120 - You Could Wake Up Dead Tomorrow

    Blizzard once had an idea to send players through the realms of the afterlife, beating up the locals and grabbing whatever desirable things they happened to drop. The setting may change, but this mechanic has proved enduring through the years, making its origination even more fascinating to remember.
    Rogues had lots of fun once upon a time.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

  2. #2
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,892
    Rogues had lots of fun until their friends caught on that they were schlorping up all the loot.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

  3. #3
    Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,233
    ROFL. "Hey...this game isn't very fun Becky. I keep killing stuff over and over, but I never get any good loot! I thought I saw something drop once, but it just disappeared!"

  4. #4
    Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,352
    The negative Rogue stereotype (my first character in WoW) was ultimately what killed the game for me, honestly. Those of you who played FF14 with me may already know this story, but once upon a time I was a Rogue in vanilla WoW, one of the lower number of level 60s on the sever able to do high level content at the time, and people claimed I was a loot thief all because of this one fellow and the general hatred people seemed to have toward Rogues. For the person in question, I was overcharging him for a cloth resource because no one else on the server was farming it, and I guess the guy really didn't take too kindly to this. One day this guy's friend was in a run of Upper Blackrock Spire (I think), and he was a hunter who rolled, along with myself, on a leather helm. The hunter actually asked me why I rolled, and said that I was a greedy ***** and quit the group immediately. I suspect that the hunter and the cloth fellow began spreading rumors about what a terrible person I was, because I found out from a fellow guild member later that they knew each other in person. The next week I heard rumors cropping up from people I had never even played with that I was a loot ninja and stole items from them. My guild eventually merged together with the other biggest guild, but part of the agreement of the merger was that I was not allowed to join. As a result I literally wasn't allowed to play with any of the friends online I made raiding, and I promptly quit thereafter.

    Yeah, WoW definitely perpetuated the worst online interactions I've had with anybody, ever.

    Edit: And it seems like this about Diablo? Boy do I feel silly right now haha. Carry on friends, carry on.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 06-23-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    229
    What is even more unfair, is that they're known as ninjas now, totally messing up the meaning . But seriously,there are many types of annoying people in social gaming, but nice ones too(FF14 woohoo). JuMeSyn's description of Diablo sounds like grand theft auto in hades lol.
    It sounded a bit dry,when you try and explain why it's fun, but I'm a big fan of the 3rd person (powergaming?) looter genre.
    The trade off between making such games online and offline is one of the biggest questions about the genre. Ultimately I'm still in favour of offline, as client/server, lag disconnection issues takes control away from the gameplay of players and can be immensely frustrating, forget Hardcore.It'snot that comapnies can't make the game offline, but that they get too many benefits like piracy prevention and possible development of a community based player base and hence further monetarisation. Basically making money. I can't blame them for making such a step but unless they give me more incentive to compensate for their imho selfish designs, I will always prefer an alternative.This is part of an evolving struggle between game companies and players about control of the games, as a gamer, I'm finding that I'm not sure own my copy of the game,-that I can play it whenever I want to, whether I can loan it to a friend, well yu get the idea.
    Loved the mentions of Eye of the Beholder and stuff.I'm presently 2:48 minutes into the show haha and crafting away in FF14 while listening

  6. #6
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,892
    I will note that my experiment "role-playing" as the rogue in Diablo was just a joke I was playing on good friends of mine who also did PnP gaming with me. I do not advocate acting like a jerk in online games. :-p

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

  7. #7
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Loved the mentions of Eye of the Beholder and stuff.
    Good old Eye of the Beholder, that game got me into first person dungeon crawling!

  8. #8
    Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    The negative Rogue stereotype (my first character in WoW) was ultimately what killed the game for me, honestly.Edit: And it seems like this about Diablo? Boy do I feel silly right now haha. Carry on friends, carry on.
    Wow...what a story! I'll definitely share this on the show. As someone who generally likes MMOs, but has had a few bad experiences, I think its great to share these stories. I'm sorry yours ended that way... it was certainly a horrible and traumatic experience!

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    What is even more unfair, is that they're known as ninjas now, totally messing up the meaning . But seriously,there are many types of annoying people in social gaming, but nice ones too(FF14 woohoo). JuMeSyn's description of Diablo sounds like grand theft auto in hades lol.
    It sounded a bit dry,when you try and explain why it's fun, but I'm a big fan of the 3rd person (powergaming?) looter genre.
    The trade off between making such games online and offline is one of the biggest questions about the genre. Ultimately I'm still in favour of offline, as client/server, lag disconnection issues takes control away from the gameplay of players and can be immensely frustrating, forget Hardcore.It'snot that comapnies can't make the game offline, but that they get too many benefits like piracy prevention and possible development of a community based player base and hence further monetarisation. Basically making money. I can't blame them for making such a step but unless they give me more incentive to compensate for their imho selfish designs, I will always prefer an alternative.This is part of an evolving struggle between game companies and players about control of the games, as a gamer, I'm finding that I'm not sure own my copy of the game,-that I can play it whenever I want to, whether I can loan it to a friend, well yu get the idea.
    Loved the mentions of Eye of the Beholder and stuff.I'm presently 2:48 minutes into the show haha and crafting away in FF14 while listening


    Love the feedback! Yeah, I'm with you about the online requirements and such. In fact, the older I get, the lower my tolerance gets for it. That's why I am such a huge fan of GoG. And, yeah, if we haven't, we need to do an Eye of the Beholder backtrack. Awesome game. Deadly...but awesome.

  9. #9
    "One day this guy's friend was in a run of Upper Blackrock Spire (I think), and he was a hunter who rolled, along with myself, on a leather helm"

    Since hunters use mail armor at high levles, I'm forced to conclude that you just had the bad luck to cross paths with a leech (a stronger word is warranted here, but the only ones I can think of are "sociopath", or assorted profanity). Leeches will "suck the life out of any quest", to quote MegaTokyo. As painful as your story must have been to live through, IMO you were better off staying out of that guild.

    I appreciate the Denpa Men 3 commentary! "Whatever it takes" to beat Denpa Men 1 ultimately boiled down to "buy an equipped item that lets you run away from any battle, then run from anything you don't have an elemental advantage against", especially in later dungeons when enemies could be almost any element and you generally couldn't make your team of heroes resistant to more than 2 elements. I suspect DM3 is the same.

    I don't understand the negativity toward DM3's autobattle options. They let the player customize the team so that some members use autobattle while others follow manual instructions. The DS Dragon Quest remakes have also used the system for extreme convenience, as did Arc Rise Fantasia.

    Phil, I hope you enjoy your journey through classic Dragon Quest games. You made the right call to play the re-releases instead of the ultra-grindy NES originals. DQ1 is still a little on the grindy side, but I fondly remember DQ2 as being a leap above the tedious DQ1.

    My advice for DQ3 is: don't stress out over the class system too much, and don't try to be/do everything (that would take way too much grinding). Just decide what spells/abilities you want and go from there. With enough training, the Hero can carry almost any party, and there are people who do solo Hero DQ3 challenges.

  10. #10
    Member Texside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    129
    I remember those old Diablo LAN parties. There was something fun about it -- loading your computer into your car, back when monitors were all CRTs, towers were gigantic, and the cords were less friendly, somehow more numerous, and harder to plug in and unplug, all to go to your friend's house -- but it's also a product of its time. The mid-90's were a unique time for in person multiplayer gaming.

    I'm looking forward to next episode. I always wanted to try Arc the Lad and just never got around to it. I know there was an Arc the Lad anime that followed the second game. I remember it being confusing ("Are they talking about the White House? Is... is the President in this?") and baffled when Arc showed up but not knowing who the titular Lad was in the slightest.

  11. #11
    Member ghaleon80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pass Christian, MS
    Posts
    139
    I only had 1 play through of Diablo but spent countless hours on Diablo II. The changes implemented in II made me want to play through with every class. I played the demo to Diablo 3 and very much want to dive further in but when I do it will probably be the console version due to PC graphical limitations. Can't wait to jump into that world again soon.

  12. #12
    Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Victar View Post
    Phil, I hope you enjoy your journey through classic Dragon Quest games. You made the right call to play the re-releases instead of the ultra-grindy NES originals. DQ1 is still a little on the grindy side, but I fondly remember DQ2 as being a leap above the tedious DQ1.

    My advice for DQ3 is: don't stress out over the class system too much, and don't try to be/do everything (that would take way too much grinding). Just decide what spells/abilities you want and go from there. With enough training, the Hero can carry almost any party, and there are people who do solo Hero DQ3 challenges.
    Hey, thanks a lot for the encouragement here. I haven't got much attention/traction from my friends on this, so it was beginning to feel like a solo journey. But with listeners like you to cheer me on, I'll be much more likely to stick with it. I'm having fun with DQ2! You're right, it IS a huge leap from the first. And that's why I'm doing this...seeing these leaps first hand is just so...epic! I'll keep your DQ3 advice in mind, and no doubt you'll hear me chat more about it in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texside
    I'm looking forward to next episode. I always wanted to try Arc the Lad and just never got around to it. I know there was an Arc the Lad anime that followed the second game. I remember it being confusing ("Are they talking about the White House? Is... is the President in this?") and baffled when Arc showed up but not knowing who the titular Lad was in the slightest.

    I believe you will not be disappointed. We ran near record length (again) with this one, as Mike and Nathan went into great detail game by game (with a little cheer leading from yours truly). It's so awesome being able to discuss these RPGs (some awesome, some not-so-awesome)!

  13. #13
    Member Texside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    I believe you will not be disappointed. We ran near record length (again) with this one, as Mike and Nathan went into great detail game by game (with a little cheer leading from yours truly). It's so awesome being able to discuss these RPGs (some awesome, some not-so-awesome)!
    Hey, nice! I didn't realize y'all recorded already! Something to look forward to for the work week.

    EDIT: Oh, I'm reminded, since you're playing FF5. Did you hear about the Four Job Fiesta? It's a thing going on.

    http://fourjobfiesta.com/ if you have not!
    Last edited by Texside; 06-25-2014 at 10:08 PM.

  14. #14
    Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,233
    Yeah, actually Nathan talks about it on the podcast Very nice!

  15. #15
    MMORPGs really should do drop distribution automatically and don't even tell party members what others got. Then fights like that can be prevented.
    Also not showing name of seller in shops/auction house.

    Always should consider worst case that all humans are evil and seek revenge.
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 06-26-2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary mod comment - sorry!

  16. #16
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Texside View Post
    I remember those old Diablo LAN parties. There was something fun about it -- loading your computer into your car, back when monitors were all CRTs, towers were gigantic, and the cords were less friendly, somehow more numerous, and harder to plug in and unplug, all to go to your friend's house -- but it's also a product of its time. The mid-90's were a unique time for in person multiplayer gaming.

    I'm looking forward to next episode. I always wanted to try Arc the Lad and just never got around to it. I know there was an Arc the Lad anime that followed the second game. I remember it being confusing ("Are they talking about the White House? Is... is the President in this?") and baffled when Arc showed up but not knowing who the titular Lad was in the slightest.
    We were lucky... my multiplayer Diablo game happened when I was working summers at my school's computer lab in university. They'd let us stay and play LAN games after hours.

    I do recall one drunken night when my then-boyfriend and I attempted to connect our laptops together in order to do multiplayer Baldur's Gate II. If you thought '90s connectivity was tricky, you should try it after too many cocoas spiked with blackberry Schnapps.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •