Thread: RPGCast - Episode 311: "Ar Nopodcast"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 311: "Ar Nopodcast"

RPGCast - Episode 311: "Ar Nopodcast"

Jon, Alex, Anna, and Chris spend a quiet Saturday away from speed runs and soccer balls to bring you the latest in RPG happenings around the world. Well, in reality, we nerd out about Magic: The Gathering, iPad games, the city building genre, and poorly named JPRGs. Then we all go cheat our way through FFVIII.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/ rpgamer/311

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Answer Doesn't Matter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

It should be pointed out that Anno 2070, while not a full city-building game, is exceedingly pretty.

Also, I wonder where Mr. Garriott came up with the name for this, hm?

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

*sigh*

I listened back to my voicemail and it does seem to have got hopeless garbled with chunks of the sentences vanishing into the void. Let's see if I can summarise.

JRPGs not dead but changing and evolving. however, this does mean it seems to be moving away from what some of the (Western) fandom is interested in.
    We tend to want "More of the same but better and modern". The Japanese developers, on the other hand, are trying new things. As developers often like to do.
    TV Consoles tend to need more resources and/or dev time. Handhelds and indies, not so much.
    Many gamers tend to want to sit in front of main console.
    Development and market increasingly going towards making for portables or being made by indies.
    Genre not dead but maybe evolving away from what some of the dedicated fans would like it to be.

And... I can't for the life of me remember what I was saying was "waiting to catch up".

Neat podcast!

A word for John: I've done the remaking the Roman Empire thing in Crusader Kings II. There is a bug you should be aware of: unless you are quick with the pausing, it's easy for the Pope to always have one remaining barony slot in Rome, thus making it hard to reunify Rome. Super Pope Wars is distinctly not as fun as Super Robot Wars, so look the exact bug up and how to overcome it; I think I saw it once on the forums there.

It's well worth doing. It's a lot of fun to have the Roman Empire, and you tend to complete it just in time for some kind of ahistorical (Grecian Imperial) Rome vs. Mongols deathmatch.

Talking about Roman Empire, the politics of the conquering Imperials in FF14 bear a remarkable resemblance to....

Quote Originally Posted by Texside View Post
    Neat podcast!

A word for John: I've done the remaking the Roman Empire thing in Crusader Kings II. There is a bug you should be aware of: unless you are quick with the pausing, it's easy for the Pope to always have one remaining barony slot in Rome, thus making it hard to reunify Rome. Super Pope Wars is distinctly not as fun as Super Robot Wars, so look the exact bug up and how to overcome it; I think I saw it once on the forums there.

It's well worth doing. It's a lot of fun to have the Roman Empire, and you tend to complete it just in time for some kind of ahistorical (Grecian Imperial) Rome vs. Mongols deathmatch.
    I did notice this issue when grabbing some of the territory required down near Alexandria. The requirements to reform the Roman Empire state that the duchies have to be completely controlled, meaning all parts of the Duchy have to be vassalized directly or indirectly to the Byzantine Emperor. I prepared accordingly for Rome.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    I did notice this issue when grabbing some of the territory required down near Alexandria. The requirements to reform the Roman Empire state that the duchies have to be completely controlled, meaning all parts of the Duchy have to be vassalized directly or indirectly to the Byzantine Emperor. I prepared accordingly for Rome.
    Excellent. You should be good, then. "The Glorious" title that awaits is quite nice. And the inheritable trait!

Why do people complain about cheap pizza, it tastes like cardboard OF COARSE it tastes like cardboard!! Expensive Dominoes is pretty good though.

Pier Solar HD is coming to the Dreamcast too ... though I'm not sure how 'HD' it can get... 520p (via a vga adapter) probably or 380p on TV is all you can get if I remember correctly x|
    Last edited by knowname; 07-03-2014 at 01:20 AM.

If I wasn't so lazy as to not bake supermarket pizza, then expensive Dominos is the next best thing. The thing that gets people up in arms, is the cost of Pizza ingredients are typically "absolutely mince", miniscule, laughably small. The thing that gets people mad, is that the mark up of pizza places is at least 5-6 times, but at least Dominos is consistent, and not raw in the middle, or random in its toppings.

Papa Murphys will cook it for a buck just call ahead. Not as good as the Chicago style pizza you get for 15 bucks at the local Pizza joint lol but probably the best cheap pizza I'd tasted.

I'd seen some good deals on Dominos pizza though, if you pick it up. they charge an arm and a leg to deliver though :|.