Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trails in the Sky SC Receives an Update

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Trails in the Sky SC Receives an Update

XSEED Translator Tom Lipschultz has some news for Trails fans. However, he hopes you'll have some patience because it's going to be a trail before it arrives.

News

We kinda sorta rushed Trails on PSP, and as a result, the translation suffered in parts -- which is something we're endeavouring to fix for the PC release.
    Really? Because RPGamer (Macstorm) praised the game for its excellent localization. I agree with that assessment. Apparently "excellent" isn't good enough for XSEED.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I noticed that, too. I mean, a unique "this treasure box is empty" message for every single treasure box? A group of characters with vibrantly-realized personalities? All the books? Tom is being too hard on himself.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I know I heard the amount of text in SC is, uh, pretty insane. I forget the exact figures, but a friend mentioned and it was roughly "great googly moogly!"

I agree with the previous comments on the script. FC single-handedly renewed my faith that a good story-driven RPG could still exist, so if that was 'rushed', I may have to take back my encouragement for XSEED to take their time with SC. I'm never quite sure whether to give more credit to the writers or the translators, but either way I'm sure both were strong.

PS - I certainly hope we will get more talking treasure boxes...TitS wouldn't be the same without an assortment of chests.

SC about 3 million or so Japanese characters to translate and its not even the longest one in amount of text Sen No Kiseki on the PS3/Vita is almost double that at 5 to 6 million.

That's why until SC to AO no Kiseki get released in english text theirs no way Sen will be localized any time soon and Japan in getting Sen No Kiseki 2 this year.

Japanese people, of the games in the series, don't like Sen that much. See here.
    I haven't played any game except Trails of the series, but based on what I know about them, I will agree with the Japanese fans in thinking Sen isn't among the best games the series has to offer.

And now the plagiarism (Japanese fan favorites):
    1. Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter
    2. Trails of Zero
    3. Trails in the Sky (First Chapter)

Am I missing something that explains that claim? I mean, Sen not being in the top three doesn't mean it isn't widely enjoyed. FF7 and (inexplicably) FF10 dominate Japanese polls too, but that hardly means other entries aren't just as beloved.

Anyway, I too worry about the future localization of this series. Honestly, the problem is the sidequest text. The main scenario text itself isn't any longer than some of the meatier RPGs from the PSone era--Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, and FFT come to mind. There's just no reason to write that much for sidequests.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    And now the plagiarism (Japanese fan favorites):
    1. Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter
    2. Trails of Zero
    3. Trails in the Sky (First Chapter)
    Thanks for the poll. My spoiler-sense prevents me from exploring the link, but interesting to see. As Jormungand pointed out, I don't think it's too worrisome that Ao or Sen aren't on the list. In fact, I'm encouraged that Zero snuck in above FC (and I'm drooling more heavily seeing SC at the top).

The delay isn't an issue for me (I'm a buyer no matter what), however I fear if the localization continues to crawl, it could indeed bode ill for future games. I know Tom has mentioned that the pace could quicken since XSEED is more accustom to the games, and I'm sure having CF onboard will help (and Recettear was charming, so I think they will handle it well). But they may just not have the manpower or the business justification. I guess a bigger company could come along and take the ball, but then you lose XSEED's TLC, and it just won't be the same.

First things first...let's see how FC does on Steam, and if SC can really build some momentum. I think they will sell fine, but I don't know the price or the margins enough to be able to predict the financial success needed to merit future work.

Surprised to see a NeoGAF quote becoming a news article on RPGamer -- I thought I was reading Siliconera for a second (BAZINGA!).

Thanks for the kind comments on the translation, though, everyone! To clarify my statement, one of the things that makes the Trails series so challenging to translate is the fact that Falcom went kind of overboard on the foreshadowing. A lot of vague lines in FC are references to things in SC, 3rd, or even the later games (some are references that *still* haven't been entirely unveiled, even in Sen no Kiseki!), and it's in some of these quotes where we dropped the ball a bit. Lines that seemed like throwaway bits of background info were translated accurately, but with a certain degree of assumption behind them as well -- one line in particular, for example, was translated with a male pronoun, but the person being referenced is commonly believed by fans to be female (the line was left intentionally vague in Japanese, which is fairly easy to do since the language uses pronouns so infrequently), so this has been revised for the PC version.

There are other inconsistencies as well -- NPCs who are referred to by two different names at different points in the story, military ranks that are referred to differently at different points in the story, etc. -- and these are also being corrected for the PC version.

In general, the Kiseki series is a huge challenge because Falcom crafted such a meticulously detailed world, and a lot of those little details turn out to matter more down the line than they ordinarily would in other RPGs, so we have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL during localization, lest certain "minor" mistranslations come back to bite us in the next game.

Nothing was so grievously mistranslated in the PSP version as to create problems, but there are enough inconsistencies to be a little embarrassing for us, so we're trying our best to make sure everything is perfect during this second go-around.

...And as for the series' future, I do think we'll be a lot faster if and when we translate the next Kiseki title, as we've learned a WHOLE lot from these first two. But we'd prefer to keep working on FC and SC at the moment, and worry about the rest of the series after those are out the door.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrdwad View Post
    Surprised to see a NeoGAF quote becoming a news article on RPGamer -- I thought I was reading Siliconera for a second (BAZINGA!)
    Ahahaha, nah we didn't take an obscure comment or reply and blow it up into something completely out of context.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Plus, we've gotta take what we can get when it comes to Trails SC news. We're huntin' for crumbs here!

aah Grandia 2 you could carry on a whole conversation with an NPC in that one lol (or was it 1? or both? I don't think they included as much 'text' in 3 though... the idiot stepchild) wonder how much text in that one.

Anyway excelant news! as a non-portable gamer I can't wait to play this beloved game on PC! After Steam gives it to me for 5 bucks ... lol nah I'll probly settle for something like 12 a year after release. hopefully it'll be on Steam...

Surprised to see a NeoGAF quote becoming a news article on RPGamer -- I thought I was reading Siliconera for a second (BAZINGA!).
    File it under "a good deed never goes unpunished". By being responsive to fans, XSEED is open to sites spinning quotes. But the fact that there are people taking the time to conjecture is a good sign. Trails has been a slow burn since FC's US debut, and has survived via a long tail and good word of mouth. A Steam release will be a shot in the arm to pick up new blood while satiating current fans until SC arrives.

We try pretty hard not to spin quotes at RPGamer. I don't think our article does anything besides say, "Here's what Tom said about the current state of the game."

We've been pretty lucky to have Tom around these parts a long while. It's always nice to get his take on things, though I thought the game was translated well. I don't have a mind for all the little details in games, though.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    We try pretty hard not to spin quotes at RPGamer. I don't think our article does anything besides say, "Here's what Tom said about the current state of the game."
    Fair enough. I agree you're just reporting what's out there (same for the aforementioned Siliconera...except maybe for Last Guardian, hehe). Spinning is probably more what us commenters do . Maybe 'escalating' is a better term?

The point being, with the big boys, the only thing you'd get is 'please be excited', whereas XSEED gives you real feedback. And since each of their posts isn't a Legal-vetted press-release-type statement, the smallest slip can get folks into trouble. If an unannounced delay/problem gets back to the wrong investor expecting earnings in a certain quarter, someone may have some 'splaining to do!

Wait until a news site misquotes you, then watch 70 other sites (including some of the big guns) pick up that story. That was facepalm inducing, believe me.

I swear I had registered an account on the forums here ages ago, but either I'm remembering wrong, or it got lost over the many years I've been lurking the site. At any rate, I just had to chime in on this posting regardless, because as Ocelot said, crumbs indeed, and I felt the need to leave my supportive comments on the topic.
    As far as I am concerned, I hope that Tom and XSEED take as much time as they need, as I much rather have the end product be one of excellent quality, and that you guys continue to approach your games with the same kind of care and passion. It's something that seems largely absent in this day and age, and that may be a product of many factors, but as a fairly oldschool RPGamer myself, I intensely appreciate that it isn't completely gone. Keep up the incredible work, as I'm sure you will, and you can count on me to be picking up both titles when they first launch, as I would rather you guys get all that you are due for the work you have done.
    "Right or wrong are not what seperates us and our enemies. It's our different standpoint, our perspectives that seperate us. There is no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

Thanks for the kind comments on the translation, though, everyone! To clarify my statement, one of the things that makes the Trails series so challenging to translate is the fact that Falcom went kind of overboard on the foreshadowing. A lot of vague lines in FC are references to things in SC, 3rd, or even the later games (some are references that *still* haven't been entirely unveiled, even in Sen no Kiseki!), and it's in some of these quotes where we dropped the ball a bit. Lines that seemed like throwaway bits of background info were translated accurately, but with a certain degree of assumption behind them as well -- one line in particular, for example, was translated with a male pronoun, but the person being referenced is commonly believed by fans to be female (the line was left intentionally vague in Japanese, which is fairly easy to do since the language uses pronouns so infrequently), so this has been revised for the PC version.

There are other inconsistencies as well -- NPCs who are referred to by two different names at different points in the story, military ranks that are referred to differently at different points in the story, etc. -- and these are also being corrected for the PC version.

In general, the Kiseki series is a huge challenge because Falcom crafted such a meticulously detailed world, and a lot of those little details turn out to matter more down the line than they ordinarily would in other RPGs, so we have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL during localization, lest certain "minor" mistranslations come back to bite us in the next game.
    Oh, hey, thanks for the explanation!

That makes a lot of sense. If you can share -- and I absolutely understand you may not be able to -- do you guys usually play or otherwise research Zero, Sen, et cetera when you're working on the earlier games of the series? I know there's a very strong fan community for it, as you alluded to.