Thread: NIS America Gives Us Criminals and Goddesses

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

NIS America Gives Us Criminals and Goddesses

Anime Expo has barely started and already NIS America has some surprises for RPG fans. Which would you prefer to date? A criminal or a goddess?

News

if you're into rubbing suggestive pictures of anime girls criminal girls might be for you.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Why one or the another? Why not a criminal goddess?

Not guilty by reason of omnipotence, your honour.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    Why one or the another? Why not a criminal goddess?
    I think that's the definition of Manichean heresy.

I say swap Criminal to the PS3 and put the Fate game on the Vita.
    I don't own a Vita.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    And here, I thought Criminal Girls would never make over. Can't say this is an Imageepoch title I'm excited for. :P
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Why not both?

I need to see more of Criminal girls. I'm waiting for either VitaTV or Chrome Blue Vita.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    if you're into rubbing suggestive pictures of anime girls criminal girls might be for you.
    My wife might have a problem with that.

I don't see the point in trying to sanitize games like Criminal Girls through editing. Surely a game built around "punishing" women to make them more powerful is going to be pretty toxic in general, regardless of whether the actual punishing is removed. Of course I may be giving NISA too much credit in assuming this is actually what they're trying to do, as opposed to just attempting to curtail a bit of the inevitable outrage when they release it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    I don't see the point in trying to sanitize games like Criminal Girls through editing. Surely a game built around "punishing" women to make them more powerful is going to be pretty toxic in general, regardless of whether the actual punishing is removed. Of course I may be giving NISA too much credit in assuming this is actually what they're trying to do, as opposed to just attempting to curtail a bit of the inevitable outrage when they release it.
    It's almost certainly the later. Outrage over Japanese video games in the U.S. is more likely to cause new regulations to be put in place in Japan than it is to here. Can't have the Japanese gamers boycotting N1 because NISA bringing a sensitive game west resulted in additional restrictions on video game sales in Japan.

If they cared about the former, as you say, they wouldn't be bringing the game over in the first place.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I almost never see outrage over niche Japanese games here anyway. They're just not a big enough thing to make Fox News.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

If nobody freaked out about Persona 3 - you know, the game where "shooting yourself in the head" is a plot point, this will pass like a ship in the fog.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."

as i recall people did freak out a bit when P3's evokers wee shown. The best comparison is Monster Monpiece. Very few cared when it hit not long ago, so why would anyone care about this?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

It didn't hit cable news, and a certain ex-lawyer didn't lose his stuff over it (P3 released when he had a shred of notability left). Or maybe I'm over-thinking this.

Persona 3 really isn't a valid comparison. Japan doesn't allow gun ownership, so any controversy over depictions of teenagers shooting themselves in the head isn't likely to have any repercussions in Japan, as it's not easily possible there.

To be a bit more specific then... remember when the news here got a hold of Rapelay 8 years after people stopped caring about it? It amounted to... nothing, for us at least. However, in Japan some additional restrictions were placed on the sale of adult games as a result. There are some Japanese fans and adult game publishers that blame the US fans for this. In this case the game was pirated and never released here. But just imagine if something similar happened as a result of a game that was officially released outside Japan? Who would be blamed then? Probably the Japanese company that licensed the game for international release.

Games like Criminal Girls (and Mugen Souls, Photo Kano Kiss, etc.) deliberately contain erotic content. They are, for all intents and purposes, Adult Games that deliberately just barely squeak in with Cero D so they they can actually be sold on consoles/handhelds. (While Cero Z exists, is basically Just Cero D with an allowance for extra violence and crime depictions.)

If such a game did cause a controversy here, it's reasonable that Japan would tweak their Cero D rating's allowances for erotic content a bit, basically blocking those games and future games like them form sale on consoles, as they'd no longer fit into Cero D (or Z.) It would hurt the business of N1 not just because they can't make such games any more, but by damaging their reputation in Japan as well.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    I think that's the definition of Manichean heresy.
    That's so obscure, it's not even on Wikipedia. And my google-fu didn't work either. Care to explain what that is? A link would be fine.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    The Manichean heresy is a long-recurring school of thought within Christianity with roots dating back to Zoroastrianism. Generally when it cropped up in the medieval period, it got squashed really hard, really fast. Look up Catharism and the Albigensian Crusade sometime.

The original idea (from Zoroastrianism) was that instead of one supreme deity, there were two -- one good and one evil -- and that the evil one was in control of the world. The ancient Hebrews picked up this idea sometime during the time of Cyrus the Great, which is about when Satan became a more adversarial character in scripture and folklore. In the Cathar movement, the idea was that the "bad god" (i.e. Satan) was actually the god of the old testament, and the "good god" was the one who had saved us all spiritually from the evils of this dirty physical plane of existence. The Cathar theology gets even weirder past that point.

Nowadays, the term Manichean means any stark distinction between good and evil. I remember discussing the Lord of the Rings movies with the father of my host-teacher in France circa 2003, and that was the exact word he used to describe what he believed to be the weakest point in Tolkien's worldview, esp. with the Orcs vs. Elves dichotomy.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 07-07-2014 at 04:58 AM.

As far as I know the western version of Criminal Girls is censored, so there's probably no little girl rubbing in it.

NISA said something along the lines of "In order to bring this title to as many fans as possible in both North America and Europe, NIS America has edited certain aspects of this game."