Thread: Impression - Telepath Tactics: Guard Llama

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar

Impression - Telepath Tactics: Guard Llama

As work on Sinister Design's Telepath Tactics continues, a new face lifts his furry nose to the scent of battle. The Guard Llama mini-campaign provides a silly look at the mechanics of the forthcoming tactical RPG.

Impression - Telepath Tactics: Guard Llama

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Apparently, Guard Llama's battle where I saved the golem was procedurally generated. I wonder if that means side-quests similar to Final Fantasy Tactics' Deep Dungeon.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I've been following his blog to see how Telepath Tactics goes. It seems like he generally has the right idea. It isn't how I'd make a tactics game, but I mean that in a good way - I like his different approach. When he's finished, if he has a good demo, I could see myself picking up a copy of the game.

One of the things he does right is expanding the environment and obstacles system we've seen since the Tactics games of our youth. Playing Final Fantasy Tactics and seeing you could knock people off cliffs for extra damage was amazing, until you realized how little damage it did and how difficult it could be to do it reliably. Tactics Ogre had units building up barriers, ways to destroy barriers, many types of terrain movement based on race and class (Rune Fencer Hawkmen could fly and swim, yey!)... and yet beyond flight and rampart aura, I never found myself destroying the environment, placing traps/obstacles, or even remembering it was a feature. Knight of Lodis let you use weather magic to cause storms that would slowly flood the level. It had units that excelled in water, such as octopi and mermaids. Except for one or two levels where it was a plot point, it took too long to flood a level to make it a useful feature. It's a feature that every tactics game seems to have but none take advantage of making it compelling gameplay, and I like that Craig Stern seems to be taking it upon himself to keep Telepath Tactics from having this failing.

How is the interface like? The screenshots never show any? For example is there an easy way to overview the current HP/stats of each unit?

I'm already watching out for this game as SRPGs are basically my favorite genre (though I still don't really like the "his turn / your turn" system and neither do I like permadeath).

Thanks for the first impression!

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    How is the interface like? The screenshots never show any? For example is there an easy way to overview the current HP/stats of each unit?
    Perhaps this RPGamer video from PAX 2013 will answer your question.

Yeah that helps, thanks!

New York (State, or City also? NO ONE KNOWS)
    I remember playing the original Telepath RPG flash game when I was in high school and enjoying it greatly, so I'm interested in how this turns out. A shame I missed the Kickstarter.
    Twitters!
    Steams!
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-5875-0306
    Brave Frontier Player ID: 6146529113

It looks interesting, and it sounds like it's fun. The graphics are a bit of a turn off; they have a lifeless feeling that I can't quite pin down and put into better, more descriptive terms. But, if the gameplay shines through, I think that will make a big difference, and the breadth of options here sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Texside View Post
    It looks interesting, and it sounds like it's fun. The graphics are a bit of a turn off; they have a lifeless feeling that I can't quite pin down and put into better, more descriptive terms. But, if the gameplay shines through, I think that will make a big difference, and the breadth of options here sounds great.
    Graphics were a serious problem for me in Telepath RPG, that's why I never played it. I really just can't stand the 100% top-down view on the characters.
    But I think Telepath Tactics looks a lot better. So I'll be giving this one a try when released.

The top-down aspect doesn't terribly bug me, now that you mention it.

My criticism -- and this may be incoherent or simplistic, for which I apologize, because I'm much more of a wordy person than an arty person -- is that the backgrounds and characters look flat and uninspired. There isn't that mix of color, stylistic choice, and little visual cues that put even, say, a Fire Emblem game ahead of it. The art looks functional, but doesn't communicate something about the personality of the world and the characters to me. That's a shame, but not a dealbreaker.