Thread: Paradox Interactive Announces Runemaster

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Paradox Interactive Announces Runemaster

Paradox Interactive is treading slightly unfamiliar ground with its first self-developed RPG, Runemaster. Check inside for the initial info and media for this new title steeped with Norse mythology.

[ Story ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

As much as I love Norse mythology, when I saw the words "randomly generated worlds and quests" my interest level plummeted. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Aurian View Post
    As much as I love Norse mythology, when I saw the words "randomly generated worlds and quests" my interest level plummeted. :-\
    I feel exactly the same way on both counts. Love the setting (one of many reasons I remain a huge Valkyrie Profile fan,) but it has to be designed well.

Also, it just doesn't look appealing to me at all.

And I'm a fan of norse mythology as well.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurian View Post
    I'm interested, but we don't know much at all about the game yet. Randomly generated quests have worked well in past games I enjoyed like Mount & Blade (where it was more of a simulation) and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (which had randomly generated levels and quests). Runescape could realistically handle randomization like either of these and it could be fun. Most of my favorite strategy games like Civilization are randomly generated, and Distant Worlds is a randomly generated 4X game that works a coherent storyline into each playthrough. It's doable.

Paradox being new to this type of thing is what will keep me cautious. Given Paradox's pedigree, "rigid world and linear, lengthy storyline" would have made me even more cautious about this, to be honest. Your hopes probably should have plummeted as soon as you read "Paradox Interactive" before you even made it to "Norse."
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 08-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

It doesn't look that bad Angry Joe had a review with one of the guys who are making this and they seemed really exited about it. I guess this is one of those things that has to walk the walk.

I've been assuming from the start (when they announced it months ago) that this will be sort of like King's Bounty: Warriors of the North done right. Looks like I'm not entirely wrong in thinking that, but some parts of the gameplay are still rather vague.