Thread: BioWare Austin Takes on Modern Fantasy with Shadow Realms

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

BioWare Austin Takes on Modern Fantasy with Shadow Realms

BioWare's new IP has been unveiled as Shadow Realms, an online multiplayer title that pits four players against one. Will you be one of the heroes, or the clearly much cooler Shadowlord?

[ Story ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Okay, this sounds kind of amazing. Attempting to turn a traditional tabletop experience into a video game, complete with a "dungeon master" is something I don't think has ever been tried before.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

There should be more games with asymmetric multiplayer.

Third party developers have no confidence in the WiiU.

Any idea why that is? http://www.vgchartz.com/ <- more installed base than X1 but less than PS4. Doesn't that inspire some confidence?

You'd think so, eh?

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    the tablet sits on my coffee taunting me the design possibilities of asychronus multiplayer, and then i just play more mario kart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    There should be more games with asymmetric multiplayer.
    I imagine if Evolve or this does well enough, it might become the next developer fad.

I designed some asymmetric multiplayer games when I was younger. For example I made a Thunder Force fangame where the second player could play as the "Claw" (when bullets touch it, the bullets disappear and it has a weaker shot) rather than it automatically rotating around your ship.

I also made a scenario map for Starcraft where 4 players with normal base building in the corners had to fight against one player with more benefits.

Players actually seem to like asymmetric multiplayer quite a lot, even just telling them about simple ideas like that usually makes them go "Hey, that's interesting". Still hardly anything like this ever gets made. Maybe because balancing it is too hard?
    If it becomes a new developer fad then that would be cool.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I am definitely intrigued by this. It's different and original by the sounds of it.

I remember watching the teaser emails going "wtf?"

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Jmustang1968's Avatar
    I dont believe EA is going to be releasing any more games on Wii U.

It will actually be interesting how this game works out. I wonder how players will react on it, because it is likely that players will prefer one side eventually. Eventually either everybody wants to be the dungeon master or nobody wants to take the job.

They had an event for this at PAX today and I got the chance to see the alpha build. So far it looks okay, if in need of balance. The the 1 has been reliably beating the 4. Also, I hope the final game doesn't have just the "kill everything in the room, then go to the next room and kill everything, ad nauseam" gameplay pattern that was demoed. I can also see the potential for awesome fan mods if they release a mod tool set.

Ughhhh.... Nah I'm good. This sounds like something many of my fellow RPGamer board members will like, but I can pretty much say this is a flat out no for me.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief