Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS Impression

  1. #1
    - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ca, USA
    Posts
    608

    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS Impression

    One of the PSP's biggest games is back, this time in iOS form. Now that you can play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on your phone or tablet, the question is should you? Check out our impression to find out.

    -LINK
    Last edited by risingsun; 08-14-2014 at 12:53 PM.

  2. #2
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    One of the PSP's biggest games is back, this time in iOS form. Now that you can play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on your phone or tablet, the question is should you? Check out our impression to find out.

    -LINK
    Was pondering getting a controller just to play this but that sounds unnecessary.

  3. #3
    - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ca, USA
    Posts
    608
    No lie. A controller is the best way to play this game. BUT, the touch controls work surprisingly well. I think its the best implementation of virtual buttons/joystiqs emulating a controller that I have seen in an iOS game to date, but its still a virtual joystiq and buttons and thats a deal breaker for some.

    If you end up getting it let me know. I know Chris and I could use more help on big hunts.
    Last edited by risingsun; 08-14-2014 at 02:48 PM.

  4. #4
    Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,073
    I wouldn't spend $80 on a good MFI controller just to play this. Especially as much improved versions of the current gen of controllers are due out soon.

    One thing Manny missed, though. If you switch out of the app and go into another app for a long period of time, Monster Hunter will reset, meaning you'll lose progress if you hadn't saved. You can lock your screen for a long time without problem, but if you are going to switch out of the app and do stuff for a while, be sure to save first.

  5. #5
    Wait, you can connect a controller to an iPad?

    One thing Manny missed, though. If you switch out of the app and go into another app for a long period of time, Monster Hunter will reset, meaning you'll lose progress if you hadn't saved. You can lock your screen for a long time without problem, but if you are going to switch out of the app and do stuff for a while, be sure to save first.
    That sounds horrible! iOS players will be used to their game persisting permanently.

  6. #6
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Wait, you can connect a controller to an iPad?
    iPad and iPhone yes. Not sure that's the case with every generation of the iPad though, and I think only iPhone 5 and up (maybe 4?)

  7. #7
    Via which connection?

    Answered it myself: You use the connection with which you charge the iPad. Just need an adapter that transforms it to USB.

  8. #8
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Via which connection?

    Answered it myself: You use the connection with which you charge the iPad. Just need an adapter that transforms it to USB.
    Maybe some that way I guess but the primary way would be via bluetooth.

  9. #9
    - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ca, USA
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    I wouldn't spend $80 on a good MFI controller just to play this. Especially as much improved versions of the current gen of controllers are due out soon.

    One thing Manny missed, though. If you switch out of the app and go into another app for a long period of time, Monster Hunter will reset, meaning you'll lose progress if you hadn't saved. You can lock your screen for a long time without problem, but if you are going to switch out of the app and do stuff for a while, be sure to save first.
    That's true, a bunch of console quality MFi bluetooth controllers are about to hit soon. High quality and more ergonomic controllers from SteelSeries, Hori, Mad Catz, razer, and more. It took them a while but they everyone is finally getting their stuff together. That and from what I'm hearing not only will these new controllers be better, but also a bit cheaper, in the $50 to $80 range instead of $80 to $100 range they are in now.

    To the second point, because I have been playing on my Mini, which I primarily use for entertainment, switching out of the app and having it rest has never really been a problem for me. I could see it being annoying if you are playing on your iPhone and need to answer a long text or take a call.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •