Thread: Warlords of Draenor to Arrive in November

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Warlords of Draenor to Arrive in November

The latest expansion to Blizzard's hugely successful MMO is well on its way. It's even managed to reach the point where it gets a firm release date.

[ Story ]

Now with cinematic trailer.
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 08-15-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

When the expansion's pre-patch (patch 6.0) arrives, which is usually about a month before the expansion release date, a number of things in the game will become unobtainable. These include Pandaria challenge mode rewards (cosmetic armor, Pandaria Ancestral Phoenix mounts, challenge mode titles), the title "Of the Black Harvest" for the Warlock-only class quest, the Kor'kron War Wolf mount awarded from the achievement for defeating Garrosh Hellscream on Normal or Heroic difficulty, and possibly the various Brawler's Guild rewards.

Titles earned in the Proving Grounds will still be obtainable, but only through the new level 100 version of the Proving Grounds in WoD.

So, yeah. If you want any of those things, get 'em while you can.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    For Brawler's Club, it's not going away, but there's an achievement for completing it now. I don't know if that achievement rewards anything special, but I want to say an epic t-shirt? It's a little more subtle, but you have to acquired Gold on the Shado-Pan Monastery Challenge Mode in order to get the "Shado-Master" title (there are other requirements, but that's the one that's going away).
    My checklist:
    [X] Kor'kron War Wolf
    [X] All 4 Challenge Mode Mounts (thank you AnimeMan for helping us learn Scholo!)
    [X] Of the Black Harvest Title Acquired
    [ ] Challenge Mode Golds
    [ ] Heirloom Shield, Bow, and Staff (going away with WoD, not 6.0)

The Heirloom shield and offhand can never be your first heirloom, so even with 6.0 making your first heirloom per character 100% drop chance won't help me. Currently I have a huge stockpile of 1H heirloom axes and polearms and none of the others.

Last I heard, the developers said that the "Shado-Master" title would stay available. The challenge mode: gold achievement for Shado-Pan Monastery will no longer be required for the "Shado-Master" title, once the expansion comes.

All the level 90 account-bound heirloom weapons that Garrosh drops on Flex, Normal, or Heroic difficulty will be removed from his loot table in WoD. The developers have said that the drop rate for heirlooms will be substantially increased during the 6.0 pre-patch, ensuring that anyone who was extremely unlucky before should be able to get one.

The mount that Heroic Garrosh drops, the Kor'kron Juggernaut, is going down from a 100% drop rate to a 1-2% drop rate when 6.0 hits. Right now, the only way to get one is to either be in an elite guild, or pay an elite guild anywhere from 500,000 to 900,000 gold (this is an extremely high amount of in-game money).

Quote Originally Posted by Victar View Post
    Last I heard, the developers said that the "Shado-Master" title would stay available. The challenge mode: gold achievement for Shado-Pan Monastery will no longer be required for the "Shado-Master" title, once the expansion comes.
    That would be nice. Do you have a source for this?

One of my friends and his guild just managed to pull off Heroic Garrosh; was pretty awesome to see, and he lucked out on the mount roll .

If I'm no longer playing FF14 when this launches, I think I'll switch back and give it a try again. A big part of what kept me from playing WoW was the outdated visuals, and I like the look of the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    One of my friends and his guild just managed to pull off Heroic Garrosh; was pretty awesome to see, and he lucked out on the mount roll .

If I'm no longer playing FF14 when this launches, I think I'll switch back and give it a try again. A big part of what kept me from playing WoW was the outdated visuals, and I like the look of the new ones.
    They be outdated but they have survived far better then many MMO's that have used a more modern look from the same era (ie Perfect World International) also on that note som recently commented that even going from Guild Wars 2 to FFXIV it was like prettiest thing ever. So the more realistic look doesn't do so well as the more cartoony look that WoW did which think helped it's staying power better then many other MMO's
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Exactly what A.M. says here. Cartoon/Animated style visuals almost always 'age' a lot slower than more realistic ones. If you go back and play early 2000/late 1990s games with 'realistic' graphics, they are much harder to go back to than those with WoW style cartoon visuals.

Personally, I like WoW's visuals and style to this day. Granted, if I'm zoomed in one characters, I can see the low (by today's standards) poly count. Sure. But pulled back even a bit, and it looks just fine. The surroundings in a lot of areas look awesome, to this day. My main beef with WoW has always been the clothing design, especially at low levels. It looks like my character when to the Azeroth version of GoodWill, closes his eyes, and randomly chose boots, gloves, etc., and put them all on regardless of how horrible they look together. In playing FF14, that's been the largest, most noticeable change for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimKitten View Post
    That would be nice. Do you have a source for this?
    https://twitter.com/WatcherDev/statu...96140095832064

The Twitter of @WatcherDev, one of the developers - he also posts on the official WoW forums sometimes.

"We'll remove that requirement when Gold Shado-Pan CM becomes a Feat of Strength."

I'm too lazy to google the source, but I also heard that the unique challenge mode titles - not the ones earned from the achievements, but rather the temporary ones specific to each dungeon, which are kept only as long as one has the realm best time for a challenge mode - will also go out of the game. In their place, everyone who has ever held a realm best challenge mode time will get the permanent title of "Mistwalker".

Edit: eh, still couldn't find the source, but here's more info from Blizzard about challenge modes

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12930280

and one more thing worth emphasizing:

"Silver: The Pandaren Phoenix mounts awarded for a full set of Silver medals will become account-wide. If any character on an account has earned a full set of Silver medals, all four variants of the Pandaren Phoenix (Crimson, Ashen, Violet, and Emerald) will become available to all characters account-wide."

The four Pandaren Phoenix mounts are currently not account wide, and limited to one per character; it's nice to know that will change next expansion.
    Last edited by Victar; 08-16-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Hey JC, when was the last time you played? Back in Cataclysm, they made it so there are a few variants of matching armor sets that you get as you progress through the zones. A lot of people use heirlooms, but I've noticed some people hold onto the gear and using them for transmogrification now. Of course, then you hit Outlands and for the next hour of levelling all of your dungeons have really interesting recolours of popular tier sets and your quest rewards make you look like a space hobo. I used to take flak for rolling on boots when using heirlooms in other slots, so for fun once, I transmogrified my heirlooms to look like interstellar homeless chic, and suddenly I had people trying to force me to take gear. I guess it was so ugly that they wanted me to use dungeon gear so they could stop having to look at it.

Victar, thanks for that source! I still want to finish up golds, but now if I can't get them it's less of a loss. I've been doing them on my warlock, and while the warlock CM gold set is great, right now my warlock has the old priest Tier 3 set - a halo and wings on a little gnome that looks heavenly - at least until she bursts into hellfire and calls down infernals to rain from the sky. It'd be hard to give up that transmog set for anything, but hey, all those CM gold teleport spells would be really handy.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I played a few months ago :P Investing most of my time into higher level characters at that point, I looked better, but even as a level 90 Warlock, I did not look quite as good as even my low level characters in FFXIV. And, I'm comparing style, not graphic fidelity (which, obviously, FF14 wins since it's a much newer game). I admit that I don't spend time transmogging or take the time to find out which quest chains give matching sets. However, I do not go out of my way in XIV, either. Take a look at our low/mid level LaLaFell family below.

FamilyPic01.jpg
    I don't know *how* they did it, but in XIV, whatever you find just matches a lot more often than it does not. In WoW, Diablo, etc., the opposite is true. You have to go out of your way to transmog, find quests with matching sets., etc., to keep from lookin' like a hobo. I just don't have the time to jump through those hoops just for looks. In Diablo, the problem is a little less pronounced. The Diablo version of Transmog person is right there, and she automatically catelogues everything you touch, so the work you do to build up a sheer number of sets is minimal.

Still...I like XIV's "Nearly everything matches and makes you look good" approach. I mean, look at that pic. I don't know about the others, but I (the armored dude in the left center) got my stuff from three different sources: AH, questing and dungeon drops. Yet, you wouldn't know it lookin' at me. How to they do it????

On a side note, that's my wife to the left, and my two brothers on the right. Remember, a family that slays together, STAYS together. Especially if they look good!
    Last edited by jcservant; 08-17-2014 at 07:50 AM.