Thread: RPGCast - Episode 317: "Everyone Gets Tropico 4!"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 317: "Everyone Gets Tropico 4!"

RPGCast - Episode 317: "Everyone Gets Tropico 4!"

Manny and Chris report back from their recent hunting expedition. Phil teaches us about MMOs for beginners. Anna Marie does all the picrosses. And Jon breaks Steam.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/317

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Everyone Gets Tropico 4!"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

I'm proud of the fact that I managed to get Tropico 4 mid-sale for me and everyone else on my Steam friends list. (A whole ONE PERSON).

"Are there any other RPGs coming out this year?" How quickly you forget...
    Last edited by Shaymin; 08-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

In the original Warcraft RTS games - which form the original history of World of Warcraft - Garrosh's father Grommash "Grom" Hellscream does eventually die after he drinks Mannoroth's blood, but a LOT of other things happen in between.

Short version: the orc warlock Gul'dan persuades Grom and numerous other orc warlords to drink the blood of the demon Mannoroth. They become super-powerful and evil. The corrupted sorcerer Medivh opens a portal from the orc's world of Draenor to the main world of Warcraft/WoW, Azeroth. MASSIVE ORC INVASION! Azeroth's human-led Alliance barely wins, mostly because the evil orcs turn on each other. Grom actually drinks Mannorth's blood a second time somewhere in there, but eventually he regrets the evil he's done, enough to turn on Mannoroth and kill him. Grom dies after this titanic battle.

With Mannoroth dead, the orcs break the curse of the demon blood, although those who were affected and their descendants (including all player orcs in WoW) have their skin turned green. Humans keep orcs in slave camps. One orc, Thrall, rediscovers the ways of the shaman and works to free and unite the enslaved orcs, who ally with other races, and this is the beginning of WoW's Horde faction. Unlike Warcraft's demon-infused orc horde, WoW's Horde faction is not entirely composed of evil murderous bloodthirsty bastards. Well, not all of the time. Only sometimes.

King Varian Wrynn of the Alliance makes the mistake of declaring war on the Horde during WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Thrall makes the much bigger mistake of putting Garrosh, son of Grom, in charge of the Horde during the Cataclysm expansion. Garrosh cares only about the "True Horde", the orc horde, and his brutality against the other Horde races, the Alliance, and the Pandaren of Pandaria culminate in the Siege of Orgrimmar, the final raid of the Mists of Pandaria expansion.

Garrosh is removed from power in the raid, and put on trial in the book, War Crimes. He escapes with the aid of the corrupted, time-twisting Infinite Dragonflight. With their help, Garrosh takes a portal through time and space to the past of Draenor - 35 years ago, right before Draenor's orcs first tasted the blood of Mannoroth.

Garrosh changes history... sort of. His interference creates an alternate past in Draenor; he stops the orcs from drinking demon blood, which is what you see in the cinematic. Instead of drinking Mannoroth's blood, bringing horrific war to Azeroth, and then killing Mannoroth, Grommash Hellscream chooses to reject Mannoroth's blood, kill Mannoroth...

...and then BRING HORRIFIC WAR TO AZEROTH, which is the whole premise of the Warlords of Draenor expansion. It begins with the Dark Portal to Draenor turning red, and the Iron Horde, augumented with war machines instead of demon blood, pouring through to mercilessly slaughter everything in their path. Turns out orcs don't need demon blood to be bastards.

The developers have previously claimed that WoW's original past, including the shattered Draenor that was the setting of the Burning Crusade expansion, still happened. Garrosh's actions actually created a whole new, alternate timeline that directly threatens the present-day Azeroth of WoW's timeline. The Dark Portal has become a bridge between between parallel universes.

My recommendations for WoW streaming: play on a PvE server, getting ganked and corpse-camped isn't fun. I recommend the Horde faction, but just pick the race you like best - if you really want to be an alliance worgen wolfie, go for it. Play on a high-population server, or at least a medium-pop. Make sure your chosen server has a decent population of your chosen faction (for example, Area 52 is heavily Horde and has almost no Alliance. I think Proudmoore is heavily Alliance and has almost no Horde).

If you have a level 60 character on your account (required for death knight creation), play as a Frost death knight; they're fun, easy to use, and hard to kill. Otherwise, play a warlock, and use the voidwalker/voidlord pet to tank things for you. Good luck!

Oh, and here's a source for the single most important aspect of the WoD storyline, from one of Blizzard's Community Managers:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3...he-iron-horde/

"Multiverse. The moment Garrosh went back an alternative timeline skewed off. Nothing in this alternate Draenor affects our timeline, except that Garrosh has opened a portal back to our universe to bring the Iron Horde through and murder us.

Is this still actually a confusion point?"

I'm surprised Chris didn't plug Geekly Weekly. I happen to like that show for 2 reasons, 1) some of the hobbies/card/board games/gadgets mentioned were pretty novel and unique sounding, 2) Because Savva is so sleep deprived and time-poor from co-looking after a newborn and infant, it's interesting to see what he HAS got time to play.
    But thanks for a great show and the many podcast suggestions.
    If only I had an iphone, but alas I got android devices, because you make monster hunter sound good.

Sady, while Android has the largest install base worldwide, it's also got a triple-dev-whammy against it. First being it's splintered into about a billion devices and multiple requisite OSes to support (conversely, Apple has like 10 devices and a maximum of 3 OS, someone correct me if my numbers are wrong ;P). Second being Android users spend less money compared to iOS users; there's a lot of theories behind this, including the fact that Apple devices are more expensive and thus bought by people with more disposable income etc, but it's also tied to point three -- Third being Android is easy to hack (or at least easier to hack than an iPhone) so the pressure to spend is significantly lessened because hey, you can just steal what you want, right?

That's not even mentioning the fact that it's prohibitively difficult to pull something that's a copyright violation off the Google Play store, AND their search stinks. Type in "Harvest Moon" on an Android -- see if Frantic Farming even shows up.

I do like the third point. Because even if I never steal anything on Android, there is pressure to make buying easier than stealing, which helps keep prices low.

Speaking of that, I need to support the Ankidroid developer with a donation (mobile client for Anki). Their program is free (ad-free too, so it's really free) and I use it all the time, so I should probably support the developer.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Thanks Shaymin, unfortunately I was otherwise indisposed and unable to yell it on the podcast itself :P

Just adding in how I came to join RPGamer, not very interesting but hey. I initially found the site are actively looking for a more niche community to join after starting to struggle a bit emotionally in general. I ended up initially picking RPGamer after I read Gaijin's "review" of Trusty Bell 2 Then I quickly joined the forums and hung around since ^^

I joined the staff a little under a year after joining the forum when they had a major hiring call and I'd not-too-subtely started doing some random blog writing, think it also helped that I'd interacted with some of the staffies on Twitter and such beforehand.

(As Quin mentioned I met up with him and Nyx in London a couple years back, and I've also met Oce when I was in Buffalo)
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I'm surprised Chris didn't plug Geekly Weekly. I happen to like that show for 2 reasons, 1) some of the hobbies/card/board games/gadgets mentioned were pretty novel and unique sounding, 2) Because Savva is so sleep deprived and time-poor from co-looking after a newborn and infant, it's interesting to see what he HAS got time to play.
    But thanks for a great show and the many podcast suggestions.
    I think Chris didn't mention it cause he probably forgot about it. They've only had 3 episodes this year. I love the show too, but the increasingly sporadic releases make it hard to follow and easy to forget about, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Sady, while Android has the largest install base worldwide, it's also got a triple-dev-whammy against it. First being it's splintered into about a billion devices and multiple requisite OSes to support (conversely, Apple has like 10 devices and a maximum of 3 OS, someone correct me if my numbers are wrong ;P). Second being Android users spend less money compared to iOS users; there's a lot of theories behind this, including the fact that Apple devices are more expensive and thus bought by people with more disposable income etc, but it's also tied to point three -- Third being Android is easy to hack (or at least easier to hack than an iPhone) so the pressure to spend is significantly lessened because hey, you can just steal what you want, right?

That's not even mentioning the fact that it's prohibitively difficult to pull something that's a copyright violation off the Google Play store, AND their search stinks. Type in "Harvest Moon" on an Android -- see if Frantic Farming even shows up.

The whole "its splintered" argument is really a tired argument mostly used by Apple fans who want to justify their decisions, more than being a real issue. The ("IBM-compatible"..) PC market is even more "splintered", and that didn't stop it from becoming the most dominant and lucrative personal computer market, handily defeating Apple and all the other competitors over the last 30 years. Sure, they can't say that their apps will work on every device, but PC developers have had specs listed on applications for decades, and even Apple can't guarantee their apps will work on every iDevice either, they often have to deprecate support for older devices or sell different versions for the ipad and iphone. Any developer using that as their excuse is probably new to programming. And as an end-user, I prefer having a choice of a wide variety of devices to find one that suits my needs, rather than getting a single cookie-cutter choice.

I won't argue that most Android users aren't willing to spend as much money. However, I don't think its because "Apple users have more money", just that Apple fans are usually more willing to spend more money for mostly the same thing just for that shiny status symbol logo. But the slam against Android users just being thieves is just based on a bias and amounts to little more than an insult. Apple devices are pretty easy to hack too, and if someone in that walled garden wants something for free, they can get it just as easily. The vast majority of Android users are not stealing what they want, they are just more savvy about how they spend their money in general, evidenced by the fact that they spent less money for a superior device . People who are going to steal software, are going to do it regardless of which platform they are on. (And lets not even bring up the fact that iphones/ipads are far more likely to be physically stolen than androids)

I wont defend their search though. For a company that was founded on a search engine, the Play store search seriously sucks. On the other hand, why would I expect something called "Frantic Farming" to show up if I searched for "Harvest Moon"? That seems like an illogical result for the search term, and I can see why it wouldn't show up. (Though I don't even see "Frantic Farming" when I search for "Frantic Farming").

You can probably argue that it is too easy for copyright violations to get into the Play store, although I have seen apps pulled- emulators for instance. On the other hand, as a person who prefers my freedom, I'm more willing to accept potential copyright violations making it onto the Play store, over the walled-garden excessively over-managed apple store. Although that's my opinion as an end user. As a developer, I'd be developing for both platforms in order to reach the widest audience, and the potential copyright violations would bother me. I do agree that the fact that Google's owned companies like Youtube make it perhaps too easy to remove anything that anyone/anybot even just claims to be copyright violations, but that the Play store does not make it easy at all, is an odd discrepancy on Google's part. However I expect that will be changing as the market place evolves and matures. At some point Google will have to take a more active role as rights-holders have legitimate claims and complaints.
    Last edited by smacd; 08-18-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, as long as staffers are sharing...

I've been visiting RPGamer for a number of years. I first came upon the site in 2004, when my sister was searching for trailers to download. I would occasionally check on the site for screenshots, but didn't start visiting regularly until a year later. I started sending emails to Q&A some time later, though I wouldn't join the forums until March 2006. Looking back at some of those early letters, I really was an oddball. :P From then on I posted on the forums often, occasionally taking months-long breaks due to school. I continued to send in Q&A letters and later on submitted one reader review, a phone call or two and some audio recording to RPG Cast and RPG Backtrack. I grew to really like RPGamer and the people there, both forums members and staffers and enjoyed the reviews and features

In 2011, a hiring call went out for staff reviewers and I submitted an application, as I had just finished college and found myself with a lot of time. I wasn't hired as a reviewer, but I was offered a position as a news writer. I accepted and have contributed what I could ever since, having found a real job and thus not having as much free time as I'd like.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

To be clear, I'm not an Apple fan (and I understand the objection). I have zero interest in owning a Mac of any kind, and the only reason I have an iPhone is because it's a hand-me-down. If Chris used Android phones, so would I; he's actually been batting around getting an Android tablet for gaming. Apple retires older devices; you can have your own opinion about the merits of forcing users to upgrade or be left behind. It's probably a similar debate the PC crowd has. And yes, the PC market is "splintered," but having spoken to people who develop for both PC and Android, they've told me it's really not comparable -- but that could vary largely from developer to developer. Yeah, I was being flipping with the stealing comment, but it's not without merit; Ouya sell-through, anyone?
    But hey, could be worse, it could be the Microsoft store

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Here are the podcasts I mentioned on the show:

-Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    : They are all pretty great. Jump in at the beginning of any series.

-NPR's Planet Money podcast -- Their series on how a T-shirt gets made, from grown the cotton to shipping it to your door is amazing and a great example of how globalized our world has become.

-The X-files Files - Great if you want to get into a new series or get back into the x-files and follow along with celebrity guests and passionate fans.

I'm going to avoid the tech tribalism debate and just say this: Buy what makes you happy and fits your lifestyle, needs, and budget. Don't ever let someone make you feel bad for choosing to consume one thing over an other. It's just consumer electronics after all.