Thread: Impression - Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Impression - Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment

Namco Bandai hopes to provide a faux-MMO experience on the Vita with this title, based on the popular novel and anime series, which is launching in North America today. Our reviewer is here to provide his early impressions of the title.

[ Impression ]
    [ Impression Screenshots (I love this feature) ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I guess this was made for the gazillion people who showed up in my MMORPG community when the Sword Art Online anime finished airing asking for "MMORPGs like Sword Art Online" (seriously, it was at least 200 people who just registered there to ask that question).

Sounds like one to skip, from what I've read here! The anime had issues (to say the least and put it mildly at best), and the menus and control issues sound like good signs of a slap-dash tie-in game.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    I've played some more over the last few days and the gameplay is holding up well. Boss fights are pretty fun and MMO-like (although maybe with less tactics than most actual MMOs but that's understandable with AIs). The controls work nicely (think that's what I said in the actual impression) - only "problem" is you can't really use items easily but I think that's deliberate and means you need to use skill healing or plan ahead instead - and fortunately the menus don't need using too much, though when you do they are a pain. Localisation is still stupid, one of the more hilarious and frustrating things I hadn't mentioned earlier is when it tries to refer to place names. I've seen locations translated in three different ways sometimes
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I generally put a lot of emphasis on the writing/translation/story in RPGs, so I'm gonna have to stay far, far away from this one. (The poor localization seems to be a universal complaint)